Old 11-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #103
oscar
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
If you are really concerned about dry bearings on startup you can plumb in a spring loaded resevoir and electric selinoid valve. The selinoid closes when you shut off the engine. when you turn on the key switch the selinoid opens and releases the oil from the canister lubricating the bearings. I consider it a waste of time and $$$. But then I dont have a problem letting a diesel engine sit for years with old oil, fuel, and heaven forbid antifreez and then starting it up and putting it to work. May even get around to changing the oil, but probably not this year. Never had a problem and I have more important things to worry about.
There ya go bud. Don't let a selinoid get in your way. Or a solenoid for that matter.

While I'm making fun of you I have to admit that I put 160,000 (!!!!!) miles on my college car and never got an oil change, and it ran like a bat out of hell, probably thanks to me flooring it at all times. Now I DID have more important things to worry about, of the coed flavor.

Still, if it was my $XX0,000 boat, I would think twice.