new member - Present 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Take Five

Vessel Name
Take Five II
Vessel Make
Present 42
Hello all,* just want to introduce myself,* Christine & Graham, from Nassau.* Just bought a '87 Present 42,* this forum and a lot of input from *"Forklift", were instumental in helping us decide to buy this boat. The boats a little rough but has good "Bones" so....let the games begin!

* Welcome aboard. J.T.Duncan

Welcome aboard Take Five! You guys are in an awesome area. Please keep us posted on progress. Are your Shakedown cruise plans shaping up?

Thank you, We had a family function last weekend so have not had much time on the boat yet, but hope to "go play" with her this weekend, next week is our 40th wedding anniversary and the boss has decided we are going to Cuba for a few days, so there goes another weekend, but I hope to spend the weekend aboard the following weekend! So far so big suprises, lots of dirt, a little mildew, just need some time and elbo grease, hey.. what did the water rat say.... " just messing around in boats"
Regards
Graham

I was only aboard one Present 42 and it was very nice indeed.
Best of luck with her!!

Take Five:
I'm interested in a 1986 Present 42! It has 1650 hrs on the Ford Lehmans and looks like a clean boat. I love the layout of this boat. Anything in particular I should be on the look out for? Good Luck with your new adventure!

Hi Liquid Living, So far she is proving to be a solid well built boat, Like all boats of that era systems need to be upgraded. There is a good article posted on the forum "Magazine articles on taiwanese trawlers" that is well worth reading. Have a good diesel mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection on the engines and gen-set for you. and a good survey of the hull. If she passes, then the rest is time, money and elbo grease. I have not had too much time in the boat yet, so no real surprises yet !! Give American Diesel a call with the model no's of the engines ( I am assuming she has Ford Leymans?) and they can give you the run down on what you have in her. There is one model of Ford that had a history of valve trouble. Thats about all the help I can be at this time. Best of luck.
Graham

Living Squid,

Be sure to look closely at the fuel tanks, rudder posts, struts and around the interior windows for problems.

OK Thanks, What are we looking for on the rudder posts??
Regards
Graham

Graham,
I think what Marinetrader is referring to is the mounting condition of the rudder support bracket. A couple of years ago I accessed both upper rudder supports and found the bolts (3/8 ss lag bolts as I recall) had backed out a bit. The support is a wide fabricated flatbar that has a greasable bearing at the top that rudder stock slips through and the steering arm attaches on top of. Below the support is the rudder packing. I THINK I recall 3 bolts on each side of each bracket that have to be retightened with a 9/16" wrench.
I looked for pictures last night to post- was sure i had some- but no luck. About once a year since I pull the mattress and a lower drawer out to access and retighten.
So far- all of the bolts have retightened and not stripped. When they do I plan on repairing the holes with West System thickened epoxy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom