Afterdeck Overhead Beams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Replacing my old support beam in my aft deck ceiling . The ceiling now has an old dry rotted 2 x 8 that is just straight on the bottom . I wanted to add some arch to the bottom . I'm building a new one with 7 layers 1/ 2 " marine ply laminated together with mahogany on the bottom 10 1/2 ft long . The entire ceiling will get painted along with new beam . I plan on adding some smaller support beams that run fore and aft .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 117
Greetings,
Mr. PM. Impressive BUT, plain is sooo "last week". How about carved, painted and gilded?

DSC_0654.jpg

Nice. You should do a summer trip up to Newport to the IYRS and give them a hand with the coronet.

Spell check via iPhone.

Yeah it is kinda plain . I never could carve . Maybe after everything is up and painted it won't look so plain . But it's much better than the old . There is an old saying don't where it came from " build by the shabby beam and die by the shabby beam " . I still have my eye on that GB Alaskan . Lots of woodwork there .

I think that looks great, Marty! Who wants gaudy and gilded in a real man's boat?

I wish I had your skills.

Marty, I'm thinking of beefing up mine to put more weight on top. Do you have a pic of the inside ceiling on your aft deck, I'm having difficulty picturing exactly what your doing.

Marty, I'm thinking of beefing up mine to put more weight on top. Do you have a pic of the inside ceiling on your aft deck, I'm having difficulty picturing exactly what your doing.
Yesterday we carried the new beam out to the boat to check out the fit/camber . I screwed a couple cleats to the bottom of the old beam to let let the new beam rest on while we checked fit . So far so good . When we are ready to install new we will shore up the ceiling to the deck with some 2x4 s and then take out old beam , install new beam and the remove the 2x4s.
The old beam is dry rotted ,weak and it's straight across the bottom . I wanted to add some heft and also put some arch in the bottom to give it a better look .In the picture you can see the straight portion of the old beam behind the new.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 234
Dude, you have a ceiling fan on your boat! That's awesome.

Ah! Got it, thanks. Mine has about 6 much flimsier beams glassed in to the ceiling. I would never have thought of using laminated ply to get the arch. I am jealous of your skills, hope to see the finished product. PS: The ceiling fan is a nice practical touch, doubt I have the headroom for one.

Dude, you have a ceiling fan on your boat! That's awesome.
When we bought the boat we said that was going to be the first thing we took off . Now we can't live without it . There is a switch on the ceiling right where we step on the boat . That's the first thing that gets turned on .It goes well with the roof mounted AC.:socool::socool:

For cruisers there are 12V DC fan units.

1. DC Ceiling Fan - Backwoods Solar

www.[B]backwoodssolar[/B].com/40inch-12-volt-ceiling-fan-whiteCached

These ceiling fans come with four 40" diameter WHITE blades and a WHITE housing. The 12 volt, three speed reversible motor is operated by an infrared remote control ...

2. Solar Dc Fan - DC Ceiling Fan Manufacturer from...

www.indiamart.com/suratexim-private-limited/solar-fan.htmlCached

Solar Ceiling Fan with Remote Control & 50% Energy Saving: Excellent quality and precisely engineered assortment of Solar Ceiling Fan with Remote Control which is ...

3. Back Woods Solar Dc Overhead Fans - Video Results

Joy got them primed today :flowers:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 232
Marty: i got to thinking some Gargoil caps might set it off nicely. Lightweight paper mâché cooked in epoxy would do the trick.

Ok as soon as they are painted and installed you can photo shop something . The primer was supposed to be white but they shipped gray . :facepalm:

Grey/white .... Is that Interlux Brightside "Pre-Cote"?

I love the stuff. It brushes so smooth I almost get excited using it.

Last edited:
Yes this Interlux Primecoat .I will paint it (whoops Joy will paint it )with one part Interlux
Although I've been reading a bunch about painting wood and most wood boat guys prefer good ol enamel over the poly on wood . I would use enamel but I already have some brightside .

They're up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 223
ok, how do I say this without getting everyone upset?
in the interest of correct language (no, not trying to start another thread) I think we're talking about the after deck overhead. The ceiling I believe is the interior planking of the vessel...
:hide:

always one of my favorite places--especially if it has the swinging doors

Looks great Marty. No ceilings on water craft only overheads, bulkheads, decks, stantions, etc.

Marty.....great job. Quite a bit more stylish with the curve, while appearing more substantial. I think you got the look you were working for. Have you walked the new boat deck yet?

Looks great Marty. No ceilings on water craft only overheads, bulkheads, decks, stantions, etc.
Thanks for correcting me on proper watercraft terms . That happens when a cabinet maker is a wantabe shipwright . Larry I have walked on the new overhead and it feels about the same .

Looks great, Marty! I'm not surprised. :thumb::thumb:
Thanks Al ,
Can you change the title for me to " afterdeck overhead beams " so it looks like I know what I'm doing ?

Thanks Al ,
Can you change the title for me to " afterdeck overhead beams " so it looks like I know what I'm doing ?

No worries. Made the change before too many thread reports came in about improper phraseology. I sure hate it when that happens!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom