Raritan PHII Odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frgeorgeh

Vessel Name
Ten Knots
Vessel Make
42' Californian LRC
Hi folks,

We have two Raritan PHII toilets and an Electro Sans plus a small holding tank - which we do not use.

Lately we are getting a bad smell while flushing. These are salt water toilets.

I performed treatment recommended by Raritan using Muriatic Acid. No real improvement. Then I got idea that perhaps there were dead critter remains inside the toilet causing the smell.

I emptied the bowl and filled it with fresh water and Barnical Buster. I disconnected the inlet hose to the toilet and connected it to a small pump in the bowl. This circulated the BB mix through the innards of the toilet. See picture

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447175386.245986.jpg

I let this run for about thirty minutes. There is some improvement but not much. I did the wet rag test on the hoses and the smell isn't coming from them.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I have a similar set up and the salt water will stink if it sits for a while. That includes the water sitting in the hose from the thru hull to the head. I run the flush several times to get "fresher" water in the system. I also flush the system with Muriatic acid from Raritan twice per year. At the start of the season and at the end of the season.

You need to take the bowls off, flip them upside down, pour a acid/water mix into the hole that feeds water to the rim of the bowl, let it sit and repeat the acid flushing several times while scrubbing the rim hose with a toilet brush from time to time. Then flush the rim with fresh water repeatedly. Both through the feed hole and back through the rim holes. Scrub the rim holes again with a toilet brush while flushing.

Then add an inline strainer to the raw water lines going to you heads so you wouldn't have to do this again. :D

Hi folks,

We have two Raritan PHII toilets and an Electro Sans plus a small holding tank - which we do not use.

Lately we are getting a bad smell while flushing. These are salt water toilets.

I performed treatment recommended by Raritan using Muriatic Acid. No real improvement. Then I got idea that perhaps there were dead critter remains inside the toilet causing the smell.

I emptied the bowl and filled it with fresh water and Barnical Buster. I disconnected the inlet hose to the toilet and connected it to a small pump in the bowl. This circulated the BB mix through the innards of the toilet.
I let this run for about thirty minutes. There is some improvement but not much. I did the wet rag on the hoses and the smell isn't coming from them.
Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm a little confused by that.. I can see from your photo that one end of the hose is connected to a pump...but what did you connect the other end of the hose to? It's obvious that you disconnected the head inlet line from the inlet fitting on the toilet pump, but surely the clear water hose you've connected to the pump CAN'T be your toilet intake line! Without a hose connected to the pump, there's no way that the Barnacle Buster could have circulated through the "innards" of the toilet unless you're referring only to the channel in the rim fo the bowl. (Btw...why did you use a barnacle remover????)

I suspect the remains of some animal or vegetable sea life are dead and decaying in your head intake line. Turn off or otherwise disable your ElectroScan. Disconnect the head intake line from the thru-hull ('twould prob'ly be a good idea to close the seacock first), stick it into a full bucket of clean fresh water to which you've added a quart of distilled white vinegar...flush the whole bucketful. That will run it through the WHOLE system--intake line, pump, channel in the rim of the bowl AND the discharge line. Let it sit for 45 min-1 hour. Flush another bucketful of clean fresh water through the system to rinse it out. That SHOULD solve your problem.

After 2 full buckets of fresh water, it will be necessary to restart your ElectroScan with sufficient brine solution to restore the salinity level needed treat the waste.

The outlet of the pump is connected to the hose that feeds the bowl. BB is acid so it should have cleaned the passages. But based on the color of the water the solution looks a little weak.

I've found if the toilet is old I've needed a fairly hot mix to flush all the crap and mineral build up out from the rim holes.

Greetings,
Mr, frg. THREAD CREEP! How's life treating y'all. We haven't heard much from you recently. I trust all is well. Done any fishing? When we were down for FLIB we went out twice. First time a double header of sailfish (lost one and "landed" the other of ~70lbs). Second time 1 "schoolie" dolphin just over the 20" minimum size which tasted GREAT.

The outlet of the pump is connected to the hose that feeds the bowl. BB is acid so it should have cleaned the passages. But based on the color of the water the solution looks a little weak.

I've found if the toilet is old I've needed a fairly hot mix to flush all the crap and mineral build up out from the rim holes.

It may be a great way to clean out mineral buildup, but minerals don't stink...decaying organic matter does. And just circulating anything through the channel in the rim of the bowl won't do a thing for either mineral buildup OR dead and decaying sea life in the inlet line and/or pump.

Yeah, as I mentioned the only way I got them cleaned out was to remove the bowl and acid flush it. The acid opens up the passages so the crap can be flushed out. It was amazing some of the stuff that would come out. And the increase in volume of flush water coming out of the rim holes was very noticeable to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom