My Short Haul Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ted,
I am watching each photograph and feeling like I have so much work today, just to be reasonable, but never come close to the beauty you have created. I do have to shake my head thinking about a weightbelt or tank being dropped on the deck.
You have an amazing yacht.
Henry

Henry, I've been on your boat. You and your wife are no slackers when it comes to maintaining your beautiful home on the water. Only dive gear this boat will likely see is a hookah rig, mask, fins, and a wetsuit.

As a public service, to remind folks what is NORMAL on many boats I present my recently hauled hull. Ted's not helping us common men at the dock with the launch of this shining example of perfection.

Al, clearly you taking pride in maintaining your boat to a high standard as evident in your effort to meticulously repair the recent damage from the Hatteras. See very few on this forum that I would call common when it comes to maintaining their pride and joy.

Ted

Some more pics from the boatyard today;

All the wire runs are completed and the pilothouse ceiling is back in place.

DSCN1613.jpg

Both anchors and all chain are now on board.

DSCN1601.jpg

73 pound Rocna and 66 pound Bruce are in place. The Rocna is secure but just doesn't look right in the pulpit.

DSCN1591.jpg

Really like the strike plate on the bow. Easier to refinish than repainting the bow.

DSCN1594.jpg

Something for the admiral so that she can watch her Redskins play.

DSCN1607.jpg

Ted

I love the finish and attention to detail , ....... Wow great job Ted

Enjoy it when you get her back in water.

Cheers Chris D Liberty Australia

Ted ,

My Rocna looks the same, from what I get gather they are really designed to go over the top , rather than thou the pulpit. You will quickly forget about the look, as when on the water , people will really be looking at that great finish.

By the way can you tell us about the Anchor winch, make and type ?

Ted ,

My Rocna looks the same, from what I get gather they are really designed to go over the top , rather than thou the pulpit. You will quickly forget about the look, as when on the water , people will really be looking at that great finish.

By the way can you tell us about the Anchor winch, make and type ?

Hi Chris, Thanks, yes very happy with how she has tuned out.

The winch is made by the Ideal Windlass Company. They've been around since the 1930s and build really solid stuff (mine weighs about 200 pounds!), service everything they have ever made, and do lots of custom winches. Mine has 2 wildcats and 2 gypsies. The gypsies turn whenever the motor runs and the wildcats can be locked in or freewheel through friction plates and the hand wheels on either end. Body is stainless steel; everything else is chrome plate bronze. This model comes in 5 sizes with mine being a number 4 I think. Several different configurations of wildcats and gypsies are offered. They also make vertical windlasses, bought one for my charter boat this year. :thumb:

Ted

Whoa man this baby is really coming together now . This boat / refit is beautiful. Great job thanks for taking us along .

Last edited:
Did you pull her out in Ft Myers, if so where?

Thanks
Henry

Whoa man this baby is really coming together now . This boat / refit is beautiful. Great job thanks for taking us along .
Thanks Marty! The end is in sight. Boat will be coming out of the building on Wednesday.

Ted

Ted: Do you remember what you used for the friction plates under the chain on the pulpit?
Hi Larry, the plates are Starboard. A slippery polymer material that is very abrasion resistant and extremely durable. It's great to work with. Easy to cut with a power saw or table saw. Can be easily shaped with a router. The plates will wear mostly at the winch end on my boat. After worn enough it can be switched around and even flipped. Have some more pics I will post shortly of stuff we have made out of Starboard.

Ted

Projects are rapping up very nicely in the boatyard. Here are some more pics from today.

Swim platform is back on freshly painted and Kiwigripped with polished guard around the perimeter.

DSCN1639.jpg

The stern running light has been a bone of contention for me since purchase. Poorly mounted and virtually unprotected, it's been wacked several times by the dingy outboard motor.

MC36.jpg

Finally complete, the light now sits recessed into the roof line. The dingy cradle can be seen directly behind it.

DSCN1619.jpg

Above the light is a 1" thick Starboard shield protecting it from the outboard inadvertently striking it.

DSCN1617.jpg

DSCN1620.jpg

All corners nicely rounded, it's as attractive as it is functional. Starboard is extremely easy to work with and machines very well with a router or sander.

DSCN1638.jpg

VHF antenna and the light mast are now finished.

DSCN1623.jpg

The Shakespeare antenna upper mount didn't move the antenna to a vertical position. So a spacer made out of Starboard was fabricated to move the antenna to the proper position.

DSCN1625.jpg

The light tower was made out of a VHF mast that was reinforced which increased the outside diameter of the mast. So a custom upper mount needed to be fabricated out of Starboard. Turned out extremely well! In case I haven't mentioned it, I really like Starboard. :thumb:

DSCN1627.jpg

Here is the light mast top with anchor light, masthead light, boat deck light, and wind weather station. Think it turned out very well.

DSCN1636.jpg

Ted

If you have owned a boat for quite a while, you will notice the sun tends to degrade electrical cables that are exposed. These VHF cables, light cables, and other cables get brittle and crack from constant exposure to the sun. While I try to eliminate any exposed cables, there are some you have no choice on. My solution is to cover the cables with wire loom. This plastic jacket has an open seam down one side so that it can be flexed over and around a cable. I cover all my exposed cables securing the wrap with a small wire tie at each end. The loom only covers the cable and doesn't go through the sealing cable gland. The loom last for a number of years but becomes brittle from the sun and will eventually break. So the plan is to replace all of it every 5 years. Here are some pics of it from my refit:

DSCN1630.jpg

DSCN1631.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1634.jpg

Ted

Great stuff, Ted. Love your cable wraps. I never thought of that, but it makes me more thankful for my covered slip.

I just can't get over how shiny everything is.

She looks great,

Thanks!

Amazing.
I hope you arranged for WBOC to be their for her rebirth on Wednesday.

Think I'll keep it low profile. Not everyone appreciates what you spend your time and money on.

Great stuff, Ted. Love your cable wraps. I never thought of that, but it makes me more thankful for my covered slip.

Would really like a covered slip. Few and far between in this area. :cry:

Ted

Lots of clever details in this rebuild. I bet you'll be glad to see her outside.

Yes, can't wait to splash her. Hopefully that will happen middle of December and then head South 1st of the year.

I just can't get over how shiny everything is.
Yes, lots to keep clean, polish and wax. What was I thinking. :facepalm:

Ted

I can see your grin from the west coast. Great day, great job.

So, isn't it about time you introduced us to Sean and had him take a big bow???

Would really like a covered slip. Few and far between in this area. :cry:
Ted

She's such a shippy ship without an ounce of brightwork. She needs no cover over her arse! I wouldn't want your wax bill, though! :eek: :facepalm: :D

Just gorgeous. A little to much white for my taste.;) BUT my wife says I have no taste>:banghead:

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Well done. I'm speechless! We'll sort of....

Thanks! Definitely a sense of calm and accomplishment leaving the boatyard last night.

I can see your grin from the west coast. Great day, great job.

So, isn't it about time you introduced us to Sean and had him take a big bow???

Thanks, yes definitely a lot of grinning last night.

Will get a pic of Sean when we launch next month.

She's such a shippy ship without an ounce of brightwork. She needs no cover over her arse! I wouldn't want your wax bill, though! :eek: :facepalm: :D

Sean will help me with the waxing, but I see a lot of up keep in my future. :blush:

Just gorgeous. A little to much white for my taste.;) BUT my wife says I have no taste>:banghead:

The hull is actually light blue (Ice Blue) but it doesn't standout on a cloudy day.

Ted

Great work Ted, the boat looks brand new. Was the boat in doors the entire 8 1/2 months?

Would love to see it up close, if you ever come back to Ft Myers, let us know.

Henry

Great work Ted, the boat looks brand new. Was the boat in doors the entire 8 1/2 months?

Thanks!

Boat went in the building in July of 2014, 17 +/- months. :eek:

Would love to see it up close, if you ever come back to Ft Myers, let us know.

Henry

Plan as of now is to splash her in mid December, sea trials and get the right prop, head to Fort Myers around the 3rd of January. Need to find a slip down there as mine has been taken since I wasn't able to leave on October 1st.

Ted

Check with Snook Bright Marine, Ft Myers Beach, Moss Marine, Ft Myers Beach, downtown Ft Myers, City Marine.
If you need additional help, let me know, we will look for others.

Henry
239-734-0945

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom