Perkins 135 HP Engine Model: 6-354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joncon

Coolant leak in trans? I'm about to buy this boat 85 Monk 36 6000 hrs on engine assuming same on Trans... am I getting in trouble with this fluid report fellows??? How dose coolant get into trans?

Cat A Transmission Analyst;
Compartment: MA_GE_MAIN
Sample Date: 09-NOV-15 12:00:00 AM

Overall Alert Level: Action required
Interpretation Text:IRON, SILICON, COPPER, LEAD AND SODIUM APPEAR TO BE ELEVATED. THESE WEAR RATES MAYBE SOURCED TO A MINOR COOLANT LEAK,BRONZE BUSHINGS AND THRUST WASHERS. CHECK FOR ANY ABNORMAL WEAR OR ANY OPERATIONAL ISSUES. CHANGE OIL AND FILTERS AFTER REPAIRS ARE COMPLETED AND RESAMPLE AT 1/2 THE REGULAR OIL DRAIN.

Coolant leak in trans? I'm about to buy this boat 85 Monk 36 6000 hrs on engine assuming same on Trans... am I getting in trouble with this fluid report fellows??? How dose coolant get into trans?

Cat A Transmission Analyst;
Compartment: MA_GE_MAIN
Sample Date: 09-NOV-15 12:00:00 AM

Overall Alert Level: Action required
Interpretation Text:IRON, SILICON, COPPER, LEAD AND SODIUM APPEAR TO BE ELEVATED. THESE WEAR RATES MAYBE SOURCED TO A MINOR COOLANT LEAK,BRONZE BUSHINGS AND THRUST WASHERS. CHECK FOR ANY ABNORMAL WEAR OR ANY OPERATIONAL ISSUES. CHANGE OIL AND FILTERS AFTER REPAIRS ARE COMPLETED AND RESAMPLE AT 1/2 THE REGULAR OIL DRAIN.

The transmission is hydraulic with an oil cooler. The cooler is cooled by the seawater cooling flowpath. If water gets into the transmission via the cooler leaking, the fluid will become "milky" or opaque. If the fluid is red transmission fluid, it will appear somewhat pink on the dipstick. If the fluid still clear then you may have just caught the leak early, before significant damage has been done to the transmission. Some transmission coolers can be repaired while others are cheaper to just replace. You should have a mechanic take a look because it won't get better on its own.

Last edited:
An approach to consider:

Purchasing a vessel is a negotiation. You have found an issue during survey. There is a problem, how significant you do not YET know. As the buyer, assume the transmission needs a rebuild and lower your offer accordingly.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will change fluid and see, boats put away for winter we are working on a purchase consecution for the problem could also be a skued sample test from CAT, I will retest again after running this spring.

There may be a dual moter oil and transmission oil cooler. In mine it is not serviceable and is brazed together.

Using the same funnel to add trans fluid that had previously been used for antifreeze could cause a bad sample. I've seen people use the same container just wiping them with a rag.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Yes 10-4 that River Cruiser only saw 1 funnel in engine room... question can bushings & washers be accessed/inspected without pulling transmission?

,Almost no cost and little effort to pull tranny oil cooler and check it.

Back
Top Bottom