New HELMSMAN 38 PH on its way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aginglawyer

Vessel Name
La Paloma Blanca
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawler 38
My new Helmsman 38 Pilothouse was loaded on board its transport last week in China and is now en route to its new home on Bainbridge Island, Washington. After semi-customizing the boat with Scott Helker the builder and watching its construction via photos provided from the factory, we can almost smell the sea air as it comes in through the center windshield opening window. We are ready. And excited.
This is our sixth boat, having come to the Helmsman by way of a Catalina 30 sailboat, a 28 foot Bayliner that would take you anywhere but had problems bringing you home, a small Arima runabout and then two Ranger Tugs, a 25SC and a 29. With all of our time traveling and boating, we decided on a smaller house and a larger boat.
The decision to go with the Helmsman was easy once we became familiar with the boat. We were not aware of the Helmsman but then two of our friends own the same boat and we got such rave reviews from them and enjoyed their boats so much, we decided to more carefully look at the Helmsman. The experience of working with Scott on getting this boat has been excellent so far and we are hoping for a long relationship.
Our initial inclinations were to go with a Nordic Tug 38 or an American Tug 395, both excellent boats. We looked at these both very carefully and saw many used Nordics. The Nordics certainly hold their value as used boats and were quite expensive for 10-12 year old boats. The American Tug is an excellent boat but got a bit pricey for us. There has been talk of a larger Ranger Tug but so far, after a few years of talk, there is no boat on the horizon and I think we have outgrown Ranger Tugs and want a more substantial boat.
When we saw the completed Helmsman, however, there was really no comparison in terms of the finish and the value of the boats. The Helmsmans are definitely built by incredible craftsmen who take great pride in the work they do and it shows in the fit and finish and in the quality joinery with the well-matched woods inside the boat. Equally important to us has been the large amount of the inside space that is usable in the 38PH. With no side decks around the salon, the entire beam is available inside so the interior is vast compared to the other boats we looked at. Our friends have had about 20 people on board at the dock with no issues of space. While some might think that having no outside decks is a problem for docking, we don't see that issue. My wife takes a line off the boat from the swim step on arrival and secures the stern and then I had her the line for the bow from the helm door so we haven't used the side deck anyhow. The convenience of two helm doors is not to be underestimated here.
The components of the engine and drive train, the gauges and the controls also met our needs for quality reliable products and the custom electronics for navigation will be installed after arrival in the US. The value for dollar is part of what made our decision.
We plan to spend most of the summer on the boat so we have looked carefully at what we had previously. The Ranger Tug 29 fits a lot of stuff into a small space and a 10' beam but it was not enough space for our 3 week adventure last summer from the Seattle area to the Broughtons, a nearly 700 mile round trip. We hope to do a similar trip this summer but in six or eight weeks instead of three. Our boat will be used throughout the inside waters of the Northwest and may make a run up to Alaska if the spirit moves us.
This will be a new experience for us in another way: speed. In our Ranger Tug 29, we regularly cruised along at about 14-16 knots. In the Helmsman, we are more likely to be in the 7-9 knot range. In preparation for this change, we spent part of last summer just wandering around in our Ranger Tug at 8 knots and found it was actually pretty nice -- we had less worry about logs and deadheads, saw more of the surroundings and had a much more relaxed hold on the helm. We don't think this will be a difficult adjustment.
The boat will be docked about 2 minutes' walk from our front door. So, with a smaller house, the boat then becomes our guest quarters when we have company and an extension of our home at other times.
Now comes the hard part: we have to come up with a name for the boat. I have some I like and my wife has some she likes; it's just that the lists don't quite line up.
In the meantime, I will continue a log on commissioning this new boat and will be happy to answer any questions any may have. I suspect we are all going to be seeing a lot more Helmsmans around.
Any suggestions on breaking in the new boat will be most appreciated. The engine is a Cummins QSB6.7 380HP. I can provide more specs if anyone wishes.
Now then, back to the list of names.

Allan and Yvonne (with Admiral Fergus, the Westie)

Welcome aboard! Helmsman boats are indeed a very good value for a new build, and the interior finish work is exceptional. Great looking boat, too. You're going to love it!

Allan and Yvonne and Admiral Fergus,

I thought you would enjoy this picture of our dear departed westies taken on our Helmsman 38PH which was traded in for the current boat.

Attachments

• 380.jpg
    380.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 149
Welcome, there is another PH38 member build in process right now, please keep us posted on your process with photos please....Very excited for you...

Nice intro, welcome aboard and keep us up to date with lots of pictures.

So, a name has to be your personal choice and I never liked combo family stuff (Sue Marie etc.) but...
Admiral's Ally has promise.

While some might think that having no outside decks is a problem for docking, we don't see that issue. My wife takes a line off the boat from the swim step on arrival and secures the stern and then I had her the line for the bow from the helm door so we haven't used the side deck anyhow.

I haven't seen one of these, either live or in pics...

How does your crew get to the bow?

-Chris

I'd be curious as to how long the process takes? Was your boat already in the building process when you signed the deal or did you get involved before construction? And how long will the fitting out process take before you can drive away from the docks? Beautiful boat!

I haven't seen one of these, either live or in pics...

How does your crew get to the bow?

-Chris

Out the pilothouse doors? Nice looking boat BTW.

Attachments

• 2-600x400-38PH-warmed-strbd.jpg
    2-600x400-38PH-warmed-strbd.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 153
Congrats on the new boat!
My recently retired good friend bought a 2011 38 Helmsman last year.
He loves it! He just brought it up to Canada.
Everyone keeps talking about the great value of these boats...... I'm not asking what you paid for your new build, but am curious what an approximate cost is for a new one. My buddy got a great deal on his, but had to ship it from the East coast of Canada.

Allan and Yvonne and Admiral Fergus,

I thought you would enjoy this picture of our dear departed westies taken on our Helmsman 38PH which was traded in for the current boat.

The world's best, brightest and most affectionate dogs. Our Fergus is now 11 and our favorite child!

Allan

There are a couple in production now. Another Ranger Tug owner from near here has just put in an order for a 38 PH and is selling his Ranger Tug 31 with an upper helm. The upper helm on the Helmsman, of course, is a real asset with seating, full instrumentation and a full aft deck for entertaining. We are having full canvas done for it on ours. The Ranger Tugs upper helm is really just a steering station sort of plopped on top of the boat. We expect to spend lots of time on top.

The access to the bow is from the pilothouse doors which are both port and starboard. From bow to stern simply requires going inside and back out to the cockpit.

Nice intro, welcome aboard and keep us up to date with lots of pictures.

So, a name has to be your personal choice and I never liked combo family stuff (Sue Marie etc.) but...
Admiral's Ally has promise.

I'll run it by the Chairman of the Board.

Allan

Congrats on the new boat!
My recently retired good friend bought a 2011 38 Helmsman last year.
He loves it! He just brought it up to Canada.
Everyone keeps talking about the great value of these boats...... I'm not asking what you paid for your new build, but am curious what an approximate cost is for a new one. My buddy got a great deal on his, but had to ship it from the East coast of Canada.
Tunajoe, if you go to the second link in my post #7 click on the 38 (or others) you will find new pricing...

The Helmsman Trawlers® 38 Pilothouse is offered at $389,000 USD, including U.S. delivery and prep, and including all the options and features on the “Features and Specs” page.

Sincere congrats! Seems like a very nice vessel, beautifully styled. It's really good to hear that the workmanship, fit and finish is observed as quality. Mind if I ask what options you felt the boat needed?

Tunajoe, if you go to the second link in my post #7 click on the 38 (or others) you will find new pricing...

The Helmsman Trawlers® 38 Pilothouse is offered at $389,000 USD, including U.S. delivery and prep, and including all the options and features on the “Features and Specs” page.

Duh! I should of clicked on the link
Thanks!

Stunning... simply stunning! I envy you.

Name suggestion: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot :rofl:

Congratulations, see you out there on the water soon. We are always hanging around Blake Island.

2007 Mariner/Helmsman 38

My new Helmsman 38 Pilothouse was loaded on board its transport last week in China and is now en route to its new home on Bainbridge Island, Washington. After semi-customizing the boat with Scott Helker the builder and watching its construction via photos provided from the factory, we can almost smell the sea air as it comes in through the center windshield opening window. We are ready. And excited.
This is our sixth boat, having come to the Helmsman by way of a Catalina 30 sailboat, a 28 foot Bayliner that would take you anywhere but had problems bringing you home, a small Arima runabout and then two Ranger Tugs, a 25SC and a 29. With all of our time traveling and boating, we decided on a smaller house and a larger boat.
The decision to go with the Helmsman was easy once we became familiar with the boat. We were not aware of the Helmsman but then two of our friends own the same boat and we got such rave reviews from them and enjoyed their boats so much, we decided to more carefully look at the Helmsman. The experience of working with Scott on getting this boat has been excellent so far and we are hoping for a long relationship.
Our initial inclinations were to go with a Nordic Tug 38 or an American Tug 395, both excellent boats. We looked at these both very carefully and saw many used Nordics. The Nordics certainly hold their value as used boats and were quite expensive for 10-12 year old boats. The American Tug is an excellent boat but got a bit pricey for us. There has been talk of a larger Ranger Tug but so far, after a few years of talk, there is no boat on the horizon and I think we have outgrown Ranger Tugs and want a more substantial boat.
When we saw the completed Helmsman, however, there was really no comparison in terms of the finish and the value of the boats. The Helmsmans are definitely built by incredible craftsmen who take great pride in the work they do and it shows in the fit and finish and in the quality joinery with the well-matched woods inside the boat. Equally important to us has been the large amount of the inside space that is usable in the 38PH. With no side decks around the salon, the entire beam is available inside so the interior is vast compared to the other boats we looked at. Our friends have had about 20 people on board at the dock with no issues of space. While some might think that having no outside decks is a problem for docking, we don't see that issue. My wife takes a line off the boat from the swim step on arrival and secures the stern and then I had her the line for the bow from the helm door so we haven't used the side deck anyhow. The convenience of two helm doors is not to be underestimated here.
The components of the engine and drive train, the gauges and the controls also met our needs for quality reliable products and the custom electronics for navigation will be installed after arrival in the US. The value for dollar is part of what made our decision.
We plan to spend most of the summer on the boat so we have looked carefully at what we had previously. The Ranger Tug 29 fits a lot of stuff into a small space and a 10' beam but it was not enough space for our 3 week adventure last summer from the Seattle area to the Broughtons, a nearly 700 mile round trip. We hope to do a similar trip this summer but in six or eight weeks instead of three. Our boat will be used throughout the inside waters of the Northwest and may make a run up to Alaska if the spirit moves us.
This will be a new experience for us in another way: speed. In our Ranger Tug 29, we regularly cruised along at about 14-16 knots. In the Helmsman, we are more likely to be in the 7-9 knot range. In preparation for this change, we spent part of last summer just wandering around in our Ranger Tug at 8 knots and found it was actually pretty nice -- we had less worry about logs and deadheads, saw more of the surroundings and had a much more relaxed hold on the helm. We don't think this will be a difficult adjustment.
The boat will be docked about 2 minutes' walk from our front door. So, with a smaller house, the boat then becomes our guest quarters when we have company and an extension of our home at other times.
Now comes the hard part: we have to come up with a name for the boat. I have some I like and my wife has some she likes; it's just that the lists don't quite line up.
In the meantime, I will continue a log on commissioning this new boat and will be happy to answer any questions any may have. I suspect we are all going to be seeing a lot more Helmsmans around.
Any suggestions on breaking in the new boat will be most appreciated. The engine is a Cummins QSB6.7 380HP. I can provide more specs if anyone wishes.
Now then, back to the list of names.

We sold our last sailboat, a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35 and bought a 2007 Mariner 37/Helmsman 38 PH from Waterline Boats. Our boat only had 430 hours on the QSB 5.9, 380 HP.

We did some upgrades, specifically, installed a NextGen 3.5 KW diesel genset in aft end of the salon lazarette. Good place for it. I also replaced 3 original wet cell 8D house batteries with 4 AGM Golf Cart batteries, and installed 3 custom made swim step "staples".

I ordered the genset directly from the mfr. and saved a bundle. With regard to the "Staples", they have added a great safety factor when docking and boarding our dinghy. The manufacturer is absolutely top notch and does most of the SS work for Westport Yachts. His company is Tanner Manufacturing in Ferndale, WA.

I have posted pictures on "E-Boat Cards", and if you haven't signed up for that free application and its companion: "Active Captain", I highly recommend you do. Those 2 applications are free and available for both IOS and Android systems. They also allow direct contact between members. If you do join, send me a "friend request". Our boat is named "TINKA". I would be very pleased to share info with you on our boat, and perhaps see you out in the Islands we share. You are also welcome to contact me at: sharpseadog@gmail.com. Congratulation of your selection of the Helmsman 38 PH. It represents an incredible value, and the quality is truly impressive. Also, Scott treated us very well. :thumb:

Congratulations on your purchase. We look forward to following your journey and sharing thoughts on similar boats.

John T.
Helmsman 38PH - Under Constrution

What are the pros and cons of a Helmsman vs the similar design North Pacific? I have been on both and see little material difference.

What are the pros and cons of a Helmsman vs the similar design North Pacific? I have been on both and see little material difference.
There are some fundamental differences.

For one,and an important one, the beam on the Helmsman is 13'9" while the NP is 12'7". This is really important because all of that extra 14 inches is in the cabin. The Helmsman is 7,000 lbs heavier which some would see as a good thing for stability while others might see more fuel use. I go for stability.

Much of the fit and finish appears similar but you have to make a personal decision as to the layout of the boats. I much prefer the Helmsman (obviously) for a well thought-out interior with a full second head and shower.

It is a personal choice but there is more space on the Helmsman but you have to see them both. I also really like the swept back helm windows on the Helmsman compared to the raked forward on the NP. Again, personal preferences.

allan

Great information; thanks. I think the staples are a great idea. I had rails on my Ranger Tug swim step and hadn't thought about them for the Helmsman. I will have to get them; they make the boarding and disembarking from the dinghy much safer. We will look for Tinka on the water.

Allan

Staples and Gen Set

Great information; thanks. I think the staples are a great idea. I had rails on my Ranger Tug swim step and hadn't thought about them for the Helmsman. I will have to get them; they make the boarding and disembarking from the dinghy much safer. We will look for Tinka on the water.

Allan

Allan,
I will attempt to attach pix of my staples and gen set install. When I told Scott Helker about NextGen, he was very interested. My unit cost me less than $6K delivered, plus about $1k for installation.

Paul

PS: FYI, last time I spoke with Scott I asked him what he thought this boat would cost if it were built in the U.S. Given the incredible interior wood work, I don't think he exaggerated at all when he said about $1M. The amount of skilled labor in all that joinery would be cost prohibitive.

Attachments

• TINKA (4).jpg
    TINKA (4).jpg
    123 KB · Views: 188
  • TINKA (1).jpg
    TINKA (1).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 119
  • TINKA (2).jpg
    TINKA (2).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 146
  • TINKA (3).jpg
    TINKA (3).jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 117
Comparison

Allan, your assessment between NP and Helmsman is spot on. Beam size plays such an important part of interior space on any boat. Displacement really comes into play when the seas come up and your are looking for a smoother ride. I would only add that anyone looking for a boat in this size and price range spend some time crawling around the engine room and under decks, take photos and measurements on the different boats then sit down with a nice glass of wine or cup of coffee and compare. Add up the facts and make your own decision.

John T.
Nordhavn 4050, 4061, 3522 - Former Owners
Helmsman 38PH - Under construction

Back
Top Bottom