Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #32
Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
The warped bottom was my basis for the comparison, should have known better than to compare it to a lobsterboat, it's a topic always sure to raise controversy.
Downeast Boat Forums has hosted some hot debate over what a lobsterboat really is, and having a warped bottom may be the only criteria shared by most all modern lobsterboats.
The bottom line is, If I had a 44' Trojan Express sitting in my yard and had to do a makeover on it, I would not even consider building it up as a trawler. (or a lobsterboat!)
No controversy. Just a discussion of hull types. I had a good friend that had a 35' Duffy. It was close to a pure lobster boat hull. It was a good solid boat that handled chop very well. Not so good on following seas, but manageable. The problem I see with them as cruiser hulls is the bow section tapers in so sharply that there is little room for accommodations there. I was in discussion with Lee S. Wilbur about building a boat. I took the family up to SW Harbor to see and talk with them. There was just not enough room to get the space we needed.

While we were at Wilbur's he asked if he could borrow my 6' 5" son for a little while. They were fitting a boat for a tuna fighting chair. He figured it would fit my son, it would work for anyone. By the way, when he saw my two sons, he said that he understood the need for cabin space.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote