Just say "No"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Every year about this time it seems we get more traffic on the forum because the weather is crappy and the days are short and there's nothing else to do (in the Northern Hemisphere) until Boat Show season starts in a couple of months.

And the new members, who - facing a brutal Minnesota winter - are looking ahead to warmer weather and sunny shores and asking these questions:
  • Is a boat a good investment?
  • If it has 2 engines will it go twice as fast?
  • Is it a good idea to have multiple boats at the same time that require paying moorage? How about if I finance them?
  • Is this boat on eBay a "good deal"?
  • Does the boat really look like the pictures on Craigslist?
  • The ad says "should start right up - just needs new battery" - does that mean I can drive it home?
  • The seller says he is "honest" - is that true?
  • The seller says he's still looking for the title and will send it when he finds it. Will he?
  • Is it normal to pay in full for a boat before being allowed to view it?
But experienced" boaters also need answers to their burning questions:
  • Does this pirate flag make me look cool?
  • My wife doesn't like (insert here) about our boat / boating - can I safely ignore her?
  • Does this yacht captain's hat make me look cool?
  • Should I name my boat after an alcoholic drink? Even if I make a pun?
  • Will it really "buff right out"?
  • I found this additive - should I put it in my fuel / oil / potable water?
  • My fuel is more than 1 year old - do have need to have it disposed of?
  • Should I use this thing I found on the Internet/Home Depot in place of the (now failed) thing on my boat? Even if I save $100? That would buy a lot of beer.
  • Insurance costs a lot of money and my wife wants satellite TV. Can I get by without insurance?
So, to help everyone out it seems like it might be a good idea to modify the forum software to detect a question mark in a post and auto-generate a response just saying "No".

Does this seem like a good idea? :angel:

That whole post wins the quest for a Darwin Award.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just for ASKING if it's a good idea or not..:socool:

refugio said:
Does this seem like a good idea? :angel:
No but, I think you have just set the stage for an entertaining winter thread and a much longer one than "what does 4 toots mean."

All of this and not one mention of anchors.....epic fail, lol. M

Ended with a question mark.....so no :)

It is, after all, a public forum, open to all, so all kinds of questions and all kinds of answers are likely to be seen on these pages.
Some forums have a "FAQ" area, though this does not prevent stupid questions, stupid posters could be referred there.

Damn, I love this forum!!:flowers::flowers:

Not a day goes by that I don't find a bit of information, humor, political action, that enlightens.

Thank you all each and everyone.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Al-Ketchikan

Damn, I love this forum!!:flowers::flowers:

Not a day goes by that I don't find a bit of information, humor, political action, that enlightens.

Thank you all each and everyone.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Al-Ketchikan
What's that old saying again?
Small things amuse who?

If I am alone in a quiet anchorage
and I run my generator
does it make a sound?

:confused:

Only if the tree crashes on the ground.

No.
Wait!
"NO" will possibly be the name of my next boat!
What a great idea!!! ��
I'm serious. I love the idea and I have never seen a boat named "NO."
It would even be understood in Mexico.
Time to get the paint out...

Refugio

Don't forget "Does my boat look top heavy?"

There is simply NO way to kNOw if your kNOwledge on a subject is NOw what is in correct the mainstream of NOthings! Sooo, and although, I kNOw that the word NO has a place in all kNOwing peoples vocabulary... I say "NO Way Jose". In that; the word YES lends much more accommodation for keeping Admirals happy, content and NOt bothered. NO one should say NO to that topic! :dance:

Therefore I vote NO on the word NO and YES on the word YES... That's all I kNOw!! :D :facepalm: :lol:

Refugio you sure are hard on us.

window slant

I think another topic -

"If my pilothouse windows slant like a real trawler, will I get more respect?"

Anchors is the only topic that get's you all going? No "Cetol vs Varnish" wars? How about "guns on boats"? And, you mean to say the Captain hat does NOT make me look cool? NO, say it ain't so.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom