Rules is Rules , but ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is something to consider. If the vessel is registered, it is compelled to be compliant with the requirements of the authority which registered it. (i.e . if it is registered in NH, which does not require a Co detector, then it does not require a CO detector when operated in CT, which does require them). HOWEVER, if there is no registration, then it is subject to the requirements of the state where it is operated.

If you're dinghy does not require registration for under 10HP in your home state, but the visiting state requires a registration, it is going to be difficult to make that argument to a LEO in the state where you're not compliant.

It matters not what is required in 48 other states. what matters is the original state and the state of operation.

Finally, for $30.00 is this really a problem. Just slap a sticker on it!!

I would NEVER put T/T (tender to) on my dinghy. All that does is advertise that your boat is unoccupied. At a public dinghy dock, that's the last thing I'd want to do.

100% agree...it's really just an invitation to a thief.

South Australia has the same rules as many of the US states. ANY vessel with a motor requires registration, except canoes/kayaks with electric motors 0.2hp or less.

My inflatable dinghy cost AUS$43 to register plus a couple bucks for permanent markers to draw the registration numbers.

I agree with others as to not really seeing why one would choose to violate a law when the cost is so little. As to likelihood of being ticketed, which shouldn't be relevant, I'd say it's much greater than you think. If you're moving it's immediately detectable from a distance and doesn't require approaching or inspecting. I see a boat under propulsion, I see no numbers, I go ticket. No work at all, unless I see more things to add to the ticket.

Travel 1/2 day at 5 kts instead of 6.5 kts then use the savings in fuel to pay for the registration. ;)

I've been watching this thread and find it interesting for many years I refused to license my dinghy. In WA you don't have to register it if you only use it to go to shore and back.

Well we used it to run all over the place and always got away with it because nobody checked.

Now, we have two Whalers, one in AZ and one in WA. Both are registered and have all the required equipment. The total cost is somewhere around $65-$75. That's a small price to pay for not having to worry about those chats with the water cops.

Must be I'm becoming less of a rebel in my old age!

Must be I'm becoming less of a rebel in my old age!

Ain't that the truth. I have glove compartment full of warnings and citations, but I haven't chatted with a trooper in 10 years.....

One of the issues with not registering is that while the state you're from may be ok with it, states you visit may not then exempt you from their requirements. Much like is described above in Australia.

I would NEVER put T/T (tender to) on my dinghy. All that does is advertise that your boat is unoccupied. At a public dinghy dock, that's the last thing I'd want to do.

Now Algae is the dink for Seaweed, and the names go together if you think about it. I've seen others with similar, such as Wandering Star's dink was called Asteroid.

I'd never suggest T/T as a name for the auxiliary boat. I've got a list in my Log Book of interesting pairings that I've collected along the waterways...

Janice, I saw a pediatrician that towed a tender behind his sail boat. The boat was named Baby Doc, and the tender was named Little Tender Behind.:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom