Victoria, BC to the Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we might be in Morro Bay for at least 10 days. I see a small window to get around Pt. Conception on Saturday but I'm not really interested in tackling the "Cape Horn of the West Coast" via small windows of opportunity. Will continue to monitor the forecasts...

I think we might be in Morro Bay for at least 10 days. I see a small window to get around Pt. Conception on Saturday but I'm not really interested in tackling the "Cape Horn of the West Coast" via small windows of opportunity. Will continue to monitor the forecasts...

Are you at the MBYC? If so, they have a Friday happy hour that has a sunset view off the upper deck that is amazing. Great people, too.

I'll throw a shameless plug in for a cafe opened by some old friends called "The House of Juju." Priced about MB standard, the food is pretty good. It's up Embarcadero on the rock side of Harbor St. Not quite to "The Coffee Pot," which is one of the better breakfast joints.

Are you at the MBYC? If so, they have a Friday happy hour that has a sunset view off the upper deck that is amazing. Great people, too.

I'll throw a shameless plug in for a cafe opened by some old friends called "The House of Juju." Priced about MB standard, the food is pretty good. It's up Embarcadero on the rock side of Harbor St. Not quite to "The Coffee Pot," which is one of the better breakfast joints.

Yup we're at the Yacht Club. Just went to the happy hour and met some great people. Even met some fellow Canadians that are anchored out in the bay that we wouldn't have met otherwise.

I will keep "The House of Juju" in mind!

Will look for the House of Juju on our next trip but willingly second The Coffee Pot, that place is awesome.

We might pass you guys bringing the Emily B uphill back to SF from Marina Del Rey. Looks like a sweetspot Friday-Sunday. Just want to check Santa Annas which can be a bitch this time of the year.

We might pass you guys bringing the Emily B uphill back to SF from Marina Del Rey. Looks like a sweetspot Friday-Sunday. Just want to check Santa Annas which can be a bitch this time of the year.

Awesome! I'm seeing Thursday as the first good day, so we might leave then. Would be awesome to see you out there. Do you broadcast on AIS?

Awesome! I'm seeing Thursday as the first good day, so we might leave then. Would be awesome to see you out there. Do you broadcast on AIS?

Hey Mark ABSOLUTELY!
Yes we broadcast AIS and are also registered on Marine Traffic which is an awesome APP easy to find locations of others. I'll text you when we pull out of Marina Del Rey.

If my calculations are correct and we both pull out Thursday that would put us passing somewhere around or right after Conception. If we're out Friday might be able to have a coffee in Santa Barbara where we'll probably pull in to top off the tanks before rounding Conception and the uphill climb.

Ironically that will leave our slip at California Yacht Club vacant so might be able to Host you there as well :)

See you around the corner! VicTrawler upper left. Emily B lower right.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1446792575.303627.jpg
See you around the corner!
VicTrawler upper Left
Emily B Lower Right

We've safely rounded Pt. Conception. Seas are nearly flat. Feels like the Strait of Georgia! Approx 4 hours to Santa Barbara.

We've safely rounded Pt. Conception. Seas are nearly flat. Feels like the Strait of Georgia! Approx 4 hours to Santa Barbara.[/

Right? You're gonna live it get out the flip flops and shorts! Great chatting with you guys. Grab a Breakfast Burrito at the harbor side cafe. We got the crap kicked out of us going uphill had to slow to 6-7 knots. Made Morro Bay at sunrise. Back up cranking now. Enjoy!

Overdue for an update!

We spent a short two nights in Santa Barbara (it was nice to be able to do that and not be stuck somewhere for an extended period due to weather) and made the quick 3.5 hour cruise to Ventura yesterday morning. Moorage is/was $1.50/foot at both spots, definitely the priciest of the trip so far... also no free WiFi!

We'll leave Ventura on Wednesday or Thursday and head for Santa Monica, then off to Avalon, Oceanside, and San Diego. At the moment the plan is to depart San Diego on the 27th, after American Thanksgiving.

Hard to believe it, but the objective laid out in this thread (Victoria to San Diego) will be accomplished in less than two weeks!! Yes, it can be done in a 30 year-old, 36 foot Taiwanese trawler with a single screw and a crew of two that have never previously owned a boat. Just got to take your time...

Looking good and moving south! Hope you are having fun and making lots of memories...

Do you happen to be sitting at the police dock in San Diego currently?. If you are we are out at the end of the dock and headed to LA Paz on Tuesday
Hollywood

Should be a bit better by Tuesday. Kind of unpleasant here right now.

.MARINE...
800 PM...WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS 25-35 KT WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT ARE
LIKELY TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY EVENING AS A LOW PRESSURE TROUGH
PASSES THROUGH THE REGION. COMBINED SEAS WILL REACH 8-14 FT...WITH
THE STEEP WAVES AND STRONG WINDS CREATING ROUGH AND DANGEROUS SEAS.
A GALE WARNING FOR THE INNER AND OUTER WATERS IS IN EFFECT THROUGH
10 PM MONDAY...SEE LAXMWWSGX FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS. A FEW SHOWERS
ARE POSSIBLE TONIGHT. WIND AND SEA CONDITIONS WILL GRADUALLY IMPROVE
LATE MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

So here we are in San Diego. We accelerated the plan a little in order to get in before last night's blow. We spent one night in Marina Del Rey at Burton Chace Park ($1.15/foot) and then headed out to Avalon. Got to Avalon around 1300 and spent the afternoon exploring the place. We finished off the evening with the "Summer Night Tour" which was a great tour of Avalon and the surrounding area at night while riding on the back of a modified Humvee (open air). The next morning we left at first light to make the 11 hour run to San Diego, where we are now, hanging out at the police dock.

We'll probably stay in San Diego for a couple weeks to get our final preps sorted out for the border crossing into Mexico.

Well, Victoria to San Diego is done. What should I call the next thread?? :)

Do you happen to be sitting at the police dock in San Diego currently?. If you are we are out at the end of the dock and headed to LA Paz on Tuesday
Hollywood

Yes that's us, right by the ramp. Which boat are you on? I don't think I see "Otter" anywhere.

Congratulations!!!

Yes, you have shown the naysayers that you can make a very long journey along a coast line in any boat you want to make the trip in.

Great Job! You didn't put your lives at risk, heck you didn't even go through any really bad seas. You took your time, and from your reports along the way you had a great time of it!

Dark hulled n46.. I will stop by later.
Hollywood

Congratulations!!!

Yes, you have shown the naysayers that you can make a very long journey along a coast line in any boat you want to make the trip in.

Great Job! You didn't put your lives at risk, heck you didn't even go through any really bad seas. You took your time, and from your reports along the way you had a great time of it!

I agree! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. You and Eden have given us the confidence that we too can make that trip to Mexico in a safe and enjoyable way.

To all the naysayers.....:p:p

Congratulations!!!

:iagree:

As one who sailed from SF Bay to Seattle with The Promise with no prior Ocean experience.

I have followed the thread with interest and have enjoyed it. The next leg could be named something like "On to "XXX", or "and now something completely different". I am interested in this because we might decide to do it ourselves someday!

Fair winds

I have also followed this thread, with the intention of making the very same trip, although it will probably be in a few years after retirement.

This has been a great inspiration!

We have the section from Seattle north to Seward Alaska covered, having done it twice, once in a 34' Bayliner, and again in our current boat.

Who are the naysayers you keep referring to?

Just a guess, maybe those who wish to do the trip in about 10 days and possibly non- stop if weather permits. In my sailing days to get to San Diego from Portland or Port Townsend this was often preferable as compared to trying to time bar crossings for sight seeing. Also, this 10 day or so non stop served as very good training for Transpac Race which I unfortunately missed out on.

We took 50 days. Actually elapsed time was 76 days but we flew home for 25 in the middle.

Who are the naysayers you keep referring to?

Just a guess, maybe those who wish to do the trip in about 10 days and possibly non- stop if weather permits. In my sailing days to get to San Diego from Portland or Port Townsend this was often preferable as compared to trying to time bar crossings for sight seeing. Also, this 10 day or so non stop served as very good training for Transpac Race which I unfortunately missed out on.

I was wondering who they were too. I've read many posts on the subject on TF and don't remember many, if any, posts that said this kind of coastal trip couldn't be done safely in a wide variety of boats.

I did Ketchikan to San Francisco in 14 days in early April but I'm certainly not one of the nay-sayers.

I wonder who they are?

Richard

I don't think he was referring to anyone specifically on TF, but there are plenty out there in the real world who worry about doing just that...including me sometimes. I know it's important to pick your weather and not have a strict schedule, but it's good to see it done with relative comfort, ease and fun.

If you'd like this thread's title to be changed, let me know and I can change it.

Great job on your journey so far and thanks for taking us along.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom