Conall's boat heading south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conall63

Vessel Name
Homegrown
Vessel Make
Roberts TY 43
Greetings all,

We're five days into our trip from New Richmond, Ohio to the Pensacola area. The end target is our new home in Cape Coral.

New Richmond is at mile 450 on the Ohio, and as I type this, we're currently at mile 839 closing in on the John T Myers lock. If all goes as planned, we should turn in to the Cumberland river tomorrow.

A friend of mine from New Richmond is along for the trip and we're picking up another crew member at Green Turtle Bay. Our route is from the Ohio river to the Cumberland, into lake Barkley, then on to the Tennessee and the Tenn Tomm to Mobile bay.

The boat is running good, and while we've been playing around with it in New Richmond getting things tuned up, this is the real first test of her. The only issue we've had so far is a slight leak in a cooling line coming out of the twin disc transmission. The leak is where a bushing was installed to get from the transmission to the transmission filter.

The weather has been perfect with high pressure giving us sunny 75 degree days and 40 degree nights.

I'll get some pictures up shortly with some more detail about performance. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I cant tell you how good it feels to unplug and do this trip.

Cheers,

Conall

Last edited:
Good luck on the trip, and keep us posted. Nothing better than vicariously riding with someone!

After all the sweat and tears you poured into your boat Conall you deserve a great cruise. Goodonya

Good luck on the trip, and keep us posted. Nothing better than vicariously riding with someone!

Ditto! Any updates?

Woo wee, finally a nice trip on a boat with so many busted knuckles, cuts and bruises to get there. Save passage Connel and please keep us updated.

Yeah I'm interested in this trip as well.

Love this boat. This guy has crazy, mad boat building skills. Now he gets to test his captain skills!

I saw him from our dock early am a few days ago . He was anchored in our marina cove . It was still dark out but what I could see was sweet .

With my apologies to the forum on my lack of posting my trip, I've completed a piece of our journey, and I am now back in Cape Coral Fl, having taken 12 days to move my boat from New Richmond Ohio, to Demopolis Alabama.

Having boated on the Ohio River all my boating career, I thought the Ohio river part of the trip would be so/so. But seeing as much of the river as I did see, in perfect fall colors and weather, I can for sure say I'm going to miss it sorely. The push boats with their loads of commerce, and the push boat captains with their utmost professionalism, is a way of life I feel happy to have been able to catch a glimpse of as we passed by during the fall days.

We were on the Ohio for 450 miles, then made the turn up the Cumberland river headed to lake Barkley. Because we were on a tight schedule to get to a certain point on our two week allowance, we found ourselves running the boat later than we'd like. Once we hit the Cumberland river on a mid afternoon, having been stuck at Smithland lock and dam on the Ohio river for two hours, the days of 8 knots @ 1500 rpm were quickly a thing of the past. Looking at the 30 miles and one lock we had to go to get to Green Turtle Bay before dark, we pushed the boat up to 2200 rpm with fuel savings being our last concern. Later, I'd heard that current in the cumberland gets stronger later in the day as more water is let go to power electric turbines due to increased demand. At 2200 rpm we were making about 6.5 knots, and I watched the engine room temperature climb to 112 degrees, which is the highest I've seen in my boats short life. About four hours later, we were at the 56' lift of the Barkley lock, and as darkness quickly covered us, the lock emptied us into lake Barkley with our destination of Green Turtle bay a short mile or so up the navigation line. Having watched the boat perform rock solid for a four hour run on the hard side of what I'd prefer to operate at, I was gaining confidence in my home built machine.

Having only 100 something hours on my boat, almost everything I've done on her is a first. Heavy boat 48' long, single screw, bow thruster still on the list of things to hook up, dark un known harbor, rookie captain, and more rookie first mate... you get the picture. Before I left New Richmond, I had installed a new Garmin 6212 plotter and 18" HD radar, and I for sure can tell you those two pieces of equipment earned their keep on my trip. The Garmin plotter with radar overlay made getting in to the harbor very straight forward at our idle speed. While floating in the middle of the harbor wondering which direction to go, some folks waving flashlights at us made our day as they found our reserved slip and helped us get tied up after a 14 hour day.

The next morning, Green Turtle bay looked a lot different in the bright sunshine, and while we waited for our next crew member to join us we did some laundry and talked with others about their journey's. The level of how these cruisers are so laid back really says a lot as to the health benefits of extended disconnect from the hustle and bustle we force upon ourselves.

Leaving Green Turtle, we headed into the canal that connects lake Barkley with Kentucky lake and began our introduction to the Tennessee river. What a difference the open expanse of the Kentucky lake compared to the days we'd spent on the Ohio River. Darkness seems to come quickly this time of year, and we again found ourselves trying to get into a harbor with not enough daylight. I had my keel off set on my depth sounder set incorrectly, and while trying to get to slip in Paris landing, we were getting shallow water alarms, and not so accurate depth readings. I started getting spooked about depth so we decided to anchor in the harbor at Paris landing vs going back out into the lake.

Moving further down Kentucky lake, the wide expanse soon started to fade, and the Tennessee river began to look more like a river. Along with the look of a river came a slight current against us and fuel economy suffered a fuzz. Yet further down the river, Pickwick came and went, the geology changed slightly, and after an evening spent eating at a great harbor bar called the filling station, we entered the Tenn Tomm water way.

The Tenn Tomm water way is a man made canal, and it's pretty obvious at the beginning that the engineers who laid it out, were partial to using a string line, as a lot of the northern section is a straight as string cut that looks more like a ditch. The further south one heads, the engineered look soon fades, and the Tenn Tomm has a look of it's own. The ox bows, meanders, and the flooded backwaters are teaming with bird life, and like all the rivers we'd been on, it was stunning in it's own right.

We stayed on the Tenn Tomm to where it ends in Demopolis Alabama, and this is where I am leaving the boat for a few weeks. We went in to the Demopolis Yacht basin commercial fuel dock, and pumped out our holding tank while paying for a month long slip in the most excellent harbor. All of the harbor looks brand new. While at the fuel dock, a push boat came in to start fueling, which gave us a close up look at these awesome boats. It takes about three hours for one of these work horses to fuel up which accounts for about 15,000 gallons of fuel leaving the Demopolis fuel depot. The dude working the fuel dock told us they pump about 480,000 gallons of fuel per month.

I rented a car the next day, and made the drive back to Cape Coral where I now live. I'm hoping I'll be back to the boat in a few weeks to move it further south to the Perdido area.

More to follow.

Cheers,

Conall

Absolutely awesome Conall. :thumb: Glad you made it safe.

Keep us up to date.

Rick

Great write up, Conall. It must be gratifying seeing your hard work perform so well. Maybe you can spend some more time on our Tennessee River next time. Thanks for posting.

Tennessee River is fabulous Don. My biggest regret was I rushed through this area. Spending a summer exploring this area would be more in line with what's needed to see what's out there. I'd for sure recommend the Tennessee as a must cruise River.

Conall

Thanks Rick.

For the most part, I ran the boat at 1500 rpm which gave us about 7 knots without dealing with current. At this rpm and without running the generator, my engine performance chart seems to be right on @ 2.2 gph so I saw over 3.5 mpg. My generator is a bit to large for my boat at 10 KW, and I really don't know the exact fuel burn. If anyone has any insight as to what this machine would be burning I'd appreciate it. I've been ball parking 1 GPH for fuel burn for the generator. The generator engine is an Isuzu three cylinder and I think it's about 30 hp. It seems to run about 1500 rpm. We ran the generator on average about 5 hours per 24 hour day.

I have four fuel tanks on board, with three for storage, and one for the machinery. Both the engine and generator are fed from one tank, and return to same tank. I transfer fuel via a 4 gpm AC pump through a " transfer from" manifold, in to a large Racor separator/filter and flow meter, then to another manifold which is " transfer to" directing fuel into any of my four tanks.

So my morning ritual is to measure tank # 2 with a wooden measuring stick, record that measurement, set flow meter to zero, and transfer fuel from whatever tank I want into tank # 2 ( which is my operating tank ) until the fuel measurement returns to my initial base line number. Once I'm back to the base line number, whatever the flow meter says is what we burned the day before. I have a log book that I keep track of how much fuel gets transferred, what's left in each tank, and a total of whats left on the boat. It's a pretty low tech system that so far has been accurate. The fuel gets filtered through the transfer, then gets filtered as it leaves the operating tank ( #2 ), then fuel reaches the filters on the engine or generator. If I think I have a fuel problem in any tank, I can transfer from that particular tank back to that particular tank via the manifolds for as long as I want to. If the AC pump goes down, or I cant get AC power to the pump, I have by pass valve set up where I can use a manual rotary pump to move fuel. The manual rotary pump is more a torture type device, so an inverter system is high on the to do list.

I'm starting to think about resuming the boat move sooner than I'd planned as some work I have to complete in Ohio is being delayed. I might get back to the boat next week and see if I can get it to Perdido. Mobile bay will be her first view of a large piece of water, so I've been starting to look at it on my chart and what kind of weather I should be mindful of.

In round numbers, I've moved her about 950 miles down the river system, and I think I have another 900 to go before I stop in Cape Coral. Once I'm in the Gulf, I hope to be able to slow down a bit breaking the move into smaller pieces where my family can get on board and start seeing all there is to see.

Conall

Because of a delay on some work I have going on in Ohio, I decided to head back to the boat where I had left it in Demopolis, and continue my trip south.

Waking early Monday morning and making the nine hour drive from Cape Coral to Barbers Marina in Perdido, I met my bud Brian Russel, rented a car and drove 3 1/2 hours more to Demopolis Alabama.

The next morning in Demopolis, after having dealt with returning the rental car, getting some groceries, and fuel, we were finally able to begin the trip south, at what I consider a late start of about 1030. Decent, published anchorages, on the Black Warrior Tombigbee river are few and far between, and with our late start we would be left to make due with whatever anchorage we could find. The BWTB is a narrow river used by push boats, so wherever one decides to anchor, it's best to use two anchors which is how we handled things.

From Demopolis to Mobile bay is 215 miles. Because of the lack of daylight hours this time of year, we were looking at a two and a half day run. Our first day out, we did the half day day part of the run, which left us two long days to get to mobile bay. In this part of the world, on the eastern edge of the central time zone, it gets dark early and fast. Our strategy was to be ready to anchor about 1600 given the fact that by 1700 it's darn near dark.

On night two of our run, we got a little sloppy on planning our aft anchor position, and at 0300, the wind picked up and started pushing us close to the bank, setting off our anchor drag alarm. It was a pretty easy decision to get the spare 45 lb anchor ( anchor # 3 on the boat ), fire up the dinghy, and set a third anchor pulling us back out 45' from the bank where we were again safe.

The third day out having exited the last lock we'd see on the river system, the topography and fauna on the Black Warrior changed noticeably. Cypress trees, and more southern looking palmetto became dominant as our surroundings began to look more like a bayou. Cruising through this new and different landscape, I began to notice the sign of a river controlled by tides, along with brown pelicans diving, and many Osprey nests in the branches of dead Cypress trees.

The third night out found us anchored in Little Bayou Canot, 13 miles above the industrial canal of Mobile Bay. I have to say this was one of the best anchorages we've had since leaving Pickwick.

For the last three days, we'd been watching the forecast for Mobile bay get worse the closer we got. As we were eating dinner on our third night, talking about crossing Mobile bay, we were looking at a forecast of choppy becoming rough, with a small craft advisory possible the next afternoon. After finishing dinner, we spent half an hour making sure any item that could fly across the cabin was stowed or tied down.

The next morning had us pulling up the anchor at 0620 with clear sky, high pressure, and winds foretasted to be out of the north @ 20. This particular morning was drop dead gorgeous, and a short time later we were cruising through the industrial canal in Mobile. The trip down the river system from New Richmond Ohio was some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, but the trip through this working port of Mobile was the best part of our trip. Seeing the navy attack ships, huge freighters, monster cranes and even bigger tug boats was something I'd tell any boater to put on their bucket list. As happy as I was to finally see this key part or our economic engine, I was more happy to not have to deal with an inbound or outbound freighter.

Taking pictures, watching the navigation line go through the industrial canal, and another turn in our book, I looked out the front window and realized all I could see was water as we headed out in to the bay. The mobile ship channel is pretty wide and definitely well marked. Staying on the starboard sail line, and looking at at the bay with my binoculars, I was struck with how large it looked and how lumpy it looked. Once we cleared the first buoy's, that lumpy look I saw in my binoculars was pretty much confirmed in my seat.

The wind was out of the north @ 15-20, the tide was coming in and the bay was white capped. The boat was rolling around quite a bit and once in a while a cabinet door or drawer ( need to put door and drawer locks on the list ) would open and slam shut. I was working the wheel pretty hard, but for the most part had no real issue holding our course. Our plan, if we did not like the way things felt, was to head into Dog River and deal with crossing the bay later on. The Dog River markers showed up on the plotter, and given that we both felt fine, and the boat was handling the chop well, we kept on going. Plotting a line to exit the ship channel through one of the dredged cuts, along with a south easterly line to where the ICW leaves the bay, we pushed on down the channel, then made a turn to east. Once we turned east, the boat was much easier to control, but rode a bit rougher. When we made another turn to the south east, the boat was still pretty easy to control, and rode much better. After an hour or so heading south east, and getting a bit of shelter from land to the north, things really settled down, and while still bumpy, the boat felt pretty good.

By early afternoon we were tooling east on the ICW, and all was good and happy. Again, because I'm on a tight schedule to get back home, we had to stay on task and get to our next monthly harbor at Barbers Marina. Barbers Marina is in Wolf Bay and was recommended by fellow trawler forum members. This facility is for sure the nicest place I've been in and the people who run it are about as good as it gets. I can't say for sure how Mr. Barber made his way in this world, but I can say that Mr. Barber knows how to do things right.

Having got the boat to Barber's early in the afternoon, and getting her harbored up, the lady who runs the ships store recommended Wolf Bay Lodge for a good dinner. If the seafood in this part of the world is like it was at Wolf Bay lodge, I can for sure say I'm going to love cruising through the northern gulf coast.

The next morning found me back in my truck for the drive back to Cape Coral. The boat is secure at Barbers, and now that it's on the ICW, my wife and kids will be riding along for most of the remaining trip. We plan on flying back to Ohio to do a week of Christmas with family, followed by five days of moving the boat east. Tentatively, we plan on ending the next leg east of Panama City in late December. Another move east will find find us in Carabelle where we'll be looking at crossing the bend. I don't think the wife and kids will be in to crossing the bend, but will pick up riding along once we get on the western Florida ICW.

My trip odometer says I've come 1270 miles. The boat has performed almost perfect, but there are a few items that need to be tweeked. My confidence level is climbing, and I can now say I have an honest shake down under my belt which makes me feel real good about how we can trust the boat.

Conall

If the seafood in this part of the world is like it was at Wolf Bay lodge, I can for sure say I'm going to love cruising through the northern gulf coast.

The "Forgotten Coast" cannot claim too many good things, but one of the things we can claim, I think, is some of the best seafood available.

Many thanks for the good narrative of the trip. I am enjoying it along with you, but without the stress. :)

Excellent Conall! Seems like shes running as designed and making good progress. I bet your family is itching to get aboard.

The "Forgotten Coast" cannot claim too many good things, but one of the things we can claim, I think, is some of the best seafood available.

Many thanks for the good narrative of the trip. I am enjoying it along with you, but without the stress. :)

John, are you forgetting some of the best knock dead gorgeous beaches?

Great trip writeup. Did you drop your camera in the water??

We are all salivating waiting on pictures. It's what we do.

(Preferably some nice shots of that boat you built pushing some water around)

John, are you forgetting some of the best knock dead gorgeous beaches?

True. I was not thinking. I still remember the first time I saw Miami Beach, which I had always assumed would be far, far greater than anything that I was accustomed to. Well . . . I grew up on Pensacola Beach, Ft. Walton, and Destin . . . so it was quite a disappointment. :)

Here's some pictures in no particular order. Most of these are from the end of the Black Warrior river. I know that the lock in this picture is Coffeeville which is the last lock on the Black Warrior Tom Bigbee. Once through Coffeeville lock, you're close to sea level, and now tidal. I think we went through 18 locks total on the trip.

Conall

Attachments

• IMG_20151110_121455840 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151110_121455840 (800x450).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20151111_141650150_HDR (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151111_141650150_HDR (800x450).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20151112_163115638_HDR (800x435).jpg
    IMG_20151112_163115638_HDR (800x435).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20151112_163120700_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151112_163120700_HDR.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20151112_164510491 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151112_164510491 (800x450).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20151113_055323224 (800x449).jpg
    IMG_20151113_055323224 (800x449).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20151113_075023554 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151113_075023554 (800x450).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20151113_080054904 (450x800).jpg
    IMG_20151113_080054904 (450x800).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20151113_080726189_HDR (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151113_080726189_HDR (800x450).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20151113_191820361 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151113_191820361 (800x450).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 92
Sunrise from Barber Marina.

Anyone who gets the chance to stay at Barbers, do so. The guy has an unbelievable collection of outboard motors in his ships store. The place sits on 5000 acres and the 3 mile long driveway has life size statues of dinosaurs stalking in the woods. Also, I think he has a replica of Stonehenge on the property... well it looked like Stonehenge to me. Coming back from dinner on our only night there, they had lit up the helipad, and had an SUV standing by, as someone was flying on to the property.

Conall

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_055600092 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151114_055600092 (800x450).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 104
Thank you for sharing, so we all may enjoy. Appreciated. Your boat is a beauty and proving it. Keep us posted..

Great photos!

Love the pic of your boat at anchor-- it's such a nice looking vessel. You have to grin every time you see it I bet.

I do smile every time I see her anchored. I've not given her a bath in two months, so that will help. I'm also closer to having all the ballast installed, and while she's still bow up, she's getting closer to level

I do smile every time I see her anchored. I've not given her a bath in two months, so that will help. I'm also closer to having all the ballast installed, and while she's still bow up, she's getting closer to level

Does she roll more than you would like without the ballast (don't remember the hull shape)? Do you plan to install paravanes in the future? Would be fairly easy with your skills and the steel construction I would think.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about roll and ballast, but she does roll. She's a heavy boat, so the roll seems slow in my opinion.

When I framed her, I had the framing designed for a paravane rig, and I welded in all the reinforced framing along with the brackets for the poles. It's on the list, but pretty far down.

Conall

Thanks for the guided tour Conall. Amazing. :thumb:

I just keep telling myself it'll be my turn some day! :D

This is a great post! Keep it coming as you continue your travels. Glad you like Barbers. It is a great Marina. It's where we plan to stay this winter once we leave Mississippi.

After a week of family Christmas duty in Ohio, all six kids the wife and myself made it down to Barber marina to get back on the boat and get her moved further east.

I'll for the last time say how much I liked Barber Marina. His collection of outboard motors along with all the high quality eclectic things he has on site such as these hand carved chairs and tables, make this a top notch facility.

The weather for us during this last week of December left little to be desired. The rain was heavy and for the most part non stop which was compounding the epic flooding seen in the mid west. It was great having all the kids together but with the weather not cooperating, this trip was not what the kids had hoped for.

Because of the weather, we elected to stay in some harbors vs anchoring out. The ages of are children are 7-21, and while I look for certain things when choosing a harbor, the kids only look for one thing, and that one thing is good Wi-Fi. I''m not shucking any parental duties, but good wi-fi does make life easier.

The larger bays I crossed, Pensacola Bay, East Bay, Choctawatchee, and West bay, all were done in unsettled weather with stout winds and small craft warnings. It was a little intimidating, but the boat did good and the motion was tolerable. My wife and smaller kids had left earlier to get home due to some work issue she had, so it was me and the college age kids who did most of this move.

The boat ran good but a couple of issues did pop up. Years ago, while I was connecting my battery switch panel, I heard a slight crack while I was torquing down the battery cable studs. I do remember at the time telling myself that "it will probably be OK". On this particular cruise, the chart plotter lost power a couple of times, and as things in the battery switch go looser, I lost power to the engine start switch. We were at Bahia Mar marina this time, and quick session with my multi meter ran down the broken switch issue I had ignored years ago. All of my electrical gear is Blue Seas, and it was a pretty easy fix to go to West Marine and buy a replacement switch to swap out of the panel without having to re wire the panel. Blue Seas has a life time warranty on that switch, and even though I was the cause of the failure, they told me to send it back and they'd get a new one headed my way.

On the last hour of our last day of running to Panama City, I did an engine room check and got a stronger than usual whiff of fuel. Looking at the engine a little closer, I found fuel leaking from an injector. It was hard to tell if it was leaking from the return side or the pressure side, but my gut tells me it's on the return side. We had been running the engine around 1800 for the last four hours to get to Panama City while still light, and with our arrival time looking good, we throttled back to 1500 and the leak subsided. Because of the new year holiday and me having to head home the next day, I'm going to have to have a mechanic look at the fuel leak while I'm back home. If the fuel leak is on the pressure side, I could risk wiping out a cylinder due to leaning it out with improper fuel delivery, or a whole list of other bad things could happen.

We'd hoped to be able to do more sight seeing on this short cruise, but because of he weather, the miles rolled by pretty quickly, and I now have the boat at Panama City Marina. Once our fuel issue is resolved, I'll start looking at the weather as this is where I'm plan to cross the bend to the West coast of Florida. I've been doing a fair amount of reading on this part of the trip, and I think I have a plan. The plan is to wait for a two or three day weather window and leave from Panama City heading towards Tarpon Spring or Clear Water for a mid morning arrival. If the weather holds good, I'll stay off shore and try to get as far south as I can before ducking in. I've been watching the weather on Passage Weather and the NOAA sight.

Cheers,

Conall

Attachments

• IMG_20151229_111313248 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151229_111313248 (800x450).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20151229_111539225_HDR (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151229_111539225_HDR (800x450).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20151229_165137622 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151229_165137622 (800x450).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20151230_095504557_HDR (800x441).jpg
    IMG_20151230_095504557_HDR (800x441).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20151230_100802690 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20151230_100802690 (800x450).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20151231_191417796 (450x800).jpg
    IMG_20151231_191417796 (450x800).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20160102_130704103_HDR (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20160102_130704103_HDR (800x450).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 102
Went by Barbers a few weekends back and saw your boat. Nice ride! Good luck on the rest of the trip down. Please keep us up on your progress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom