What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY2GO

Guru
Vessel Name
Walkabout
Vessel Make
1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
We are anchored in an ox bow off a main channel with 100' of chain out and this guy drags his net over our rode and anchor 3 times. It did not foul and who knows maybe there is not much chance of it doing so. I have never used a net so I did not know how they are configured. I did not say anything to him but on the third pass my wife went to the bow and pointed to the anchor chain. He responded by saying that it was not a problem and he knew where the anchor was. He did not know how much rode we had out so he may have assumed he knew but assuming is not knowing. On the first pass he was right off our bow so he had to know that he was crossing our rode.

Later after the third pass we saw him pull up his net so I could then see how it was pulled. It had a large weight on the front almost like a pallet (I guess to hold the bottom of the net down and then there were two lines that attached high to hold the top of the net open. After seeing the weight that was being drug on the bottom I am surprised it did not snag the anchor rode.

2146902a-e51c-4d1c-aeb2-823e63ad4199.jpg

How much water were you in? While I think the guy was pushing it...he might have thought anything more than 3:1 in that location and conditions was way too much...therefore thought he was missing you.

We are anchored in an ox bow off a main channel with 100' of chain out and this guy drags his net over our rode and anchor 3 times. It did not foul and who knows maybe there is not much chance of it doing so. I have never used a net so I did not know how they are configured. I did not say anything to him but on the third pass my wife went to the bow and pointed to the anchor chain. He responded by saying that it was not a problem and he knew where the anchor was. He did not know how much rode we had out so he may have assumed he knew but assuming is not knowing. On the first pass he was right off our bow so he had to know that he was crossing our rode.

Later after the third pass we saw him pull up his net so I could then see how it was pulled. It had a large weight on the front almost like a pallet (I guess to hold the bottom of the net down and then there were two lines that attached high to hold the top of the net open. After seeing the weight that was being drug on the bottom I am surprised it did not snag the anchor rode.

View attachment 46561
Not being there, it's just hypothetical but I probably wouldn't have done anything more than you did. Take a few pics and ID the boat in case something did happen. I'm guessing he was a regular, was familiar with the water flow and could tell by the chain fall off the bow pretty much how your rode was laying.

Short answer, I think he just might have known what he was doing.

How much water were you in? While I think the guy was pushing it...he might have thought anything more than 3:1 in that location and conditions was way too much...therefore thought he was missing you.

We are in 12' of water. The forecast for tomorrow evening is 25 to 30 knots out of the south. Even if we had 3:1 out the first pass would have been real close if not over it. What frustrates me is the ox bow is probably 1000' wide, no need to get that close.

Nets are expensive. Most people that operate them know what they're doing, and don't want to lose their equipment. If he's cool with dragging over your ground tackle, that's on him. It certainly won't knock you off your perch. I'd chill, have a cocktail.

The good news is you were there to observe the action....had you been ashore and he snagged up...who knows how good of a mariner tradition he would have held himself to.

The good news is you were there to observe the action....had you been ashore and he snagged up...who knows how good of a mariner tradition he would have held himself to.
Yup.
See, hypothetical.
Neither one can tell the other they can't do what they are doing.

"Our" local shrimp trawlers work in the channel. We have no desire to anchor within a navigational channel.

Last edited:
Many fishermen catch bait in the marina with nets and I've never seen one get hung on any of the dock anchors or cables. They will cast their nets into the larger slips when boats are gone and in front of occupied slips. IMHO it's not a big deal and if I was anchored out wouldn't worry about a fisherman snagging my anchor, now idiots on jet skis are another story but we have to share the waters with any others who also enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

While jet skis can be annoying...they probably will never endanger your anchoring setup like a shrimp trawler could.

Annoying versus dangerous..lousy choice but I know which holds top priority in my anchorage.

Not sure what he was fishing for, but not all trawling with nets is done on the bottom. His rig may be set up to fish several feet below the surface, not the bottom.

Ted

"Our" local shrimp trawlers work in the channel. We have no desire to anchor within a navigational channel."

You are very lucky.

In Maine they load the channel with lobster pots and their lines , assuring the use of the local tow services and travel lifts.

"Our" local shrimp trawlers work in the channel. We have no desire to anchor within a navigational channel.

Mark I did not say we were anchored in the channel. I said we were anchored in an ox bow OFF the channel. We do not anchor in navigational channels. I don't know anyone who would.

You've never cruised the Tennessee river I take it. Tow's running over those that think the best fishing is in the center of the navigation channel, happens fairly often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom