Carey
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: How far do you live from your Boat?

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:

During the last couple of years that we owned our sailboat Marigot, we docked her at a marina about a 10 minute walk from our house. Interesting to us, because we were so close, we realized that we rarely stayed overnight on her or barbecued etc because we were so close to home.

We still live in the same house in St. Catharines, but we now dock our trawler Delia Rosa in the US at Sunset Bay Marina, in New York about a 45 min trip. When we go to the boat, we stay on her for days at a time. In fact, we actually spend most of the summer aboard. Still close enough to go home if we need to, but far enough away that we don't want to!
We live just ten minutes away ourselves. And that close proximity to home and all of our favorite restaurants does keep me from staying on the boat in her permanent slip. My wife is always suggesting it, expecially when I whine about not getting out cruising enough. There are a couple other factors that influence me, and one is the superior comfort of my home mattress. The other thing is that we are one of only four non-charter boats on our dock. I guess if we had a group of owners on the dock with us, we would develop social interaction with them. The other three non-charter boats are out of town owners, whom we have never seen enough of to identify them as the owners.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote