Best cleaner for Oil/Diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
What is your preferred cleaner for Oil and Diesel spills?

zep industrial purple degreaser

-- Edited by albin43 on Thursday 20th of January 2011 12:45:51 PM

I like Joy dish washing soap. Can use it straight or in a bucket with water. Rinses clean and then there is that lemon fresh sent. Use Joy for all sorts of cleaning projects including washing the outside of the boat. Works great to remove salt and is* environmentally safe.

Disposable rags make the clean up go much quicker. Walmart sells bundles of 16 assorted color washcloths for $4. Just the right size, tough and absorbent for 25 cents each.

Ted

I use oil diapers to pick up the liquid, then simple green or joy to clean the residue.

I buy the diapers in bulk (100) from McMaster-Carr and keep a dozen or so on the boat at all times.

I have always used simply green.
I am liking the idea of putting a diaper on my engine though! :)

Okay, one of you needs to change your avatar...they are almost exactly the same and I always have to look at the name and not the picture....IOW, one of you could be "charged" with something the other says....
smile.gif

Picky picky! Baker, your eyes must be going bad in your old age!
How about my new avatar? does that help????
cowboy.gif

Have you moved "down under"?

Rick,
yes, it is what is known as an "Australian Monk," not to be confused with a platypus.

O C Diver wrote:
I like Joy dish washing soap. Can use it straight or in a bucket with water. Rinses clean and then there is that lemon fresh sent. Use Joy for all sorts of cleaning projects including washing the outside of the boat. Works great to remove salt and is* environmentally safe.
A number of years ago I had a fisherman client who used Joy to clean up what he called "a bit" of bilge oil which he then pumped overboard. He got fined $5k by the CG for using an "illegal dispersant". Can't recall whether he also got fined for casting a sheen upon the waters, but I remember the Joy part.

dwhatty wrote:O C Diver wrote:
A number of years ago I had a fisherman client who used Joy to clean up what he called "a bit" of bilge oil which he then pumped overboard. He got fined $5k by the CG for using an "illegal dispersant". Can't recall whether he also got fined for casting a sheen upon the waters, but I remember the Joy part.Joy is a great cleaner, but as David said, it is illegal to use it as a bilge cleaner and then pump overboard. The problem is that it is just superficial as far as actually breaking down the oil. The result is the oil goes to the bottom, and does the very damage we don't want done. But, the careful use of it can result in a sparkling engine room. Just shut off your bilge pump until you have captured all the joy and other good stuff. Don't forget to turn the pumps back on.*
disbelief.gif

Use anything you want to clean the bilge....but before you put ANY cleaning product, especially detergent into the soup, ya GOTTA use the oil absorbent "pillows" or "diapers" to soak up all the oil or diesel. 'Cuz detergents, degreasers etc emulsify oil and diesel...and once that happens the pillows/diapers can't pick it up any more.

Replace 'em as often as needed till all the oil has been soaked up, then dispose of 'em in the approved place for oily stuff. NOW you can clean the bilge without any need to turn off the bilge pumps...really CLEAN it for a change, which includes rinsing ALL the dirty water out and then drying out the bilge,* instead of just dumping some cleaning product into it and calling it done.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Thursday 20th of January 2011 08:46:45 PM

The Hooligan Navy goes nuts when one squirts Joy from the bottle to a oil sheen from the deck of a boat.

But fines are fine cash flow ,

now that most drugs pour over the southern border by the tons ,in uninspected trucks, there are few boats to seize , or even smash up "searching" .

Any product used as dispersant is illegal. Peggy nailed it- you have to have the oil removed or separated from the bilge water to be in compliance.

Diapers to soak/clean up most of it and Clorox Spray to clean and bleach.* We use Clorox spray for thing we want clean and white. Joy is good also.*Do not pump over board as the shine police will be knocking on your boat.*

"Okay, one of you needs to change your avatar...they are almost exactly the same and I always have to look at the name and not the picture"

Yea them damn trawlers all look the same.
confuse.gif

Most of the people I know use Dawn, not Joy, but if you're using either to break up oil or gasoline spills on the water, you're doing something illegal. Of course, the spill was illegal to start with. The detergent just lessens the chance of getting caught.

What I want to know is, how to get engine oil out of carpet. I just spilled some today. More of a "drip" than a spill, but it's noticable. I blotted all I could with paper towels.

rwidman wrote:

Most of the people I know use Dawn, not Joy, but if you're using either to break up oil or gasoline spills on the water, you're doing something illegal. Of course, the spill was illegal to start with. The detergent just lessens the chance of getting caught.

What I want to know is, how to get engine oil out of carpet. I just spilled some today. More of a "drip" than a spill, but it's noticable. I blotted all I could with paper towels.
How about Dawn or Joy???*
clap.gif

rwidman wrote:

********* Ron, Do Camanos have carpeted engine rooms?** Try some Spray Nine it is pretty good on stains.** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 21st of January 2011 05:47:55 PM

Brake clean.
It smells like a dry cleaning shop, and it works.

JohnP wrote:

rwidman wrote:

********* Ron, Do Camanos have carpeted engine rooms?** Try some Spray Nine it is pretty good on stains.** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 21st of January 2011 05:47:55 PM
Not the engine room, but I had a small oil pump and it dripped oil on the carpet next to the hatch.* There's another stain that looks the same and I'll be it's oil also but I don't know how it got there.* Plain grey carpet is less than ideal on a boat.* It shows everything.

rwidman wrote:

koliver wrote:

Brake clean.
It smells like a dry cleaning shop, and it works.
I might as well, nothing else works.*
cry.gif
I get a product called Oil Eater, which is a citrus based organic cleaner at Costco. It would be worth a try also, if you can find it.*

Am I the only one that has a carpeted engine room?*
hmm.gif
**Being it not much carpeting when I re carpet the boat there is usually some extra.* People think its strange that I vacuum and dust the engine room.
confuse.gif
* When re carpeteting*I pull the old carpet out and use it as a template to cut the new carpet being boats have so many odd shapes.**
We have a*Dirt Devil*rug spot remover.*
biggrin.gif

rwidman wrote:

Thanks, I'll look for it.
Rinse over and over to get the Oil Eater out afterward. It can remain a little sticky.

-- Edited by Carey on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 04:22:15 PM

Phil Fill wrote:
Am I the only one that has a carpeted engine room?
I use to have a walk in engine room on my 54' sport fisher. Two - 8V 92s resided
there, each delivering 760 hp. I was so proud of that ER that I put down bright red
carpet between the engines. That ER was sooo spotless that it was a shame to
even take the boat out! One of my fondest memories of all the boating I have
done was stopping at Subway, buying a foot long, potato chips and a drink and
eating them in ER. Compulsive?* I think so.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Phil Fill wrote:
Am I the only one that has a carpeted engine room?
I use to have a walk in engine room on my 54' sport fisher. Two - 8V 92s resided
there, each delivering 760 hp. I was so proud of that ER that I put down bright red
carpet between the engines. That ER was sooo spotless that it was a shame to
even take the boat out! One of my fondest memories of all the boating I have
done was stopping at Subway, buying a foot long, potato chips and a drink and
eating them in ER. Compulsive?* I think so.

WaltI was a little concerned about your compulsion for engine room cleanliness, but I am REALLY concerned about someone who would choose to dine down there.*
no.gif

My engine room is painted with high gloss, which makes it easier to clean, but most importantly, allows me easy sliding back and forth, as mine is a laydown engineroom. Yes, I'm lazy, but that's not why it's a laydown.*
biggrin.gif

Carey wrote:

Walt
I was a little concerned about your compulsion for engine room cleanliness, but I am REALLY concerned about someone who would choose to dine down there.*
no.gif

Walt, you are my hero.* Here is Moonstruck's engine room.* Now, what is so wrong about dining down there?
smile.gif

Attachments

• moonstruck's engine room.jpg
    moonstruck's engine room.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 91
Old Stone wrote:

Don - Looks great, but the real question is................where do you keep the mustard and pickles ??????
Carl, the condiments and drinks are stored in a dorm room sized refrigerator not in the picture.* The top of the generator hush box serves as the table.* As the meals are seldom formal down there we use a paper table cloth.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom