Leaving the Keys, Headed for Houston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If anyone has any local knowledge of good places to anchor along the GWIC from the Mississippi River to Kemah I would love to hear about them.

Active Captain has very few. Hopefully we can add a some more along the way.

We also had a long wait at the Algiers lock-- about two hours. The river was way up so we tied off to a tree at the bank. Glad you got unstuck.

I had some luck anchoring in some of the side canals that connect to the GCICW, but can't remember which ones now of course. One evening in a huge rainstorm I couldn't find an anchorage before dark and had to tie up to a barge that was tied up alongside an oilfield business of some sort. They were closed so nobody ran me off. I left before they opened up the next AM.

Top anchor

Ah the finest example of modern orange and white architecture known to man.

View attachment 46055

We met up with Rafe and Annette from Cat Daddy and had a wonderful dinner and time to get to know each other. Rafe is the second Trawler Forum member that we have met on this trip. We met Gordon and Lamora "Off Duty" in Dunedin and had a wonderful time with them as well.

After checking the weather again this morning I decided to go ahead and run the outside over to Destin. It was a very nice run with a little wind and waves but not bad at all. We left about 7:45 am and dropped the hook in Destin harbor about 4:30 pm. 56 nautical miles. We were at the Whataburger within the hour. I like it. Tomorrow we should make Pensacola. Hoping to be in Ocean Springs MS by Tuesday and take a break there for a couple of days. I want to time it so that we cross the Mississippi river on a Sunday.

We took on 125 gallons of diesel at Pier 98 in Panama City which brought us up to exactly where we were when we left Islamorada. A little over 500 miles on 125 gallons. I like it.

The new anchor roller worked out perfect. The anchor came up and stowed perfectly. The lock pin even fits into the slot of the anchor to hold it tight. I love it when a plan comes together.

View attachment 46056
View attachment 46057
View attachment 46058
Sunset in Destin harbor.

Very interesting and still beautiful pictures. Thank you Mike !

Mike: Soon as I read the part that said you nosed her up on the mud bank, I figured that it sounded like what I would do in the same instance, and before long I read that the consequences I'd usually have by making that decision were the consequences you also had. Nothing like holding up thousands of tons of traffic while this toy boat tries to undo its intentional grounding. Thank heavens you got off of there. The passing wakes of the barges would have only made it worse, and I doubt they would have thrown you a rescue line. Anyway, great account. Entertaining and light when you can read it instead of living it.

If anyone has any local knowledge of good places to anchor along the GWIC from the Mississippi River to Kemah I would love to hear about them.

Active Captain has very few. Hopefully we can add a some more along the way.

Houma Municipal Marina $25 night(between the bridges)-Mermentau River(good anchorage), My camp dock at Cypremort Point(vermilion Bay) Demer2 is coming to spend a night Monday with another cruiser. Just let me know and I'll give you directions and come visit. What's your draft?

On the river system there are many places marked on the charts as "safety harbors". Most are places with enough draft for the tow boats to push their barges up to the bank and out of the channel. A "V" in the bow of the boat pushed into soft mud can create a suction that can take a good deal of power to overcome. Many of the safety harbors make great anchorages, but the towboats will sometimes use them to take breaks or kill time. You may not like it if in the middle of the night the dark lights up like the second coming.

Last edited:
When you are coming through Houma and need anything, let me know, will pick you up and get what you need.

Thanks for sharing that, Mike! A great lesson for many here!

That's something commonly done in the delta by anglers to get the wind at your back and stabilize the boat, but they nose into the tule reeds and weeds. We have to be careful not to be caught by the falling tide or we might be there for several hours!

I used: Houma city dock $25 W/ pumpout facilities, power & water.
Berwick city dock - free (across channel from Morgan City)
Weeks Bay anchorage-active captain(somewhat exposed) part of Vermilion Bay
Mermentau Riveranchorage-active captain(great place)
Lake Charles civic center dock-$20 super nice facility & cheap.
Stingaree Restaurant-$25 power & water.

Morgan City had fuel for $1.99 at that time. Shell Morgan in Intercostal City was closed on Sunday when I came through, but are known as the cheapest fuel around.

Glad your past NOLA, hope your AIS is warmed up.

Rafe

I used: Houma city dock $25 W/ pumpout facilities, power & water.
Berwick city dock - free (across channel from Morgan City)
Weeks Bay anchorage-active captain(somewhat exposed) part of Vermilion Bay
Mermentau Riveranchorage-active captain(great place)
Lake Charles civic center dock-$20 super nice facility & cheap.
Stingaree Restaurant-$25 power & water.

Morgan City had fuel for $1.99 at that time. Shell Morgan in Intercostal City was closed on Sunday when I came through, but are known as the cheapest fuel around.

Glad your past NOLA, hope your AIS is warmed up.

Rafe

Thanks Rafe, and yes the AIS is warmed up. I wish we would have had it 5 years ago when we came down the Mississippi river. 800 miles of meeting barges around bends. It would have been nice to have had their names to call them. Our AIS is just a receiver built into our VHF radio and then displayed on our Garmin chart plotter but works beautifully. It is so nice to be able to call a tow by name and to see them before rounding the bend. Never had it until this trip, but can not imagine traveling without one now. My hats off to mariners of even just 30 years ago with no gps, chart plotters, AIS, and other goodies. I don't think I would have done it, or at least enjoyed it.

Many good anchorages have been mentioned along that route. I would caution against tying to any red flagged barge. It could be very dangerous to many in the area and make for a very bad day. Kartracer will show you the hospitality that S. La. is known for. I just spent a very enjoyable day or so down that way. You might also want to visit the Tobasco Plant at Avery Island, I believe it is up Bayou Petit Anse.

Safe Travels

Shoot me a message when you get to the Texas state line will buy you dinner here as well �� Sabine river offers plenty of safe anchorages right off the ICW would love to hear some stories

Last edited:
Mike
Saw you pass under the Cypremort Point Bridge on the GICW around 8am. I was waiting on Dimer2 and Ray to come by to take a few pictures. Your making good time. Sorry to have missed you would have loved to visit you at my camp. Blue (Dimer2)& Ray spend two nights at the Point and left this at 7am today. Great looking botany the way. Stay in touch and have a safe trip.

Time for a Break

We are anchored in the Mermentau River. We have been moving pretty good but it is time for a break. This is the best place we have found to anchor since Destin Harbor. We will stay at least one more night if not two. It is so nice to be stopped. It is also nice to only have to use one anchor. On Wednesday night the only place we could find to anchor was in the mouth of a little canal off the ICW. We used four anchors to hold us in place. It was not fun pulling them all up the next morning. It was so nice to just relax yesterday afternoon and enjoy the anchorage. I think I might take the dingy out today and look around.

We are not near much of anything here which is good. This is the kind of anchorage that I like. The funny thing is that we do not have cell phone service but did find an unsecured wifi to connect to, so we have internet but no phone. That is a first.

We have been running 9 or 10 hour days and not making bad time for a slow trawler. 958 nautical miles so far. It has been a little over 5 weeks since we left the Keys. I have thoroughly enjoyed the trip all the way up to New Orleans, but honestly the last 220 miles have just been work. Don't get me wrong some of it has been nice. It does seem that the further west we get the better it gets. I can not wait to hit Texas. I did not realize that there was so much ship building going on in Louisiana. We have passed a lot of ship yards. They are interesting to look at as you go by.

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6711.jpg

IMG_6701.jpg

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6785.jpg

ddalme, sorry we missed you as well. Did you happen to get any pics of us at the bridge?

Heyfinshnfool, we do plan on anchoring on the Sabine river. I do not know what dingy dock access will be like. We will see what we can work out.

Those big orange ships under construction in your photos belong to Edison Chouest Offshore, Inc. When I was in banking they were my largest customer - great private company that is probably the largest private employer in Louisiana. They build, own and operate vessels for the oil industry, research (Woods Hole/Robert Ballard), US Navy (submarine tugs).... was very fascinating working with them.

ddalme, sorry we missed you as well. Did you happen to get any pics of us at the bridge?

Heyfinshnfool, we do plan on anchoring on the Sabine river. I do not know what dingy dock access will be like. We will see what we can work out.

Yes-but only after you passed on the west side-I was taken by surprise-you are really honking on. Next time you are thru here contact me, we can get together for a visit.

Man I remember all that, just drove that area a few months ago. From Tx. you make me want take a trip so bad. Got my new stainless parts today. Will install on Sunday. Y'all have a safe trip and sorry I missed ya. Work has been really busy lately.

Ready2go, we passed you about 5 miles west of Freshwater City (Shell Morgan Dock), as Doug said. We were the blue hulled Jarvis Newman and the dirty but white Bayliner. The Sabine river anchorage is a good one.
Safe travels!

In addition to Edison Chouest with 200+ ships and all their shipyards, you also have Harvey Gulf Marine building in the same area. One thing that makes this such a booming area for ships is serving the offshore oil industry.

Chouest bought Westport Yachts out here in the PNW about a year and a half ago from Orrin Edson, Bayliner and Westport's founder. As a part of the deal, Edson got a nice new 164' Westport. A friend was his captain on his old one, Evviva and will be the captain on the new one.

Ready2go, we passed you about 5 miles west of Freshwater City (Shell Morgan Dock), as Doug said. We were the blue hulled Jarvis Newman and the dirty but white Bayliner. The Sabine river anchorage is a good one.
Safe travels!

I wondered if that was you. I think we were overtaking a barge at the time. I know all too well about "dirty but white". Anchoring in Louisiana mud every night has taken it's toll on our white decks. Can't wait to get somewhere so I can scrub the boat down. Have a good trip and safe travels.

Chouest bought Westport Yachts out here in the PNW about a year and a half ago from Orrin Edson, Bayliner and Westport's founder. As a part of the deal, Edson got a nice new 164' Westport. A friend was his captain on his old one, Evviva and will be the captain on the new one.

New one has already been put to quite a bit of use.

There is one thing that really distinguishes Orin Edson and the Chouest family from so many owners of boat builders and ship builders. They are lovers of boats through and through. Chouest is multigenerational and multi sibling. They also own ACY (American Custom Yachts) which build SF boats. The fish in tournaments too. As to Edson, he started when he was a kid selling six wooden boats from the yard of a tar company. That led to founding Bayliner. Then later he owned Pacific Mariner and then Westport. Now the other thing they both have is very deep pockets so they can survive and thrive in the ups and downs of the industries they are in. One other thing. They're both just very classy very decent people.

We have been anchored in an ox bow just off the Calcasieu River since Saturday night. We saw the wind predicted that we are now getting and decided to ride it out here in a nice anchorage rather than getting it while anchored in a small canal somewhere. I am glad we did as it has really been blowing today. It is supposed to die down this evening. If it does we will be back on the road again in the morning.

I am so happy that we are now past all the locks and pontoon bridges. It should be a pleasant three days into Clear Lake. We have tried not to have a schedule on this trip, but it is now getting close to Thanksgiving and it is time to get there. The next three days look good so hopefully it will be a nice finish to the trip. We finally got a marina nailed down today. We got a slip at Seabrook Marina. I am not thrilled about being in a marina for 4 months but I guess there are worse things in life. Now that I think about it there are much worse things.

We left Seabrook a month or so ago. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Safe travels.

We left Seabrook a month or so ago. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Safe travels.

Blue,
Every time we've made the trip over (or from) Clear Lake we were on a 4 day schedule. WRONG... I've promised myself any future trips will allow for a much more relaxed cruise....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

We made it to Clear Lake yesterday. It was a good trip. The last 10 to 15 miles of the GIWW were the toughest though. More tows than anyone would want to deal with. The run up the bay was very choppy. As we were coming into the entrance to Clear Lake we saw a power boat coming out. I said to my wife I can't believe anyone would come out in this if they didn't have to. He bounce abit and then turned around and went back in. We followed him in and are now tied up at Seabrook Marina.

A few stats for the trip.
44 days.
1123 nautical miles
1302 statute miles
300 gallons of diesel
210 engine hours
1.42 gallons per hour average
No mechanical breakdowns (other than replacing the anchor roller)

Very happy with my 38 year old boat.

Nice results. Well Done!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Haha, my trips are usually more like this:

180 miles
4 days
24 hours on engines
300 gallons of gas
1.4 breakdowns per hour

Generally frustrated with my 25 year old boat.

I'm glad you had a good trip, here's to many more!

READY2GO - Interesting numbers, 3.75 nmpg at 5.35 nmph. Is that on a single engine? We've come close to that on twin engines but I think we had a big help from the tide and the wind on that trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom