Fresh Water Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Out2c

Vessel Name
Lisa Anne
Vessel Make
1982 Californian 34 LRC
I own a 1982 Wellcraft Californian LRC. The previous owner removed the water tanks. There are two water fill points. One port and one starboard located on the outside of the house. The boat is equipped with twin Cat 3208's. The tanks appeared to have been located outside of the engines. The space is approximately 12in by 48in.
Can anyone shed some light on tank replacements?
Thanks

What model LRC? 34, 38, etc

Fresh water tanks

It is a 34.

I have a 1984 34 w/Detroit 8.2's. I am trying to picture your layout, as my water tank was on the centerline of the boat; between the engines. There is a single fill located in the aft end of the cockpit. My fuel tanks are aft & slightly outboard of the engines, w/ fill points in the aft corners of the cockpit. My batteries are located outboard of each engine. I can't quite visualize your setup, as 12x48 would be pretty tight for tanks of any capacity. Wonder how high they would have to be, & how would engine access be?

My fuel tanks are positioned as yours are with the same fill ports.
The batteries are located port and starboard in front of the engines.
There is nothing along the centerline with the exception of the genset which is under the cockpit.
The waste system pump out is located on the starboard side.

Could you install a tank in the space between the engines? Ours is a 70 gal tank installed in that space.

Yes it is possible. I was just wondering why there are a port and starboard water fill.
I suppose that a water tank on the centerline would be best.
Thanks.

Great. Thanks so much. I'll check them out.

Water tank

I have an 1982 34 and the water tank is in the centerline between the engines. The fill is on the aft deck. The fuel tanks are on each side aft of the engines.

My '84 LRC 34 has 4 fills total; Fuel fills are at aft end of cockpit, one on each side. Water fill is just to port side of lazarette hatch. Holding tank pump out fitting is mid ship on port side.

My '84 LRC 34 has 4 fills total; Fuel fills are at aft end of cockpit, one on each side. Water fill is just to port side of lazarette hatch. Holding tank pump out fitting is mid ship on port side.

I have a 1977 Marshall 34 LRC. The 75 gal water tank is on C/L aft with 40 gal holding tank on C/L between the engines. The batts (3 8D boxes) are on C/L fwd of the holding tank.

All of my fills are as described by chc.

These guys make close to 500 different size and shapes of water tanks
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks
They will put the fittings where ever you want them and the tanks have good thick walls.

That's certainly the way I'd recommend you go. I had 2 x 200 litre food grade plastic tanks made for my Clipper 34, and placed them in between the fuel tanks which were outboard in the lazarette - works well. I linked them to a reserve bladder type reserve tank in the cavity under the forward cabin floor, which fills from the main tanks by gravity, via a selector tap. Nice to have - we have occasionally needed it with a longer stay out, but not often, but it helps the trim as well.

The water tank set up on this Californian must be one of a kind. I agree with everyone to place a tank on the centerline. An aux water tank is a great idea as well.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Water tankage thoughts: should be as neutral location as possible to allow for stability when full or empty.

If only one water tank installed, it should be considered for centerline amidship.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom