Perko strainer baskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldhudson

Vessel Name
Drift Away
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 545
I have 5 x 1" Perko raw water strainers onboard and one of the strainers the plastic piece on the base has disintegrated. Can I buy just the plastic part? Also is this caused by chlorine tablets used to control algae growth?

I have actually made replacements from starboard. The geometry is simple. I used a hole saw, a drill and then a file to make them.

I've been selling Perko strainer baskets for about forty years. I've never heard of the plastic breaking before holes developed in the metal part. I bet it was the chlorine. I had a plastic container of chlorine tablets become brittle and break. Nasty stuff. The Starboard is a nice fix.

Are you using this on your toilet intake?

We replaced our Groco SS baskets with plastic. Does Perko have plastic replacements? The plastic have been great.

Larry, Perko doesn't offer plastic baskets. Probably not a good choice for the OP as it was the plastic part of his basket that failed.
I like the Groco plastic baskets as well but I don't put chlorine tablets in them.

The toilets are fresh water flush. These are for the HVAC cooling water plus the gennie. I had a discussion with one of my boat neighbors a month or so ago and he mentioned there is a similar product used to prevent algae growth. I will have to ask him again. I like the starboard solution, might give it a try next weekend. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom