Securing a retaining pin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I found the position of the retaining pin on my weaver leaver had moved in such a way that it could come out. The small tab retains the pin in the hole by a little notch in it's side. The tab is suppose to stay in position by spring tension. I don't trust this arrangement anymore. If the pin came out the dinghy with motor would probably fall forward damaging the back of the boat or if it fell aft due to catching the wind would probably rip the weaver attached points off the swim platform.

So as an interum fix is used the retaining device (don't know the name) shown in the second picture. But this is difficult to remove each time. I need something that is easy and quick to remove.
Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20151108_24221.jpg
    IMG_20151108_24221.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20151108_2492.jpg
    IMG_20151108_2492.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 80
I'd call it a Keychain ring.
Maybe a quick release pin with a lanyard?: McMaster-Carr

Tim,

I have removable pins that have clips like this. Maybe they'll work in your installation with a retaining cable.

I got mine at Ace Hardware.

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 84
That pin looks to be spring loaded Maybe drill a hole through it and put one of Al's pins through it SS if available, I'd put an SS flat washer between the pin and the side plate.

I see it as a non issue. If the pin is in the position shown in the first or second picture I don't see it being able to easily get in a position that would allow it to back out. Unless the spring breaks of course. Or it wasn't secured properly in the first place.

But if you want to further secure it, drill a hole back from the point on the blade and use an R-clip like Al suggested. Put the clip on a leash.

I see it as a non issue. If the pin is in the position shown in the first or second picture I don't see it being able to easily get in a position that would allow it to back out. Unless the spring breaks of course. Or it wasn't secured properly in the first place.

But if you want to further secure it, drill a hole back from the point on the blade and use an R-clip like Al suggested. Put the clip on a leash.

The pin didn't work it's way out but the retaining tab somehow got in line with the pin and the pin had backed out just a little. The problem is the spring does not provide enough tension.

Yes an R clip like Al suggested will do trick. Now I jjust have to find a drill bit that will drill SS. We're on the boat traveling south on the Chessie.

Thanks guys.;)

You can buy those off the shelf in any agricultural tractor dealership; bring the old one in and ask for replacement pin for 3 point hitch.

I prefer the ones which have a hole for a snap ring...used on almost all tractors, and 100% secure.

mUGd2gOCtRNPfLJ2Pkhaxkw.jpg

You can buy those off the shelf in any agricultural tractor dealership; bring the old one in and ask for replacement pin for 3 point hitch.

I prefer the ones which have a hole for a snap ring...used on almost all tractors, and 100% secure.

mUGd2gOCtRNPfLJ2Pkhaxkw.jpg

Those work great, but I've never seen them in stainless, and I think he'll need stainless.

Those work great, but I've never seen them in stainless, and I think he'll need stainless.

Maybe he could drill a 1/4" hole in the end of the one he's already got, at 90* to the slot on the origional , and fit a snap ring to locate it.

. Now I jjust have to find a drill bit that will drill SS. We're on the boat traveling south on the Chessie.

Thanks guys.;)

Just about ay drill made for steel will work on stainless at least for few holes. I usually use titanium nitride coated (gold color). Thy last a little longer.

The pin didn't work it's way out but the retaining tab somehow got in line with the pin and the pin had backed out just a little. The problem is the spring does not provide enough tension.

Yes an R clip like Al suggested will do trick. Now I jjust have to find a drill bit that will drill SS. We're on the boat traveling south on the Chessie.

Thanks guys.;)

If the problem is the spring doesn't provide enough tension add several big flat washers between the spring and the side plate it "pushes" against. that should tighten things up without drilling and keeps it all SS.

If the problem is the spring doesn't provide enough tension add several big flat washers between the spring and the side plate it "pushes" against. that should tighten things up without drilling and keeps it all SS.

Brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of that.

But part of the problem is the pin kind of sticks in the hole, thus the spring tension is not fully applied to the pin. I could lubricate the pin and hole but that would only last as long as the lube lasted, maybe a month or so.

Most all of the hitch / tractor pins & retainers are zinc coated and should be fine for awhile... at least until a more permanent fix to the existing can be made.

Back
Top Bottom