Flybridge terminology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonic

Vessel Name
Tonic
Vessel Make
1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Having a bit of brain fart here trying to describe the storage/access area forward of my upper helm. First, what is the term for the exterior area from below the wind deflector to above the salon (or pilothouse) forward windows, and second, is there a term for this particular storage/access space itself?

I thought I knew this but am having trouble accessing my memory banks. Thanks in advance.

In Australia we call it the area under the flybridge Brow.

Not sure what you refer to it as in the States.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Duh! Brow...that's it, thanks. Senility is setting in fast.

Some may call just the thick edge over the widows the brow, the part that is storage and blocks view/ wind the flying bridge fairing, and the plexiglass on top of that the venturi.

But as many parts of more modern boats...different people and places have adopted different names.

On US military ships, the brow is also the gangway.

Last edited:
I've also heard "eyebrow."

We've almost got room for a '57 Chevy in ours. At least a couple bikes, fenders, folding chairs, a bag of PFDs, a couple milk crates filled with miscellaneous stuff, etc.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. T. Eyebrow. We also have quite a bit of room in ours but we try to store bulky, lighter stuff up there. Empty oil jugs for oil changes, some life vests and cleaning equipment.

Greetings,
Mr. T. Eyebrow. We also have quite a bit of room in ours but we try to store bulky, lighter stuff up there. Empty oil jugs for oil changes, some life vests and cleaning equipment.

Yep, lighter stuff.

And our bikes are usually only up there during winter storage...

-Chris

We've always called the enclosed stowage area the doghouse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom