Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeaMaster101,
As long as you think the rudder is big enough I think what you've got if fine .. and perhaps a tad bit more efficient.

Gabe n Em,
That's a houseboat.

Last edited:
Holy cow! Can't say much for the tankage, battery power and charger/inverter capacities for that size ship, but it's a dream boat. Hull done by Osprey too! How about that engine room. Ever seen a cleaner 671?

The houseboat/gentleman's yacht is a real princess.
Yes the DD is as they all should be .. taken care of.
At 3NM/gal she's only burning double what Willy burns. Draft is only 6" more.

I wonder about the sheathing w 1/4" plywood. I would'nt call that cold moulding. Nice buzz word though. Presumably the sheathing was put on to stop leaking. If the planking was OK why not just caulk the seams real good. Probably was some good thinking behiend it though. Perhaps that's what they do these days. Would'nt be a substitute for re-fastening though. And speaking of re-fastening how would one do that when the time came w all that plywood on there?

Wonderful boat and I especially like the wheelhouse.

I posted photos of this wood boat awhile back. A couple of people wanted to know what the boat had been originally. Last week when we were having our boat hauled again I remembered to ask the yard manager. It was a sub chaser that had been purchased for conversion into a yacht. The boat was repowered with a pair of V-12 engines but I don't know what kind.

The owner passed away recently and the boat is now for sale. It has had a lot of work done on its hull and systems. I was told the interior is currently gutted as this was to be the next step in the conversion to a yacht.

Attachments

• Patrol.jpg
    Patrol.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 91
Marin,
Looks a whole lot more like a yacht than a subchaser. I suspect she's already been converted once. Looks like a whale watcher or similar.
Suspect 12cyl DD engines.

My dad had a boat w a 500hp straight eight DD but it was a 268A. That was 268 cu in per cyl and a 12cyl of that disp per cyl would be way way too big even for that boat. Not to mention two of them.

Nope it was not transferred-sorry.

Greetings, if this photo comes through, it will be of a similar hull as the sub chaster. This too was a sub chaser converted to tug boat. It is maintained to yachat standards as are all of the Boyer fleet. What I knew of her she was powered with twin v-12 Jimmies, but not positive as that was years ago under charter to Standard Oil Co serving logging camps and outlying town bulk stations with oil barge.
Al-Ketchikan

Name: IMG_3813.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 169.8 KB
ID: 44483

I posted photos of this wood boat awhile back. A couple of people wanted to know what the boat had been originally. Last week when we were having our boat hauled again I remembered to ask the yard manager. It was a sub chaser that had been purchased for conversion into a yacht. The boat was repowered with a pair of V-12 engines but I don't know what kind.

The owner passed away recently and the boat is now for sale. It has had a lot of work done on its hull and systems. I was told the interior is currently gutted as this was to be the next step in the conversion to a yacht.

Cairdeas already was a yacht. http://www.splinterfleet.org/sfafloat.php

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
Cairdeas already was a yacht. Splinter Fleet - Subchaser Hulls Still Afloat

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Right. The vessel has been in our harbor for a number of years now. The exterior conversion had already been carried out when she first appeared. For years she was in and out of the yard but when in the water was moored nearby. She's back in the water again now.

Over the years she's been here she had her transom and hull some feet forward of it completely rebuilt and other exterior work done. There would be a burst of activity and then the boat would just sit in the water for many months, then another burst of activity, and so on.

Rusty - TY for HC article. Great read over first coffee! - Art

Rusty - TY for HC article. Great read over first coffee! - Art

I nearly traveled across the English channel on one, but I pulled into the loading bay a couple of minutes too late only to see it depart into the distance; the noise was something else.

Went on the ferry instead. :blush:

We filmed the Channel hovercrafts arriving and departing their big ramp at Dover a number of years ago. It was an impressive sight and a very noisy operation. They didn't seem very efficient and they probably wouldn't be with today's fuel prices. But they seemed to fill the need pretty effctively at the time.

We also filmed these operating out of the LHA USS Peleliu, one of the Navy's amphibious assault carriers. They were carried inside the ship and driven out of the open stern when the ship flooded aft to put the end of the lower deck underwater. The Peleliu has since been decommissioned and I don't know if the Marines still use the LCACs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
No, with your name you should see that it is a hoverbarge. It can only lift itself up, no propulsion. With the vertol in the pic, they were doing a test. Never used a heliocopter to do any hauling that I remember. The cement tanks onboard were empty. I helped tow it around for a month or so one winter, late 70's I think.

No, with your name you should see that it is a hoverbarge. It can only lift itself up, no propulsion. With the vertol in the pic, they were doing a test. Never used a heliocopter to do any hauling that I remember. The cement tanks onboard were empty. I helped tow it around for a month or so one winter, late 70's I think.

Wow! Now that's something , towed around with a chopper.

Only an oil exploration company could afford the bills....

Here is a not too good, pic of a pic. It shows the barge being towed by Rolligons in tandem. Barge could handle load in excess of 100 ton. I worked for the company with the Rolligons. We were hired to tow barge, which was moving a drill rig and equipment off of a 500 million dollar dry hole called Mukluk Island in 1982. Round the clock for 3 weeks, sleep and eat when loading or unloading or broke down. $$$. History of this barge, if my memory is still good, is that it started out in NY Harbor, dismantled and moved to Canada, made it to Hay River, down the Mckenzie, and then to Prudhoe Bay. It was put back together and used in Prudhoe. I don't think it got much work. Before it could go to work on the ice, in moving the Mukluk rig, the Coast Guard had to fly to prudhoe to sign off that it was seaworthy. I also think the barge operator had to be Coast Guard licensed. Us grunts towing it were not licensed, may be a slip up by the feds..those were the days!ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447093391.842022.jpg

Here is a not too good, pic of a pic. It shows the barge being towed by Rolligons in tandem. Barge could handle load in excess of 100 ton. I worked for the company with the Rolligons. We were hired to tow barge, which was moving a drill rig and equipment off of a 500 million dollar dry hole called Mukluk Island in 1982. Round the clock for 3 weeks, sleep and eat when loading or unloading or broke down. $$$. History of this barge, if my memory is still good, is that it started out in NY Harbor, dismantled and moved to Canada, made it to Hay River, down the Mckenzie, and then to Prudhoe Bay. It was put back together and used in Prudhoe. I don't think it got much work. Before it could go to work on the ice, in moving the Mukluk rig, the Coast Guard had to fly to prudhoe to sign off that it was seaworthy. I also think the barge operator had to be Coast Guard licensed. Us grunts towing it were not licensed, may be a slip up by the feds..those were the days!View attachment 46383

That would make a fantastic story for a sci-fi movie; I can see it all happening on Mars.

That must have been an unique experience; I doubt it will ever be repeated , must have been a very creative naval architect .

Hope this hasn't been posted yet.

"White Pearl," billed as the world's largest sailing yacht. Built in Germany for a Russian billionaire. Carbon fiber masts, at 300 ft, are 80 ft too tall to fit under the Golden Gate, according to Panbo.

Can you say "wretched excess"?

edit: well, damn, I see now photos have been posted; I'm finding the video grotesquely compelling.

Last edited:
If you wait long enough everything comes back around again. The lines are not unlike the old Spanish galleons.

Attachments

• Galleon.jpg
    Galleon.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 83
He needed a sailboat to match his motor boat that made this thread earlier. Fortunately this one will make it under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 66
He needed a sailboat to match his motor boat that made this thread earlier. Fortunately this one will make it under the Golden Gate Bridge.

That's not a major accomplishment, by itself. More important, what happened before that.

Nevertheless, It's always exciting leaving or entering The Bay.

Last edited:
There isn't a single line on that thing I like. Not one. I don't think I could design anything uglier if I tried. Clearly this person requires a LOT of attention.

Back
Top Bottom