Winter Refuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonstruck wrote
They also saved taxe by narrowing the fronts of their homes by turning the ends to the street.* They placed private piazzas to the side and turned a negative to an asset--------the beautiful Charleston gardens & court yards.* I developed a whole community of these style homes and lived in one.

This was my patio.* It is amazing how things can turn out when you save taxes.

My understanding is that the shotgun houses in New Orleans came about for the same reason. They were taxed based on road frontage width. The lots and homes in the poorer neighborhoods are long and very narrow.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:21:58 PM

One needed to live close to work, so lots were often expensive.* Thus, less-wealthy people could afford (to buy or rent)*only small (skinny) lots permitting only skinny homes one-room wide and several rooms long, sans hallway.

Since the doors were usually in-line, one allegedly could shoot a shotgun through the front door and have all the pellets exit via the back door.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:06:09 PM

ChuckB wrote:I think we would also like Charleston.* However, what I have read about Charleston is that many of the anchorages are subject to heavy wind and tide action.* Can anyone recommend marinas that would be a pleasant place to spend some time?

The wind isn't bad (unless it's windy) but the reversing tidal currents are strong.* As you move south from MD to FL, the tides get larger down to aboyr the GA/FL border, then they start getting smaller.** Look at a map of the US east cost and you'll understand.* It will be a little worse in Hilton Head than in Charleston.

In MD, you often find hills and trees next to the water that will block the wind.* Very few places like that around SC and GA.* It's mostly marsh.

http://www.charlestonharborresort.com/*is probably the closest thing to a resort marina around here.* I've been there a few times.* There's a pool, restaurant, bar, laundry, etc.* All the marinas have websites so do a search.

Charlston City Marina is very nice and since Charston deserves a visit so is worth the expense.

Yes I do pay to tie up, IF its worthwhile .

Rare as it is.

FF wrote:

Charlston City Marina is very nice and since Charston deserves a visit so is worth the expense.

Yes I do pay to tie up, IF its worthwhile .

Rare as it is.
Right, FF.* Charleston City Marina would be my choice for a cruiser.* It is pretty close, but not the closest to the old town, they have a free shuttle to there West Marine & Harris Teeters Super Market.* Lots of action and boat candy on the Mega Dock.* Showers and laundry facilities can't be beat.* Fuel at your docking spot-------marina nirvana.

Study the tidal current and wind carefully before going in.* If you have to, tie up temporarily to check out your assigned spot.* It can be very unforgiving once you get into the tight area behind the Megadock.* Set fenders and lines before entering, and have your crew prepared.* It can be a 3 knot current.

markpierce wrote:

One needed to live close to work, so lots were often expensive.* Thus, less-wealthy people could afford (to buy or rent)*only small (skinny) lots permitting only skinny homes one-room wide and several rooms long, sans hallway.

Since the doors were usually in-line, one allegedly could shoot a shotgun through the front door and have all the pellets exit via the back door.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:06:09 PM
Mark you have described a live work situation where most left for work on foot with their lunch pails.* That is what the greenies and planners are trying to force us into today.* High densities with transportation by publc,*foot, bicycle, and electric car.* To get this back to how it relates to boats if would probably be only sail boats with no auxilliary power and solar powere boats allowed.

This is our winter redoubt. We definitely need a warmer refuge. It's supposed to dump snow every five days for the next 45 days. Can't even get in to the boatyard to see if the boat stands are okay.

Attachments

• dscn0130.jpg
    dscn0130.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom