View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #215
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The way we boat may not be just out of personal choice but personal situation.

For some of us, the boat is all we have and our lilfestyle, 365 days a year.

Others it is but a toy, something to spend a fraction of our time on..no less loved, but not our constant companion.

Those that can pick and choose because boating barely scratches their discretionary part of their budget great...for some of us...our boat is our home and our vacations and consume the vast majority of our budgets
Absolutely. I see people argue over what is "cruising" and other labels, but we all boat and every one of us does it differently. Most of the people here actually use their boats, even if much of that use is just living on it. That's a great use of one. We spend 2/3 of our time on a boat. Others spend 100% and others 5%.

I'd say huge differences in how important it is to each of us. How would we feel if suddenly we had no boat. Is boating something we've done all our lives or something we just got into when we retired?

And you use the term "personal situation." That includes so much from financial to lifestyle to health to likes and dislikes. For those here who have more than one boat, the situation is likely different between the two. One may be their home or vacation home and the other a toy or a project. I'd even include ability to work on one's own boat as part of personal situation.

There are no two people here the same and to me that's a great part of boating. We all do it our own way, all differently, but we share a common love of the water. I can't even tell you why I love the water so. I just do. It's not even logical in many ways. I could cover more ground, cheaper, faster by land and plane. But to me they don't matter. I've been to NYC at least 30 times. Yet, I remember the first time arriving by water. I somehow saw it in a totally different light. In spite of the commercial traffic, it felt more peaceful and less rushed. I would rather spend the night on a boat docked there than in the most expensive hotel.

I don't even think you know how you're going to feel until you do it. We thought when we started that we'd occasionally want to get off the boat and spend the night in a hotel. It's never happened.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote