Engine won't crank. Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireant4040

I have a 36' Albin with a 220 Cummins. The motor turns over but it won't crank. It cranked for about 5 seconds but then died and hasn't cranked since. I'm thinking fuel or air but I have no clue about what specifically is wrong and what I can do to fix it. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

First suggestion, shut off the intake water valve to prevent hydro lock.. This is all too common a problem under multitude cranking events. Instantaneously open it again when engine fires.

Yes, no fuel flow is likely but a stop solenoid or on off switch could be acting up. Any recent engine maintenance been done? A bit of history would be helpful.

Does crank mean run?

I would check the easier first, battery and cables. Yesterday the land yacht would not crank. The day before we drove across Oklahoma on their bumpy pot hole roads which caused the big starter cable to come loose. Also tap rap on the start as they tend to stop and arc over time.

Ifthat does not work then the next step is to make sure the engine will turn over, and not hydraulic locked. Let us know after you checked out the easiest first.

I would check the easier first, battery and cables. Yesterday the land yacht would not crank. The day before we drove across Oklahoma on their bumpy pot hole roads which caused the big starter cable to come loose. Also tap rap on the start as they tend to stop and arc over time.

Ifthat does not work then the next step is to make sure the engine will turn over, and not hydraulic locked. Let us know after you checked out the easiest first.

Good advice; give the solenoid a tap with a hammer, they often stick .

Crank and turn over terms might be swapped.

So to the OP: Does starter spin engine over when holding start?

Best terms: Starter spinning engine over.. Cranking

Engine starts as normal: Starts

Engine starts then stalls: Starts then stalls.

"turn over" can get confusing as it means different things to different folks.

OP- Clarify and we can help. If it started then stalled, sounds like air in fuel. There is a process to bleed the CAV pump, best for any owner to know how to do it.

The engine started normal but stalled after a few seconds. After that, I couldn't get it to start. When holding start, the engine spins but doesn't start.

Check fuel level and fuel valves. Symptoms are typical of running out of fuel or getting air into fuel. Above the fuel filter on left side of engine is a bleed screw, crack that open and pump lever on fuel lift pump. If air spits out, you have gotten air into fuel system. There are two 8mm hex screws on side of injection pump, you loosen them and pump to get "solid" fuel. Tighten all vents and pump some more. Then try a start.

Most likely you have air in your fuel lines. A simple test is to set the throttle at wide open then try to start the engine. That puts maximum fuel through the system and should clear air from the engine in a few seconds of cranking (turning over). If the engine starts, be sure to turn the throttle down immediately. If it doesn't start or at least fire in 15 seconds, you will need to bleed the fuel system. Before doing any of the above inspect the fuel system for leaks and fix any you find.

Sounds like air in the fuel line presuming it hasn't been shut off. Prime the engine. Mine has a "thumb" pump to accomplish that.

I would go through the entire fuel bleed procedure in the manual to make sure you have good fuel to the injectors. You may have a failed fuel stop solenoid. The solenoid could have failed to open. The first little start may just have been what was in the lines from the solenoid forward. I have replaced two start solenoids on a 1989 6BT5.9M 210 HP.

Also make sure the wire going to the stop solenoid did not shake off. Seen that more than once. On the back bottom of inj pump.

Ah Yes, Thank You Ski....Your crank ..start ...stall post ...should be a sticky ! Lol Drives me nuts some times.

Back
Top Bottom