Heating system for a 1979 34 CHB Tri Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyeck

I purchased a 34' CHB today. it does not have the cabin heater. I was wondering if anybody had any information on what type a system that should be there. Model, #, BTU's etc.

I liven in the pacific northwest and i feel it is the first thing to be put on.

Thank You,

heaters

webesto or espar work well, I have an 1990 espar that needed some work when I bought the boat but works well now. Mine is forced air, I believe they are less cost but alot of people are happier with the hydronic systems as they are quieter and can also double for hot water. Higher cost but more bang for the buck. I also have a seaward(?) heater box that works off engine heat while under way but no use while on the hook.

I have a Webasto forced air system on one boat. It works great. On the other boat I have a Dickinson Newport propane heater. It works well, but would be challenged to heat more than the main cabin on your boat. I like the ambiance of the visible flame though. The propane heater was less than 1/3 the cost of the Webasto.

Welcome, wyeck!

Heater- If you're looking for an OE replacement, I can't help you there. If you choose to install you own, it's another thing. I'm a big fan of the Wallas forced air systems.

Unlike the Webasto and Eapar, the Wallas has 2 outlets, so multiple zones are easy to setup. Also, it's quiet and all inclusive- run power and fuel to the unit, plug in the control unit, hook up the ducting and you're in business. No external fuel pumps or multiple wiring to set up.

I purchased a 34' CHB today. it does not have the cabin heater. I was wondering if anybody had any information on what type a system that should be there.

The installation of heating systems requires conduits and ports around the boat, so unless you're writing a check, better as a winter project ready just in time for high summer..

In the interim I would get an oil (not radiance or fan) heater, as winter is upon us and you'll need to leave it running on low when you're not there, to fight the dew point and possibly freezing weather.

Keep it in the down low for convection, I just got one with a remote thermostat for $87 at CDN Tire. I have an exotic German Eberspacher diesel air-forcer but it is noisy when blowing, and I do pay $50/mo for shore power. So...

Last edited:
Welcome, wyeck!

Heater- If you're looking for an OE replacement, I can't help you there. If you choose to install you own, it's another thing. I'm a big fan of the Wallas forced air systems.

Unlike the Webasto and Eapar, the Wallas has 2 outlets, so multiple zones are easy to setup. Also, it's quiet and all inclusive- run power and fuel to the unit, plug in the control unit, hook up the ducting and you're in business. No external fuel pumps or multiple wiring to set up.

I've been very happy with our Wallas furnaces as well!

I love the quiet!

We used to heat ours when north with kerosene heaters. We had a smaller one that was inadequate then opted for larger. The smaller one was cylindrical and about 8" across and 3' tall. It wasn't quite enough when we were up in Nova Scotia. (We headed south which is the ideal solution to cold weather.)

We bought a shorter, wider kero heater next. The "set off" area (you can't put it close to the wall) was solved via a piece of board the unit was bolted to. Octagon shaped, it gave a wider base (more stability) and allowed us to shove it into corners. The top also made coffee if we weren't rocking too badly.

Have I mentioned heading south?!?

Of course with kerosene heaters you have to leave a window cracked and humidity is a problem. Plus smell -- some folks can't tolerate the odor though there are now additives to cut down the smell.

AND most important of all: congratulations on your new boat. It's a wonderful life. Enjoy!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom