Island Gypsy News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am currently looking to purchase an IG32 1984 with a Lehman 120. Where can I find a pdf of the owner's manuals or even some brochures of the boat from that time to see what was the original equipment it came with? I have search the Internet and sent an email to Australia from their website but no answer yet.

What address in Australia did you email? The only person who might be able to help is Mark Halvorsen, IG no longer operates as such.
Manuals do come with the boats, but getting replacements or copies could be a big ask. Perhaps someone could copy theirs, wait and see who else responds.

I have an owner's manual for our 2001 IG32. Frankly, its not very informative, although not completely useless. The manuals for the specific equipment installed on the boat, much of which equipment was added to the boat after the owner's manual was printed, is much more useful. Still it's nice to have the owner's manual as it's part of the "provenance".

If you have it as a pdf my email is pisern@yahoo.com. Every little bit helps, it is a start and I really appreciate it. Do you have the marketing brochure or promotional material for the IG 32? Thank you very much for help, time and attention.

I forgot to ask, in 2001 what engine was standard on the IG32? Approximately what year did they switch out from the Lehman?

If you have it as a pdf my email is pisern@yahoo.com. Every little bit helps, it is a start and I really appreciate it. Do you have the marketing brochure or promotional material for the IG 32? Thank you very much for help, time and attention.

Don't have it in .pdf form and I'm sorry but I'm not up to scanning the whole thing. Also, don't have any marketing brochure or promotional material.I do have a .pdf of a 1995 Powerboat Reports comparison of the IG32 and GB32 sent to me by Codger that you can see here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw...YWEzLWI3NDktM2JiMTQ5NzAzOGQ0/view?usp=sharing. I've also sent the link to you via email.

I forgot to ask, in 2001 what engine was standard on the IG32? Approximately what year did they switch out from the Lehman?

Our 2001 has a Cummins 6BTA 5.9 330. A friend who just sold his 2000 had a Cummins 6BT 220. Don't know when the Lehman was phased out.

dwhatty

If you post the manual in a PDF format I will download. Do you have any old marketing brochures?

Thanks for your help and attention.

Hello all,
I hope its allowed to jump in here on a related topic within this thread. I currently am boatless (very painful) until my softball daughter graduates high school. Since my days with my beloved Canoe Cove 41 ended, I have become very smitten with the Island Gypsy 36 - both aft cabin and Europa models.

You have discussed the danger of the teak overlayed decks on some models and years but there seems to be a lack of consensus. I am left wondering if there is a period of years to be avoided or? In Jack Horner's review of the IG 36 in 2012 (BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Island Gypsy 36) he says, "Because the builder does not use a plywood or balsa wood core in the deck structure, water soaked and deteriorated deck cores, commonly associated with teak overlaid decks, should not be a problem."

Do you agree?

Thank you,
Erik Wood
Bainbridge Island, WA

My 1981 IG36 Europa, and I believe one other on TF, have foam sandwich cored decks. But I believe a 1982 3 cabin (aft cabin) model belonging to another TFer had the teak core. It seems deck construction varied between 36s. If it`s foam there should not be a problem, there was not for me with my deck rebuild, but if it`s a teak sandwich...watch out. You should be able to get a look at the uncovered side edge of the deck somewhere,it was visible at the edge around the aft lazarette where the hinged hatch doors attach.

Teak sandwich! I've heard of marine plywood in there but teak... anyway, thank you for the quick reply.

If anyone else know the "years to avoid" or dates they used teak in this capacity, it would be great to know.

Erik

Erik, I don`t think using foam or teak blocks was consistent, so identifying years is probably not possible. Though I`ve not seen it, I believe they used offcut teak pieces.
You need to assess each boat, by now a lot have had the decks "done", expect to see painted non slip f/g, fresh teak is expensive. I know.

Teak sandwich! I've heard of marine plywood in there but teak... anyway, thank you for the quick reply.

If anyone else know the "years to avoid" or dates they used teak in this capacity, it would be great to know.

Erik

Hello Eric,

Welcome aboard. Bruce is on the money, it did seem that there was no rhyme or reason regarding what core was used on the building of IG's. Bruce's & my boat are about one build year apart, his has foam & mine had hardwood blocks.

Sarawana's core was alas rotten to the ........ So I did a DIY replacement, a huge job. Replaced the original wooden hardwood teak blocks with Klegercell foam. I got a professional company to lay the teak deck(a man has to know his limitations). The deck is glued, no screws, and 7 years on good as gold.

The cost differential between using teak or laminated glass for the decking was about $2,500 from memory.We were keen to keep the old girl as original as possible and also teak is the best non slip material around(IMHO)

Rather than concentrating on trying to determine what material was used in certain build years I would suggest you look to the two great identifiers of dodgy decks, springy decks underfoot and water leaks, with all their tell tale signs.

You are right to lust after a IG, they are terrific boats. we in the IG club feel slightly sorry for all the non IG owners in TF :D......:hide:

Last edited:
Great information! I too align with that great philosopher, Clint Eastwood, and believe a man must know his limitations. :iagree:

Time to start my Island Gypsy file... thanks again! - ERIK

Erik, The IG36 is a nice boat,the 2 currently advertised on TF look very well priced by our standards, and fairly presented. They make a very comfortable cruiser, preferably in fair conditions. The build quality was good, but watch out for osmosis. If you find one without exposed timber windows(ie not under Europa walkways), that is a plus to avoid dealing with rot, I think later ones had metal windows.

I understand. Do you feel like that has been a big upside for the Europa model? In other words, it must be rare to change windows at all on the Europa... - Erik

The main cabin windows of the Europa are under cover, sides and aft, and the "windscreen" windows are largely protected by the FB overhang(non Europa too). The forward cabin(s) windows are fully exposed to weather. If the paint is breached, or a crack develops where the window joins the cabin side you are in for trouble. I had one window completely remade inside and out 4 years ago and the others checked, with one or 2 repairs,and all of them repainted. Now we are repairing 5 of them. It might better to bite the bullet and replace them all with custom aluminum windows.

I am slow on the uptake but starting to understand that the cabin upper is wood based and needs to be protected - with its Achilles heal being the windows. This sounds very much like the problem a friend had with a Roughwater 37 ( Roughwater Boats, Trawlers, Ed Monk, Monk Design,Boats, Cruisers, Puget Sound, Diesel Trawlers, Trawlers, Roughwater ) in that those boats had a bullet proof hull but the marine ply upper would get soft... I am sure this is a pretty common to lots of 70's and 80's trawlers.

Here I go again but do you know a year when the IG builder addressed this by either going to full glass or by upgrading stock windows? - Erik

Erik, the house sides are moulded fiberglass.I`ve seen them from the inside. The interior fit out incl windows is installed against the inner side. The " exterior walls" are not painted or gelcoated ply, though I think they may have been on some Taiwanese boats.
I don`t know when IG switched to metal windows. I`ve been told by someone who worked as a shipwright at the Halvorsen base at Bobbin Head there was a change, but I`ve not seen a boat so equipped. I know from boat adverts the IG36 was built into the mid 90s.

Our 2002 IG 32 has aluminum Windows. The cabin/house sides are a gel coated ply.

*** news flash ***

SeaHorse ll spotted at Catalina Island!

A good friend sent me this photo of my old boat at Catalina Island. She is now called True Blue but she will always be SeaHorse ll to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 149
Yep, Seahorse II was/is a fine example of the breed. Lovely boat.

Great that Seahorse is in good hands. Like the separate head and shower arrangement. I had Seahorse in mind when mentioning later Halvorsen branded boats.
David, interesting that later IGs have ply cabin walls,no doubt it is done well these days. You are indeed fortunate having aluminum windows!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 2002 IG 32 has aluminum Windows. The cabin/house sides are a gel coated ply.

I'm amazed a 2002 IG would have gel coated ply, I thought the modern boats were all glass.

David..... You are indeed fortunate having aluminum windows!

Except that the paint peels off of them. Redid the outside three years ago with proper prep, aluminum primer and compatible top coats and then 3M 4000 caulk. They are holding up well with no leaks (they didn't leak before but someone had caulked them with silicone :facepalm: that had mildewed badly. What a nasty job it was to remove all that silicone!). The insides of the frames are really flaking/peeling badly but they are low on my anal sphincter twitch list.

Except that the paint peels off of them. Redid the outside three years ago with proper prep, aluminum primer and compatible top coats and then 3M 4000 caulk. They are holding up well with no leaks.....
The occasional repaint sure beats periodical wood rot repairs, as well as paint.The post 2005 Clipper(MTs?) have s/steel windows, that`s even better.
I`m surprised too a late IG having ply house walls, especially when earlier Kong & Halvorsens had f/g. Had a good look at mine recently when fixing some water damage. Some PO had run a drill down the inner window drain copper tube to clean it, drill went through the side of the tube, instead of water draining to the outside it drained into the wood it passes through. You can guess the rest...

.... Some PO had run a drill down the inner window drain copper tube to clean it, drill went through the side of the tube, instead of water draining to the outside it drained into the wood it passes through. You can guess the rest...

I hate that story... like running nails across a chalkboard when I read it... :banghead: Knowing the history of your boat is arguably the most important part of maintenance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom