View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Teleflex Capilano steering issues

Our new to us Symbol 41 Sundeck has a bit of what I would call 'slow to respond' steering. To me the systems seems like steering my old 1967 Chevy Pickup (like the systems is missing a few teeth in the steering box). I have to turn the wheel about a quarter turn to get the boat to respond to the helm. I don't feel any difference in the helm pressure (if that is a good way to describe it). But, the boat is slow to respond and can cause a person to over steer. Especially if I have someone else on board do the steering for a while.

The last boat I had had a different system that was pressurized. This one does not have a pressurized system. Last night, I started to go through the system after work. It appears that all the lines are sealed, no leaks on the cylinder on the tiller connection or where the lines connect to any of the pumps, valve box. Tiller connection is solid to the fittings to the cylinder.

I took pictures of all the parts while digging around to find a manual on line. The only place I found one was stored on this sites Library. Even the manufacture did not have it on line...

The boat has Teleflex Capilano 250V Helm Pumps at both the flybridge and cabin stations. a Model 50 Uniflow Valve and a Model BA 175 X7-TM cylinder. All appear to be original to the boat from 1986. All look like new on the outside.

This weekend I will start by watching the tillers in the aft cabin (under the stateroom master bunk) to see if the cylinder is working properly when the helm is turned. And to see if there is a quarter turn on the helm to match the feeling I have before the cylinder moves. I will then check the fluid level on the upper helm pump.

I am thinking this is the place to start, but I am not sure if the symptom is caused by a fluid issue or the pumps need to be rebuilt. Or if the boat is just slow to respond to the rudders underway.

Anyone have any other thoughts as to a cause/solution? Thanks!
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote