I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skipperdude wrote:
Wasn't it enough just for the opportunity to be aboard such a fine vessel with a capt'n well seasoned.
* * * * The decision to take the boat out was made about 3:45PM. It gets dark at 5:00PM. Neither Al nor I had time to even think about what might be in the refer.

As far as the captain being well seasoned, I don't know about that. What I do know is that every time I take the boat out I learn something new. And I mean every time!

Walt:

Great to see that you are getting your mojo back. If you lose it again, please come back to this thread and consider the proposals expressed here.

If I make it down to San Diego, I will look you up.

Keith

koliver wrote:If I make it down to San Diego, I will look you up.
******** Keith:

******** Any time. I've met some really neat people from this forum and like Eric Henning said about a year ago...he considers TF to be his yacht club. I'm just now beginning to understand what he meant.
aww.gif

I hate my wife. She just made me buy a trawler. I'm cheap and wish I knew you were giving one away.
I could beat that boat of yours for 10 years before having to put any money in it.
I could always sell mine?
Your new friend-
Eeber

Eeber wrote:
I hate my wife. She just made me buy a trawler. I'm cheap and wish I knew you were giving one away.
I could beat that boat of yours for 10 years before having to put any money in it.
I could always sell mine?
Your new friend-
Eeber
*EEBER your my new hero! *I think you'll fit right in, epic first post. *Cheers Paul

From the looks of David's (dwhatty) avatar, retiement life is taking its toll on the boy. *Hanging around the yacht clubs and drinking beer all day can do this.
beer.gif
* *Alas, It is sad, but I have seen it before. *Few recover.

Moonstruck wrote:
From the looks of David's (dwhatty) avatar, retiement life is taking its toll on the boy. *Hanging around the yacht clubs and drinking beer all day can do this.
beer.gif
* *Alas, It is sad, but I have seen it before. *Few recover.
And to think I used to be a fairly normal old dog, even if I did have a few minor chemically induced problems back then.
download.spark

Walt,
Given the state of your refrigerator, it is readily apparent why you had lost your joy in boating! As disturbing as that refrigerator picture is, I find it equally disturbing that Al came to visit without his own personal emergency rations. Sure, he assumed things had not progressed to such a terrible state aboard Seahorse in the way of emergency libations, but still, I am suspect that he let himself depart so readily from standard operating procedures as they relate to personal emergency rations!*
smile.gif

Looks like you all had a great time. Note that, per the forum rules, any vessel contemplated herein to be a designated trawler forum yacht, must be personally inspected and sea trialed by a qualified TF Moderator. I can PM you my mailing address to which the plane tickets can be sent. I know you would not want to bypass this important inspection procedure so as to assure that Seahorse can be properly designated a TF Yacht.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Woodsong wrote:
Note that, per the forum rules, any vessel contemplated herein to be a designated trawler forum yacht, must be personally inspected and sea trialed by a qualified TF Moderator. I can PM you my mailing address to which the plane tickets can be sent.
* * * * :confused: I find it quite confusing to see my beloved SeaHorse being considered as a "Forum boat."* Isn't that the very thing I've been trying to avoid? Geez, I feel like the Federal Government is declaring my boat to be Eminent Domain. (Not really guys...I'm sure your all kidding. right?) :boo:

SeaHorse II wrote:Woodsong wrote:
Note that, per the forum rules, any vessel contemplated herein to be a designated trawler forum yacht, must be personally inspected and sea trialed by a qualified TF Moderator. I can PM you my mailing address to which the plane tickets can be sent.
* * * * :confused: I find it quite confusing to see my beloved SeaHorse being considered as a "Forum boat."* Isn't that the very thing I've been trying to avoid? Geez, I feel like the Federal Government is declaring my boat to be Eminent Domain. (Not really guys...I'm sure your all kidding. right?) :boo:

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Don't worry Walt, we'll still let you pay for the slip fees, insurance, maintenance, and fuel!!! *

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Update:

The process continues and all bids are closed. A decision on who gets the boat, (if I finally decide to donate it)* however, has been made and that party has been notified.

My final decision as to: keeping it, donating or selling is tabled until late spring.

I appreciate everyones PMs, e-mail, advice, etc. but the facts are these:

Since I first posted this thread (10/15/2011) I have put exactly 1.6 hours on the engine. (And some of that has been in the slip, idling in gear.)

I have a few offers from folks on the dock to sell but as to whether or not they are serious is yet to be determined. If I decide to sell, the above stated designated recipient has first refusal.

Attachments

• img_2105.jpg
    img_2105.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 75
SeaHorse II wrote:
Update:

The process continues and all bids are closed. A decision on who gets the boat, (if I finally decide to donate it)* however, has been made and that party has been notified.

My final decision as to: keeping it, donating or selling is tabled until late spring.

Since I first posted this thread (10/15/2011) I have put exactly 1.6 hours on the engine. (And some of that has been in the slip, idling in gear.)

I have a few offers from folks on the dock to sell but as to whether or not they are serious is yet to be determined. If I decide to sell, the above stated designated recipient has first refusal.
The latter two of your alternatives is saddening from my perspective. :cry:

SeaHorse II wrote:
Update:

good for you, i have to say i admire your determination to deal with this.

lot of folks would rather sit on their boat and be miserable and not face the fact that boating is no longer "fun" to them.

Walt I think my computer is broken???? Can you resend that notification. Thanks*
wink.gif

swampu wrote:
Walt I think my computer is broken???? Can you resend that notification. Thanks*
wink.gif
*I was thinking the same thing.*
no.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:
Update:

*You do of course understand*by taking this action you are required, under the terms of the TF forum, to post a new post*Seahorse*Avitar.

How about a photo of you in the bath with a captains hat on, a cigar in your mouth, and one of those toy plastic tugboats putting around.
ashamed.gif

Andy G wrote:*You do of course understand*by taking this action you are required, under the terms of the TF forum, to post a new post*Seahorse*Avitar.
How about a photo of you in the bath with a captains hat on, a cigar in your mouth, and one of those toy plastic tugboats putting around.
ashamed.gif
*Like this?

700-00044528w.jpg

FlyWright wrote:Andy G wrote:*You do of course understand*by taking this action you are required, under the terms of the TF forum, to post a new post*Seahorse*Avitar.
ashamed.gif
*Like this?

700-00044528w.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And he's even got dual controls.

Seriously I actually know what ails you.......

....You've become dissatisfied with lots of boats before.....

Go w the flow. .........Sell the boat and get another. It's what you do and need to keep doing it unless you can change the thing that keeps you in this pattern..
I took the time this morning to research what lead me to buying another boat. I re-read the thread on "I'm losing my desire For Boating" as was recommended today by Flywright. Eric Henning hit the nail right on the head when he wrote the above. I didn't quote his entire post, only the parts that hit home.

Thanks, Eric....you should have been a "Skrink!" :thumb:

This is an excellent thread on the maturation of boating relationships.

I have been aboard boats working for over 40 years. I have had some type of recreational boat (sail, skiff, sunfish, I/O, dinghy) for all these years. But, until I bought a trawler last year I didn't realize my Wife is not enamored with the slow trawler life. She actually prefers to be on a Jetski at 30 Kts.

So I had to come to grips with a solution. I plan to tow a jetski as our dinghy next season to keep her happy with the speed part, and Me happy with the comfort part.

It takes an open mind to adapt to the boat style you want (need) to make your life go 'round.

Good Luck with your next boat. Post Pics!

Walt,
Should have been a what?
I don't remember saying that but that's OK as I think you've already paid for your couch time.
I wonder if I can take my own advice. Or just keep on "trawl'in"?
Thanks for the compliment.

... I plan to tow a jetski as our dinghy next season to keep her happy with the speed part, and Me happy with the comfort part...

We have a couple other boaters at the marina who have made that jump - jetskis as dingys. They're fast, easy to maneuver, relatively easy to board and dismount from a swim step, and a heck of a lot more comfortable than sitting in an inflatable dingy with water sloshing over the tubes, messing with an outboard, my leg going to sleep because it's bent funny, and then I still haven't found an easy mounting system for the registration numbers. We don't need speed but we've been thinking of dumping the Zodiac for a jetski too.

I plan to tow a jetski as our dinghy next season to keep her happy with the speed part, and Me happy with the comfort part.

Keeping her happy is important. Make sure you read the Jetski manual about towing it. Some jetski designs will fill up with water under tow. Back when I had seadoos, I burned out the drive bearing one and towed it back with the other one. When we got back to the dock, it was riding low in the water, partially swamped.

It's hard to get the bicycle to shore on a jet ski.

You might have a hard time justifying a jetski at the free dinghy dock (even if you say it's your "dinghy").

Walt--- I wonder if part of this issue is that there aren't that many places to go in SoCal. What if you moved the boat to the PNW and then came up here periodically to use it. You have family in Kirkland so you have more of a reason than just boating to come up here. There are a number of boats in our marina, for example, that are "home ported" in Montana, Nevada, Utah, etc. Their owners come out periodically, take a cruise, then go home for awhile.

You say you've spent time SE Alaska but not in northern Puget Sound and BC. There's a lifetime of boating in this area alone. We've had our boat 13 years so far and have not yet even remotely gotten tired of boating in this area, even if we go to a destination we've been to dozens of times before.

So call Associated Boat Transport Home and get a quote for hauling your boat from SoCal to Puget Sound.* That's how we got our GB up here, although it came from Alameda.

We normally discourage boaters from coming to this state but I think in your case we can make an exception:)

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 15th of October 2011 08:08:50 PM
Beautiful photos above which represent beautiful boating waters. I also know you have beautiful cruising yachts up there. I'm new to this forum. Can someone tell me about the seasons and is winter boating really realistic? That's how much I know about the PNW. Also, in the back of my mind is my despair with the thought of living in a cloudy, rainy. depression with the daily threat of rain. Another unknown to me is cost. I see your housing prices and wonder if an east coast guy could afford to live there due to the greater expenses for food, fuel, etc. Anyone want to enlighten me?

I've decided that when the time comes (and I have no time table on that) I am going to give her, lock stock and barrel to a deserving owner that will cruise her, keep her in excellent repair & write me once in awhile so I can share her adventures, vicariously.

A decision on who gets the boat, (if I finally decide to donate it)* however, has been made and that party has been notified.

Yawn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom