Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 8 years ago My wife and I were on a Lindblad Expedition in SE Alaska. There was a school teacher (about 50 years old) who had paid for a round trip ticket & had been on board for about 3 weeks. One day, as we were anchored, she told the skipper she wanted to take a swim. He obliged and they went off in a Zodiac to the base of the granite mountain (in our anchorage) that had baked in the sun all day. Dressed in a regular bathing suite, she dove in and paddled around for quite a while. Staying close to the granite mountain (not more than 10-15' away) she said the water was "quite nice" and the swim was very enjoyable. Although I really wanted to prove/disprove this statement, I never mustered up the guts to try it. Since that cruise, I have learned that this is not such a big secret. That is to say that, yes indeed, you can swim in the relatively warm water close to a "sun baked granite mountain."*
worship.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:55:37 PM

You learn something everyday!!!!!

Walt is telling you about diurnal warmth. dependent on a larger rock will get you warmth only where there are large rocks to be warmed, then immersed. That is not what Pendrell has.

Pendrell has genuinely warm water every summer, hence its attraction. The warmth comes from a relative lack of stirring up of the colder water that is deeper. It is like a lake, in that the water flows in and out of a relatively small inlet. To add to the preservation of warmth, the Desolation Sound area is approximately equidistant from each of the access points to the colder Pacific Ocean water, around the south end of Vancouver Island and around the north end. So the water in Desolation Sound generally just goes up and down with the tides, while the water northwest through any of the passes moves long distances at considerable speed, getting mixed with the cold Pacific water, as does the water in the Gulf Islands or around Victoria.

Generally, Desolation Sound reaches 70 deg F every year, and Pendrell 75 degrees (that's 21 and 24 degrees C). We had the water colour in Pendrell change to crystal clear blue, resembling the Caribbean one very warm summer, as the plankton that thrive in cold waters, and give it that dark greenish colour, all retreated to depths where it was colder, or something, in 75 to 80 (24 to 27 C) water.

I own a wetsuit, but have never had to put it on in the Desolation area in the summer.
I have been in the water at Cabo, and found it was colder.

Did I mention we have the best cruising area in the world?

koliver wrote:

Hey, knock it off.* You want all these bozos coming up here expecting great cruising?* You know they'll be disappointed because they won't see squat through the fog, rain, snow, hail, volcanic ash, traffic emissions, smoke and steam from the pulp mills, and diesel exhaust from the trains, and they'll most likely lose a limb or two from gangrenous*rabid otter and orca bites.* So they'll be pissed and they'll come after you for misleading them.

Better to be totally honest.**A picture is worth a thousand words.* This*is a photo of boating in this area 99.999 percent of the time.* Taken by a guest on our boat during a run through the "best cruising area in the world."

Attachments

• fog.jpg
    fog.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 99
Marin wrote:

koliver wrote:

Hey, knock it off.* You want all these bozos coming up here expecting great cruising?* You know they'll be disappointed because they won't see squat through the fog, rain, snow, hail, volcanic ash, traffic emissions, smoke and steam from the pulp mills, and diesel exhaust from the trains, and they'll most likely lose a limb or two from gangrenous*rabid otter and orca bites.* So they'll be pissed and they'll come after you for misleading them.

Better to be totally honest.**A picture is worth a thousand words.* This*is a photo of boating in this area 99.999 percent of the time.* Taken by a guest on our boat during a run through the "best cruising area in the world."

You guys are like Moses when God gave him a glimpse of heaven.* Every now and then you get a glimpse.
smile.gif

Moonstruck wrote:

You guys are like Moses when God gave him a glimpse of heaven.* Every now and then you get a glimpse.
smile.gif
You got it.* That's boating in the PNW.* Lots of tiny glimpses.* Radar is your friend.

Marin wrote:

*You want all these bozos coming up here expecting great cruising?* You know they'll be disappointed because they won't see squat through the fog, rain, snow, hail, volcanic ash, traffic emissions, smoke and steam from the pulp mills, and diesel exhaust from the trains, and they'll most likely lose a limb or two from gangrenous*rabid otter and orca bites.*
Lies, lies, lies!

I've cruised (via cruise ship)*Alaskan waters five times (30 days cumulative during summer months).* Only ran into fog once; that was*off the entrance to Tracy Arm*-- Endicott Arm, the year before this photo (looking north)*was taken of the islands at the entrance.

232323232%7Ffp538%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B894336nu0mrj

The cruise ships have huge projection screens around them on which they project idylic scenes that make you feel you are cruising through beautiful country.* The projectors are in the funnel.* That shot you posted--- you didn't know it at the time but you actually shot it off the screen.* In fact I have it on good authority it's*a location on the south island of New Zealand. I'm betting that PeterB knows exactly where it is.* Shots from New Zealand are often used to illustrate what the PNW looks like since the two regions are very similar in geography.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 20th of January 2011 08:26:47 PM

Marin wrote:

The cruise ships have huge projection screens around them on which they project idylic scenes that make you feel you are cruising through beautiful country.* The projectors are in the funnel.* That shot you posted--- you didn't know it at the time but you actually shot it off the screen.* In fact I have it on good authority it's*a location on the south island of New Zealand. I'm betting that PeterB knows exactly where it is.* Shots from New Zealand are often used to illustrate what the PNW looks like since the two regions are very similar in geography.

What Marin says about the video projection on the cruise ship windows is true. They rarely let you see all the horrible sights. Especially the lead smelters, chemical plants, whaling stations, and seal harvests. The only reason we stay is that we can't afford to leave.

Marin wrote:

Yes, sorry Mark, but that's gotta be Dusky Sound, Fiordland, NZ*all right.
Hey, these forward raked windscreens are growing on me - I'm sure I'm seeing better now..........

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:04:41 AM

Peter B wrote:

Marin wrote:

Hey, these forward raked windscreens are growing on me - I'm sure I'm seeing better now..........
-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:04:41 AMPeterI thought the windows were all glam, and had no practical benefits, but now that you mention it, *I'm getting *interested. Have you any idea what it would cost me to convert? I'm even wondering what a 56' British Canal Boat might look like with Wannabe Windows. Any ideas Hustler?

Peter B wrote:

You could be right.* It was mostly a dream-like, mystical*experience.

232323232%7Ffp53832%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B895336nu0mrj

Carey wrote:

I'm even wondering what a 56' British Canal Boat might look like with Wannabe Windows. Any ideas Hustler?
Here's the only photo I have on this computer of the front end of a recreational narrowboat.* You'll have to mask around my friend up front and Bess, the Border Collie.* And you'll need to retain doors in the front--- it's the only way in and out of the forward half of the boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:39:35 AM

Attachments

• 54-willow-15.jpg
    54-willow-15.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 99
Marin wrote:

Carey wrote:

I'm even wondering what a 56' British Canal Boat might look like with Wannabe Windows. Any ideas Hustler?
Here's the only photo I have on this computer of the front end of a recreational narrowboat.* You'll have to mask around my friend up front and Bess, the Border Collie.* And you'll need to retain doors in the front--- it's the only way in and out of the forward half of the boat.
-- Edited by Marin on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:39:35 AM
smile.gif

Sorry Marin.* Carried away by a few great days in the middle of our usual rain, overcast, foggy cold miserable climate.* I am writing this from Saltspring, in the drizzle and low ceiling.* the picture above is of one of the best days here.* Today is too dim for photography.

Attachments

• 1378085-r1-021-9..jpg
    1378085-r1-021-9..jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 92
Here is a perfect anchorage. Bottleneck Inlet on the NE side of Finlayson Channel 7 or 8 miles north east of Klemtu. Very narrow entrance w 1 fathom at low tide but extremely good protection. Entrance is hard to find. Anchor in 6 to 8 fathoms. Plenty of room for about 6 boats. Very calm and quiet. The other boat in the 1st pic is another Willard (40).

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 21st of January 2011 11:11:26 PM

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 174.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 174.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 105
  • all to 12-15-09 175.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 175.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 109
Eric,
I must confess, that anchorage DOES look just about perfect! Beautiful.

Bottleneck Inlet - one of my favorites!

Woodsong wrote:

Eric,
I must confess, that anchorage DOES look just about perfect! Beautiful.
Tony, don't be fooled by the projection screen images.

Here's another anchorage that's perfect in some ways and quite imperfect in others. It has a very large area that's about 20' deep and that's very unusual here. I've heard that it's not unusal to blow in here too but the bottom affords good holding in very thick, stinky and black mud. But there's such a huge area the wind can howel and the anchor can even drag a considerable distance and not to worry. I'd anchor in here in a blow again but usually I'll avoid that awful mud. First pic is on approach. Second is of the bay at large and the 3rd is after anchoring w all 325' of rode out and even more space to windward than downwind (shown). This is Calder Bay just west of Dry Pass inside of Shakan Bay on the NW coast of Prince of Wales Island.

Attachments

• sth71196.jpg
    sth71196.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 104
  • sth71197.jpg
    sth71197.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 107
  • sth71198.jpg
    sth71198.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 101
Eric:

Last summer we caught Bottleneck just after a rain*cloud passed overhead.
I thought you and Richard might appreciate these:

img_38759_0_bff5b70750d3a4d8ddbf4253e90e758a.jpg

img_38759_1_5366e376453205a6bed9db1c49dfe9a5.jpg

img_38759_2_39f5d83ef8baf8a53e9e41ad8fec3f83.jpg

img_38759_3_a89b1f9908aebcca5500c0f1421518aa.jpg

A paddle up the creek is a nice treat, too

OS*

OS,
Thanks. We get lots of rainbows here on Prince of Wales Island.

While I normally prefer to have a private anchorage, it is very rare to have the anchorage at Chatterbox Falls, Princess Louisa to oneself.* To my minds eye, it still is the most perfect of anchorages. This is my desktop wallpaper at the office....the count down to vacation is on!*

img_38821_0_97c0273f9cf34001d4cf042e43d8fb35.jpg

-- Edited by Killick on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 12:05:28 AM

Killick,
Your picture is STUNNING. As far as I'm concerned you get the prize for best anchorage picture. I just wish I could click it and make it full screen on my 27" i-Mac. Rich colors w the perfect amount of contrast. I also regret that I never made it to Chatterbox Falls when we were down south. I always wanted to go in the winter. Can you edit and re-post it as a clickable thumbnail? I wonder if that would work anyway.

I agree that*anchorage wins hands down.* Breath taking Spot!

Eric:

"I always wanted to go in the winter ..."

The fresh water runoff from Chatterbox Falls can freeze to a depth of 2-3 inches, and that will keep you over a mile away from the floats and the falls, and scrambling to get a mooring buoy at McDonald Bay.**The locals*planned New Year's Party at Princess Louisa is cancelled about every other year.*
no.gif

OS

nomadwilly wrote:

Killick,
Your picture is STUNNING. As far as I'm concerned you get the prize for best anchorage picture. I just wish I could click it and make it full screen on my 27" i-Mac. Rich colors w the perfect amount of contrast. I also regret that I never made it to Chatterbox Falls when we were down south. I always wanted to go in the winter. Can you edit and re-post it as a clickable thumbnail? I wonder if that would work anyway.
Thanks - you are both too kind!* The camera did all the magic...all I did was point & click.* Digital SLR's are amazing.* Chatterbox Falls is best viewed in the spring with the run-off in full flow...thie was taken in early May and already the falls had started to moderate.

I'll try to repost a link to the full format pic - it is uploaded to photobucket.* If it doesn't work, I'd be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.* It makes a great wallpaper!* ps....it's just under 5mb.* Thanks, Alisa

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/adenduyf/PrincessLouisaanchorage.jpg

Killick wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

Killick,
Thanks - you are both too kind!* The camera did all the magic...all I did was point & click.* Digital SLR's are amazing.* Chatterbox Falls is best viewed in the spring with the run-off in full flow...thie was taken in early May and already the falls had started to moderate.

I'll try to repost a link to the full format pic - it is uploaded to photobucket.* If it doesn't work, I'd be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.* It makes a great wallpaper!* ps....it's just under 5mb.* Thanks, Alisa

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/adenduyf/PrincessLouisaanchorage.jpg

********* Alisa,* Please e-mail a copy of this image to islandgypsy32@yahoo.com** Thanks JohnP

My idea of a perfect anchorage.*

I think I've spent too much time in the sun!

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 27th of January 2011 08:24:32 PM

Back
Top Bottom