Winter Refuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

Next winter, the admiral and I are thinking about taking the boat south for the winter. We keep the boat in Rock Hall, MD and have spent the past summers exploring the Chesapeake.
The idea is to take the boat south in late October and rent a slip somewhere in the Carolinas down to about Savannah.* The plan is to use the boat as a weekend getaway, perhaps visiting her 4 or 5 times.
We are still working, and feel, perhaps, that making our way to eastern Florida or the keys may be a little hard to reach with the limited time us working stiffs have available.
We would like a place to chill out, take out the kayaks or bikes, and maybe be able to enjoy a nice restaurant once in a while.
Any suggestions?

ChuckB wrote:

Next winter, the admiral and I are thinking about taking the boat south for the winter. We keep the boat in Rock Hall, MD and have spent the past summers exploring the Chesapeake.
The idea is to take the boat south in late October and rent a slip somewhere in the Carolinas down to about Savannah.* The plan is to use the boat as a weekend getaway, perhaps visiting her 4 or 5 times.
We are still working, and feel, perhaps, that making our way to eastern Florida or the keys may be a little hard to reach with the limited time us working stiffs have available.
We would like a place to chill out, take out the kayaks or bikes, and maybe be able to enjoy a nice restaurant once in a while.
Any suggestions?
Chuck, take a look at Shelter Cove Harbour on Broad CREEK at Hilton Head Island
ItS a great place for all the above* Not cheap* but a really great place

Hey Chuck!!* Lots of GREAT places in North Carolina!!*

New Bern NC at the New Bern Grand Marina - walking distance to dining
New Bern NC at Northwest Creek Marina, not walking distance but 8 miles to downtown New Bern and 20ish miles to Oriental NC. Great marina with really nice year round people.
Oriental NC at RiverDunes, Nice new marina, fancy bathrooms, nice clubhouse dining. and short drive to the town of Oriental.
Morehead City at the MC Yacht Basin....Walking distance to dining.
Carolina Beach NC at Joyner Marina, (our current home marina) walking distance to the beach- bike ride or short car ride to dining/shopping...15 miles to Wilmington proper for*dining and night life.

NC usually has year round boating...especially if you have an enclosed bridge!!*

Hiya,
** Mr. Chuck B.** GREAT idea.* You'd be able to boat or comfortably visit (limited to your vacation time) in the winter months.* The MAIN thing to keep in mind though is hurricanes and hurricane season.* Is the marina you choose considered a "hurricane hole" or will you have to make arrangements to have your boat moved/secured?
** You can lose an*awful lot of sleep just anticipating whether or not Hurricane ABC is going to drop on your boat or decide to bypass.
** I have visited several of the marinas mentioned by road and agree, they all are quite nice.* The "Low Country" has a beauty unto itself.
*** Just a thought...

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 06:34:41 PM

Chuck, here is a link to Shelter Cove** http://www.palmettodunes.com/hilton-head-island-marina.php

The whole island is accessible by bike paths, restaurants surround the harbor, kayaking in the marshes on Broad Creek is great, groceries & shopping near by, and they don't call it Shelter Cove for nothing.

I have been there for four extended stays and would go back again.* Tell Dave, Tom, or Pam that Don Moon on Moonstruck sent you.

RT Firefly wrote:The MAIN thing to keep in mind though is hurricanes and hurricane season.* Is the marina you choose considered a "hurricane hole" or will you have to make arrangements to have your boat moved/secured?
** -- Edited by RT Firefly on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 06:34:41 PM

*True enough, although we rarely get hurricanes during the winter months.* Hurricane season is June 1-Nov 30.*Peak Hurricane season for NC is*August through September.* Hurricanes in October and November rarely get close to us.**

*For the record, Northwest Creek Marina and River Dunes are both Hurricane holes.* I can't speak for River Dunes, But I can for NWC...there is no one I would trust more than that dock crew with my boat during a true blue hurricane and they do not make you move your boat out of the marina.

RT Firefly wrote:The MAIN thing to keep in mind though is hurricanes and hurricane season.* Is the marina you choose considered a "hurricane hole" or will you have to make arrangements to have your boat moved/secured?

Hurricanes in winter? Good one RT... Try and pay a little more attention next time ya' bigdummy.
smile.gif

Bess is right... And THAT is why NC is such a great option. Sure, there ARE some cold days,but boating and biking are great and all on a budget you can handle.

Southport, NC.

Plenty of cheap dockage, and the town is very nice.* Within reach from there are:
Oak Island
Wrightsville Beach
Bald Head Island
Lockwood's Folly River
Sunset Beach
Little River SC (don't go South of here unless you keep going to Georgetown)

Further away by two days or so at 8 knots:
Beaufort NC and Shackelford banks etc
Oriental
Washington, Chocowinity
and much more

I mention each of these places since they are all worth going to.* Good seafood is available if you ask around Southport, especially "Mr. P's" resturaunt, if you go off menu.

If you don't go south of Lake O' you are in southern Georgia or Alabama , NOT FLORIDA .

The keys is expensive , but many flights to MIA make it EZ.

There are also a number of places in the Bahamas with low (about $210) slips and good air connections.

Summers you need to come mid state to a Hurricane Hole or go north as your insurance co decides.

Hiya,
** Mr. Gonzo.* You're right if you define winter*as the coldest season of the year, usually December through February but if moving south to escape winter (cold weather) one could feasibly find themselves in the Carolina's in October or November (Mr. ChuckB DID mention late October).* Try and pay a little more attention next time Mr. Gonzo.

biggrin.gif

ChuckB wrote:The idea is to take the boat south in late October and rent a slip somewhere in the Carolinas down to about Savannah.* The plan is to use the boat as a weekend getaway, perhaps visiting her 4 or 5 times.
Any suggestions?

First, will you be driving or flying to your chosen location?* If driving, you will probably want to stay within a day's drive of home.* I retired to Charleston, SC from Frederick MD and it's a good day's drive to visit folks in MD.* I wouldn't want to drive any further.* If you will be flying, consider proximity to airports and flights from home to those airports.

In the Charleston area, you will find enough nice restaurants to keep you busy for a year or so.* As for the weather, if you can pick your weekends, you'll be fine.* Sometimes the temperatures are in the 60s or higher in January and February.* Sometimes in the 30s.

There are plenty of places to kayak.* As for bikes, as long as you can stay on biking trails you will be fine.* Biking on public roads around here is not something I would recommend.

rwidman wrote:In the Charleston area, you will find enough nice restaurants to keep you busy for a year or so.
I and my camera crew have been visiting Charleston on a somewhat regular basis to shoot our 787 manufacturing and assembly operations there.* A terrific restaurant we have found that's just a few blocks from our hotel is Hall's Chop House.* The owners have set the bar for customer service higher than any resaurant we've ever been in anywhere we've been on the planet.* Not an inexpensive restaurant by any means, but its not our money
smile.gif

ChuckB, I didn't catch if children re involved, but if so Sherter Coe is the way to go.* Access to the beach, activities, golf, tennis,* and restaurants everywhere.

I will second Charleston,SC.. What a great and charming little town!!!

Baker wrote:

I will second Charleston,SC.. What a great and charming little town!!!
smile.gif

Wow!* Is that paint new or do you polish it with something?

Where are my sun glasses?

Don,** What a beauty!!!* But, I am confused thought she had Pod drives?** Another*
****************************************Senior Moment.* JohnP

SeaHorse II wrote:

Wow!* Is that paint new or do you polish it with something?
Thanks, Walt.

Gelcoat polished professionally with 3M at a yard in St Petersburg. FL.* We will be heading back north in the spring to the Chesapeake.* Then either winter in Charleston or SE Florida with some trips to the islands.

I love Charleston, but it would be hard to beat Shelter Cove at Hilton Head for a getaway stay.* We love it both places.

Marin wrote:

rwidman wrote:In the Charleston area, you will find enough nice restaurants to keep you busy for a year or so.
I and my camera crew have been visiting Charleston on a somewhat regular basis to shoot our 787 manufacturing and assembly operations there.* A terrific restaurant we have found that's just a few blocks from our hotel is Hall's Chop House.* The owners have set the bar for customer service higher than any resaurant we've ever been in anywhere we've been on the planet.* Not an inexpensive restaurant by any means, but its not our money
smile.gif

Marin, did you think the Chop House beat Jake's in Portland?

Oops, hope I didn't offend Carey showing my black hull.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 20th of January 2011 04:09:10 PM

Thanks for the imput, guys.* We like the idea of Shelter Cove because we do have 3 daughters in their late 20's.* (Yes, we are new empty nesters), and we think that Hilton Head would be conducive to them spending some time on the boat.* Also, their so's would like the golf opportunity and they would like the beach.
I think we would also like Charleston.* However, what I have read about Charleston is that many of the anchorages are subject to heavy wind and tide action.* Can anyone recommend marinas that would be a pleasant place to spend some time?
Yikes, so many choices and so little time (and money).
By the way, we live about 10 hours from Hilton Head by car so we would hope to find reasonable air travel and connections.

Moonstruck wrote:

Marin, did you think the Chop House beat Jake's in Portland?
I've not eaten at Jake's so can't offer any comparison.* But Hall's is the best restaurant I think I've ever eaten in in terms of customer service.* We've eaten at lots of great restaurants around the world*and there have been plenty with more exotic or varied menus and fabulous preparation.* We recently ate at*seafood restaurants in Dubai and Abu Dhabi that were pretty mind-blowing.* But although *Hall's has a limited niche*menu I and my crew (who have been all over the world with me) cannot come up with a better overall*dining out experience.

JohnP wrote:

Don,** What a beauty!!!* But, I am confused thought she had Pod drives?** Another*
****************************************Senior Moment.* JohnP
John, No POD drives.* I am not sold on them, as I am a neanderthal.* She handles like a sports car so really no need.*

Thanks for the compliment.* She has been a great boat.* That was mainly put up to show her hailing port.* We cruise her all over, but still spend a good deal of time in SC.

ChuckB wrote:

Thanks for the imput, guys.* We like the idea of Shelter Cove because we do have 3 daughters in their late 20's.* (Yes, we are new empty nesters), and we think that Hilton Head would be conducive to them spending some time on the boat.* Also, their so's would like the golf opportunity and they would like the beach.
I think we would also like Charleston.* However, what I have read about Charleston is that many of the anchorages are subject to heavy wind and tide action.* Can anyone recommend marinas that would be a pleasant place to spend some time?
Yikes, so many choices and so little time (and money).
By the way, we live about 10 hours from Hilton Head by car so we would hope to find reasonable air travel and connections.
ChuckB, if you do settle on Shelter Cove ask for D, E, or F docks.* They will be more convenient for loading, restaurants, and to showers, etc.* Your daughters should like it as there are many places to go on the island.* Beaufort is about 30 miles away and makes for a great short cruise.* The Savannah waterfront is closer than that.* There are a few good anchorages.* Dafuskie Island is a short cruise----great golf course.* Rent a golf cart and tour all over the island.*

Marin wrote:

... *Hall's is the best restaurant I think I've ever eaten in in terms of customer service.*....
This little restaurant on the coast immediately south of Fort Bragg, CA has good fish dishes, and the best onion rings ever tasted!* The owner is a former fisherman/whaler.* The last U.S. whaling ship on the west coast is*docked not far away.

232323232%7Ffp537%3B%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28655336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp538%3B5%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C4%3A37573336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:46:30 AM

The Folks of Charlston are my kind of folk!

The local tax rats decided that having nice wide 'french" doors opening out on a covered porch to stay cool would cost $$$(Electric not invented yet).

The good folks of Charlston simply balon framed the walls 2 stories high.

Then they installed floor to ceiling "Gilotine windows" that slid up into the wall, on the floor above.

Voila , full sized window , no taxable doors!

You got to love anybody that is smarter than the tax man.

FF wrote:

The Folks of Charlston are my kind of folk!

The local tax rats decided that having nice wide 'french" doors opening out on a covered porch to stay cool would cost $$$(Electric not invented yet).

The good folks of Charlston simply balon framed the walls 2 stories high.

Then they installed floor to ceiling "Gilotine windows" that slid up into the wall, on the floor above.

Voila , full sized window , no taxable doors!

You got to love anybody that is smarter than the tax man.
They also saved taxe by narrowing the fronts of their homes by turning the ends to the street.* They placed private piazzas to the side and turned a negative to an asset--------the beautiful Charleston gardens & court yards.* I developed a whole community of these style homes and lived in one.

This was my patio.* It is amazing how things can turn out when you save taxes.

Attachments

• court yard p1010023.jpg
    court yard p1010023.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom