question: putting a different name on transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
When I got my Marine Trader 38, one of the things on my to-do list was to change the name of the boat. The documentation sent into the Coast Guard had the new name, but the old name was still on the transom and side boards. Yesterday, I used a razor blade and acetone to remove the old name decals. But, as you would expect, you can still see where the old name was on the gelcoat. What grit sandpaper would you recommend, and should I use wet or dry sandpaper? I assume if I am gentle I will not have to re-gelcoat the transom?

Wet sand with 1200 or use compound to get rid of the ghosting. Over time there will be natural sun fading that should take care of the rest.

and don't forget the denaming / renaming ceremony!

I would not worry too much about it. I had a professional come out and wet sand and compound the area. He is one of the best in the area. You can still (barely)see where the old name is. It has faded over time. I would not worry too much about it.

I did the same with my boat this summer. I used Buff Magic twice and Pro Polish once with a good high speed buffer. When the new name goes on you don't notice any ghosting of the old name.

img_384912_0_9bda7a8aa29d16e167bf8a7df915a06a.jpg

img_384912_1_1a282cf5b5c3a68374dcdb9952ef3d02.jpg

Here is the old name on the transom.

img_384912_2_5a85d554da31b1badd19742df0745972.jpg

Wet sand the raised gelcoat down if you have enough gelcoat. . .

Funny enough, on the transom of my sailboat, you can see the three previous names and hailing ports of my boat in the right light :facepalm:

If you have the adhesive off don't worry about the fading. It will all equal out over time. If you want perfection, then have the transom buffed. Usually time will make the 'new name' stand out for little or no cost. If money is no object, then have the transom redone by a yard. It's difficult to have the gelcoat matched perfectly. When gelcoat is 'matched' it still fades at different rates, since the repair is more recent (and thus has more gelcoat to fade) and it all fades at different rates. One competent gelcoat repair guy I know like to say: "I can match any gelcoat out there..... but in 6 months they will look different because of the rates of fade". This is why when repairs are done in a certain area they become noticeable as opposed to one on a whole side or transom that has been repaired.

If it's within your means treat yourself with a quality lettering job and hire a qualified sign person to design and either paint, leaf or vinyl your name. Nothing gets under my skin as much as seeing a gorgeous boat where the owner either cheaped-out or didn't give a second thoght to the esthetics.
Then again I'm a bit biased being in the trade myself ;-)

I used to run a steel passenger boat, the name of which had been cut at the builder's yard, letter by letter, from 1/8" steel plate and welded to the both sides of the bow and across the stern. The subsequent owners fancied a different name, and apparently believed changing it would be no big deal. When they discovered what they were up against, the wailing was loud and long.

On fiberglass hulls, I agree with the others - time heals all name changes. Also agree with Bacchus - the rites and sacraments should be scrupulously observed. Just avoid red wine on white fiberglass.

Back
Top Bottom