Keeping motivation high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never look at jobs on board as "work." I look at every task as a physical workout. Crawling around the engine room, struggling with a recalcitrant bolt, waxing, sanding, stretching over the starboard engine to reach the oil filter I keep promising to remote to the other side is all a physical challenge. I'm 73 and I can still wrestle a wrench (and a wench) with the best of them because I keep at it. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!! No whining!

an 'old timer' gave me a couple of hints a few months ago.

1. Never start a new project in the afternoon.
2. Stop work at 4pm, shower & enjoy sundowners.

I love listening to these older guys,,, they've been there, done that,,, they are so right!
Julie and I are enjoying our projects/maintenance much more because of these two simple rules.

here's some project & maintenance tasks we've completed. :thumb:

projects
maintenance

Part of the problem is successful work vanishes!

RE-did a set of steps , after the second day of completion , they "were always that way" .

Same for all the other little projects , they are taken for granted , instantly.

By cruising you get the joy of the completed task, daily.

How to stay motivated? Good question. On Tuesday, I'm taking the day off to go up to Bellingham to move the boat we keep up there to the Travelift for it's third haulout in the continuing effort to find and fix a problem with the starboard packing gland. This sort of thing can get discouraging and cause one to start thinking that maybe boating isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

At the same time this has been going on I had a major shoot to direcct with some of the Seattle Seahawks and a new 747-8F, a project with a ton of cost and pressure attached to it. It's been a good lesson in how challenges that aren't too difficult to deal with individually can combine to create a very stressful and, in the case of the boat, somewhat depressing situation.

The hardest thing for me--- be it working on one of our boats, vehicles, the house, you name it--- is not the work itself but thinking about the work before I start. The "I have to do this and get that stuff together and crawl underneath this and I just don't feel like doing all that again" thing.

But one thing I've learned over a bunch of years is that no matter how intimidating or worrysome or I-just-don't-want-to-do-it an upcoming project seems--- be it a film shoot or a boat project or changing the oil in a vehicle--- you just start in and then you're doing it and then it's done even though "being done" seemed an impossibly long way off before you started.

When we bought our old cabin cruiser it had (and still has) a number of things that needed doing to it, most of them cosmetic. And right after we got the boat to Bellngham a number of challenges we'd never encountered before as we were new to this kind of boating cropped up. It was easy to wonder if we'd bitten off way more than we could chew.

The shipwright who at the time was the lead maintenance person on the big Grand Banks charter fleet in the harbor gave us a great piece of advice which we have fairly successfully adhered to during the last 17 years. And that is don't let all the jobs that have to be done get you down. Don't try to do everything at once; it will just get you frustrated and you'll end up hating the boat. Pick one job, do it to completion, then pick anohter job, do that one to completion, and so on. And don't fret about the other jobs while you're working on the one you've selected to do.

I was inspired to move to this area from Hawaii whild riding the Queen of Prince Rupert from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island at the end of a six-week vacation to the Yukon with a friend. I'd shipped my Land Rover from Hawaii to the mainland for the trip and would be shipping it back at the end of the trip.

I had never seen the Inside Passage before and it completely blew me away as I watched the mountains and glaciers and waterfalls go past. It was while standing on the aft deck of that ferry that I decided this was where I wanted to live the rest of my life.

Two years later I made the move and immediately set about exploring the whole region, intially by floatplane and later adding boats. Being out on (or over) the water here is why I made the move in the first place. Working on our boats is what allows us to do what we want to do.

While it doesn't make crawling around in the engine room of our cabin cruiser changing 24 quarts of oil any more delightful of a task, and while hauling our boat three times in a row to deal with a problem is a pain in the ass, it's what it takes to let us contnue doing what brought me here in the first place 35 years ago.

So we do it and when it's done and we're out in the islands somewhere the work it took to let us do this becomes pretty insignificant by comparison.

Last edited:
"How do you stay motivated?"

As many others here I'm also basically a DIY boat owner not so much for the frugality but for the satisfaction!
Like GoneFarrell my background is Project Mgmt so I can relate strongly to his suggestions
so my words of wisdom...

• Have a plan - at least a rough one and prioritize
  • Plan time to have fun & enjoy the boat - work half days - every other wkend - only May - June - what ever works for you & yours but set aside fun or relax time
  • Completions are motivators - a chance to celebrate & show them off
  • Team work helps - some jobs are better done w/ a helping hand - don't be afraid to ask a friend to help and then repay them by assisting when they need help - everybody gets a break and satisfaction of helping others - not to mention the ability to take advantage of others skill set and learn

I've tried to remember to document my projects as a way to share - mine are on a "Bacchus" website along with some other boat / cruising related stuff.. just another way to show off what you've done and get some satisfaction - this is largely an off-season task that doesn't interfere with getting the work done and enjoying the boating season.

Last edited:
One job at a time and completing before moving to the next is mostly what I do.

One of the last big tasks for my boat was compounding the entire boat, and fortunately I knew my limitations. I had a guy do it on weekends, and was delighted with the results. But it then really highlighted the condition of the rails and failing Cetol. I was dreading doing all the rails again. Then I decided to just go out and anchor for a couple of days and start on just one section of railing. It went much quicker than I expected, and the following weekend I went out again to start finishing that section. Now there are lots of sections to do, but seeing one nearly finished is a great feeling and I cant wait to go anchor out again. Of course I could just do it at the dock, and indeed some coats are applied at the dock. But cruising somewhere first is making it much more pleasurable.

Project management background.

Identify projects, a continuous, on-going task.

Prioritize. Critical (can't use boat) vs. lower categories. Divide lower categories into smaller groups (routine maintenance/service, something very useful is broken or needs updating, something seldom used is broken or needs updating, something works fine but an update would be useful, etc.).

Fix "critical" first.

Use boat. Do maintenance/service when intervals mandate. Deal with other categories when time and inclination permits.

"Use boat" being the carrot.

-Chris

I watch this at least once a week knowing that it'll be me there one day!

https://youtu.be/yN80fPjeXxA

Same basic model as ours. We stretched ours 39" in the main cabin. They stretched theirs 24" in the forward cabin area.

It helps keeping the project interest high! :thumb:

I done the "refit" thing on previous boats and on the current one, am "making her mine". The big difference is being able to use the current boat between projects. Even a day cruise will bring back the dream of why we go through all the pain. So I suggest you get her "useable" first and then make her pretty and comfortable. We leave for Florida and beyond Monday. I have just cut a center hatch in the middle of the salon/saloon and will not be able to redo the flooring before we leave. I will take everything with me and do a little each day while we cruise. So if you hear a skill saw cruising by with a good looking lady at the helm, it is just me....living the dream.

+5:thumb:

The 747-8 is the newest version of the 747. It is larger than the previous models and has an all-new wing design as well as new-generation engines. It is quite popular as a freighter (747-8F) as there is no other airplane that can accomodate cargo loads as large.

The passenger version is the 747-8I (Intercontinental) and it is not selling well at all because it cannot effectively compete with the large twin-engine transports. It's anyone's guess how long the Intercontinental will survive as a product, but I suspect that even if it hangs on for another few years the 777X will kill it off for good once that plane enters service.

I know what it is. The only carrier I am aware of flying the 8I is LH. Haven't seen many freighters around, but then again I try to stay away from that side of the airport. What's the first flight date on the 777X?

I know what it is. The only carrier I am aware of flying the 8I is LH. Haven't seen many freighters around, but then again I try to stay away from that side of the airport. What's the first flight date on the 777X?

There are more operators using the 747-8I but not many.

Production of the 777-8 and-9 is intended to begin in 2017. So far as I know we have not released the projected dates for for first flight, first delivery, etc. to the general public.

Project management background.

Identify projects, a continuous, on-going task.

Fix "critical" first.-Chris

Gee Chris, I was hoping to leave critical path scheduling behind. Have managed multiple critical path schedules for about 40 years, it would be nice for it not to rule my life.:banghead:

Gee Chris, I was hoping to leave critical path scheduling behind. Have managed multiple critical path schedules for about 40 years, it would be nice for it not to rule my life.:banghead:

As I said, "Use Boat" is the carrot. My critical path is pretty short, everything else can be easily timed to coincide with shore days.

:)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom