What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscar

Guru
Vessel Name
Lady Kay V
Vessel Make
1978 Hatteras 53MY
Can someone tell me what I'm looking at here? Generator/watermaker combo is what I'm thinking, but I know I'm probably wrong....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 3.28.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 3.28.30 PM.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 265
Was the PO on dialysis?

Lol! OK, I don't have pictures of the mains (or is this one?) but it's a twin Lehman 120 tub. Is that what I'm looking at with who knows what mounted on top of it?

What you're looking at is a piece of crap.

As to what it does/did, looks like an engine driving an AC or DC armature.

Home made washing machine?

What, pray tell, is an AC or DC armature?

That's a 7.5kW Onan twin cyl diesel AC genset, MDJ series. AKA "bucket of rocks".

No water maker in sight.

I don't see anything other than an engine for a possible generator. The output end is not shown. Space saving was not a priority. I do not see any watermaker equipment. The heat exchanger and bronze pump are for the engine coolant. There is a seawater pump with cover removed down on the left.

I don't own this, just shopping..... some sales guy thought it was a good idea to add this visual to the promotional materials.......

It's the part of a generator that makes the electricity.

OK, I know what that looks like, and I guess that's the lower green part. So the top part is some type of combustion driven contraption?

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not poking and I'm not technically illiterate. I took my first 50cc apart when I was 15, and I've been wrenching ever since. It's just that this whole contraption looks kinda silly to me. I guess the photograph doesn't do it justice, or whomever cobbled it together was a Franken product.......:eek:

The biggest problem I have with it, I guess, is the +/- 4" diameter horizontal tube in the front of the white (engine?) part of it......

We have a 7.5 kw Onan MDJE in our boat and it doesn't look anything like that. Not saying the thing in the photo isn't an Onan generator, but it's not an MDJE.

Indeed there are. Seems some components may have been "relocated".

For my money I would suspect a constant overheating engine, and the PO added an extra heat exchanger to make up for the failing/undersized one. I saw this on an old work boat that was over propped. It didn't solve that problem either!

Or, they added a second cooling loop so NO seawater goes into engine cooling at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, doesn't look like my "bucket o rocks" but the heat exchanger could have been moved and the belt guard removed.

Kevin

So, you came upon this contraption and then torture us to explain it? So, there was no owner/local/agent that would explain it to you/us?!

So, you came upon this contraption and then torture us to explain it? So, there was no owner/local/agent that would explain it to you/us?!

This contraption was featured in a Yachtworld listing....... I am shopping. (Anyone interested in a 45 foot fifth wheel camper? :whistling:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom