Have you ever seen a Bad Elf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of mention on cruisersforum. I think they got popular when many iPad users discovered they didn't have GPS incorporated in their non-cellular tablets.

-Chris

As I understand it the accuracy of the GPS on the iPad is not that great so that's one of the reasons to use a Bad Elf in addition to the fact that the Bad Elf has a Glonass receiver.

All the iphones 4 or later have glonass as well as all ipads with built in cellular. You don't have to have the cellular enabled but the GPS is part of the cellular radio.

I have a Bad Elf and I've been using it for a couple of years with my non-GPS iPad. If I were doing it again I would have got an iPad with 4G/cell. We use the iPad with Garmin Bluecharts (excellent app!) and Drag Queen. Pairing the Bad Elf via Bluetooth can be intermittently hit or miss and I still haven't figured out why. Once it is paired and setup though it works flawlessly and accurately. Just one more thing to think about though.

I have used Bad Elf with iSailor for four years. It is wonderful, accurate and far less costly in Canada than getting the signal on 4G/Cell ipad. We also use it in the car on google maps. A wonderful device as it can be used standalone as well.

The GPS signal on a cellular Ipad is free even in Canada..., you don't need the cell sim card and connection to the network it is just that the GPS is part of the cell hardware. Bad Elf has a great reputation with some friends that just bought wifi Ipads

I've got the Bad Elf's competitor, a Garmin GLO, because the Bad Elf, was out of stock.

It works fine, but I think I would have preferred the Bad Elf.

But hey, it was a gift!

Which one is the bad elf?
8JC_5089_edit.jpg

I want to make sure I try the right one ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. That's the photo that came up when I clicked the link to see if this Bad Elf was something I should try out. Seriously, I didn't just pull that out of thin air.)

Last edited:
This one is the "Bad Elf".............sorry couldn't resist...:flowers:

Attachments

37.9 KB · Views: 300
Use one in the air and on the water. I've had up to 4 devices paired with it, on the water generally two phones and two ipads all running Navimatics and Drag Queen. One of the ipads is wifi only which was why we got the Elf. No issues or dislikes.

I've got one. Use it with an iPad and Navionics, backup for my plotter.

Capn Tom - If it will get me a Sea and Anchor detail like that, I'll buy two.

Which one is the bad elf?
8JC_5089_edit.jpg

I want to make sure I try the right one ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. That's the photo that came up when I clicked the link to see if this Bad Elf was something I should try out. Seriously, I didn't just pull that out of thin air.)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is what I see when I clicked on the link.

Did anyone else notice why the photo is bad yet funny? :facepalm::rofl:

Later,
Dan

Unless one of those is Caitlin Jenner, um, no?

The Nose Thing that stuck out to me popped out when I clicked on the link.

Marine - Bad Elf

The nose on the woman in the foreground lines up with the ear ring of the woman in the background.

It looks like the foreground woman has nice shinny jewelry hanging from her nose.

:eek::rofl:

Later,
Dan

I could work around that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom