View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #2625
SeaMaster101

City: World
Vessel Name: SeaWitch
Vessel Model: 47' Cheoy Lee SeaMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
That free hanging rudder seems not right to me. I'd prefer a the traditional shoe. Wonder what the reasoning was?

But as to the shape of the hull most trawlers should have come out of this mould. Perfect for many or even most but there are many that insist on the capability to go faster when the urge (note I didn't say need) arises. Too bad she is painted black so we could enjoy those very soft lines.

Most all wouldn't like the visability from the lower helm in the PNW and I wouldn't have her for that reason. She's in the same box as the Willard 36 sedan. But for those that rarely operate from the lower helm she's perfect. A boat among boats.
Eric,
Agree with the free hanging rudder statement for the PNW. Considering that this is a ocean crossing trawler, it's all about officiency. That's where free hanging rudder is better. I worried about that design in the beginning, but then I noticed that there is close to 10" lower hang on the keel comparing to the rudder. If you run over a log, don't slow down and the log will happily clear the rudder.
SeaMaster101 is offline   Reply With Quote