Nice little 55 for a second boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. :smitten:

incredible looking

Wifey B: Boats like that are like women. As you get closer and see everything some then look even better and some looked better from a distance. :D

I have a question though. If you buy a boat like that, what do you do with it? It just seems like something nice to look at but maintaining it's like a huge huge huge....humongously huge job. I'd think it would have to be owned by someone who basically spent all their time keeping it up. Maybe cruising a few miles, but not going to take it on a long cruise or cross oceans. If it was a vintage car you'd lock it up in a building and just let people look at it, maybe take it out and to shows once a year. You can't really do that with a wood boat.

Just like in cars there are large and active groups of enthusiasts that restore, maintain and yes, run these boats. There's boatloads (hah) of events, get togethers and rallies for classics. But yes, it takes dedication, time, an a well fed check book.

Just like in cars there are large and active groups of enthusiasts that restore, maintain and yes, run these boats. There's boatloads (hah) of events, get togethers and rallies for classics. But yes, it takes dedication, time, an a well fed check book.

Wifey B: Methinks it takes a classic boat aficionado, rather than a boater. Don't think you'd have time left for normal boating. But then I know, don't understand, but know, those who get more pleasure out of restoring boats than they do out of boating. I know a couple of guys who go from one old Post to another or one old Chris Craft to another and don't even have a boat that's operable most of the time. You really have to love it to do it.

Under cover, freshwater, and with the wooden boat skills in the PNW this wouldn't be too outrageous to maintain. Guessing that $2k per month might do it. Additional renovations though will be expensive.

Keith

I've seen Sea Dog pass through the cut and on Lake Union. Very nice indeed. Most likely piloted by a boater I suspect. It truly is amazing the number of beautiful wooden boats there are around here. Most owned by actual boaters, yachtsmen, and even seamen. Yes they are expensive.

Wooden Boat Festival | Northwest Maritime Center

Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building | Port Hadlock, Washington

Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-op boat repair, refit, restoration and new construction

The Center for Wooden Boats

I have seen and talked to, known a few, quite a few of old boat owners, like this Stephens, who cruise those boats, a lot.

Yes, a lot of work. Way beyond my abilities or interests but the folks use those boats. They also really never truly stop working on them, up the coast, at the dock, or on the cruise. Always some some small job being done. Their enjoyment comes from both sides, the cruising AND the work.

Of course many boats are not used as you suggest but do not just relegate all those old boats to being dock queens. Many, and I mean many, spend a LOT of time out somewhere.

Last edited:
That boat is a real beauty. I love the style, but perhaps I am a bit biased ;)

Moored next to a 60 some ft Huckins (?) that had even more teak. Absolutely gorgeous. Also met the woman who was paid 50 weeks a year to maintain the teak. Her sole responsibility was exterior teak, glass and stainless. The boat itself was poor in a seaway as the crew would not move her in greater than three foot seas.

Owner used the boat for entertaining both in Florida and Lake Michigan depending on the season. The on deck boxes for lines belonged in an art museum, the same for the cut glass in the doors.

Her sole responsibility was exterior teak, glass and stainless.

Right...... I'm glad that there are people that have the coin and the drive to keep these historical boats looking their best.....

As a retired service yard manager, if I saw this pull in all you would hear would be "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"!!!

Wifey B: Boats like that are like women. As you get closer and see everything some then look even better and some looked better from a distance. :D

I have a question though. If you buy a boat like that, what do you do with it? It just seems like something nice to look at but maintaining it's like a huge huge huge....humongously huge job. I'd think it would have to be owned by someone who basically spent all their time keeping it up. Maybe cruising a few miles, but not going to take it on a long cruise or cross oceans. If it was a vintage car you'd lock it up in a building and just let people look at it, maybe take it out and to shows once a year. You can't really do that with a wood boat.

Really? The pointy upper parts of the United States are chock full of people who own and use wooden boats.

I see boats like this go by every day in the summer.

There is even a publication dedicated to them.

It's called WoodenBoat.

Really? The pointy upper parts of the United States are chock full of people who own and use wooden boats.

I see boats like this go by every day in the summer.

There is even a publication dedicated to them.

It's called WoodenBoat.

Wifey B: Still a lot of work. And I know exceptions but most are staying fairly local in their cruising, not going long distances. Yes, I know there are publications. Dedicated I think more to restoring, building, maintaining and taking care of the boat than long cruises on the boat. I'm not faulting those who like them anymore than I fault those who like high maintenance women.....:D For the record, I'm not high maintenance.

Wifey B: Still a lot of work. And I know exceptions but most are staying fairly local in their cruising, not going long distances. Yes, I know there are publications. Dedicated I think more to restoring, building, maintaining and taking care of the boat than long cruises on the boat. I'm not faulting those who like them anymore than I fault those who like high maintenance women.....:D For the record, I'm not high maintenance.

If they are going by my house they are going a long distance :)

A quote semi-displacement hull ???

Indeed.
Top speed of 20 knots.

Look at the pics and see the one of the bow while underway. Probably the best example of (hey Mark) a "slicer". Now that's parting the sea in a most graceful and elegant manner. The hull is probably not too different from TDunn's boat. Most likely a straighter run aft.

Why not? That's the kind of boat wealthy persons acquired 80 years ago. Live a little, like actors and movie producers/directors did. Please keep up the tradition!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom