Pnw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously Marin's travel in SE Alaska missed the true remote and strikingly beautiful SE.

I suspect my wife and I have been to more remote areas in SE Alaska and in the neighboring BC Coast Range and interior than most people on this forum. Not by boat but by floatplane starting in the mid 1980s and continuing ever since. So I know very well what SE Alaska has to offer, probably more than most here.

It's great but the popular tourist destinations suck. Sorry, but they do in our opinions. An exception is Petersburg, made an exception because the big cruise ships physically cannot get in there.

By floatplane we prefer SE Alaska. By boat, we prefer the BC coast.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I was thinking that Marin knew what he was talking about, until I realized he left out the number one reason Americans will avoid the Gulf Islands. The use of used oil containers (dark blue preferred) as crab pot floats!

I realized he left out the number one reason Americans will avoid the Gulf Islands. The use of used oil containers (dark blue preferred) as crab pot floats!

Absolutely! That's a great one. I think we've been passing the same set of two blue jugs tied together on the way into Ganges for the past ten years or so.

Absolutely! That's a great one. I think we've been passing the same set of two blue jugs tied together on the way into Ganges for the past ten years or so.
Oh, those ones.
No crab trap.
An American wooden whistle maker's liveaboard is down there.

Last edited:
I have a suggestion that isn't the PNW or the ICW. Consider chartering in Maine on the US east coast. Why? While we don't have scenic mountains, what we do have is hundreds of islands both with quaint fishing villages and uninhabited. Many of the islands are in nature preserves and have trails you can walk. We don't have a lot of marinas, but we do have abundant rental moorings and hundreds of beautiful anchorages. Dining options range from eating on the boat while anchored/moored in a beautiful cove, through eating Maine lobster, steamed corn and blueberry pie while seated at a picnic table to fine dining. We also have a beautiful waterfront national Park (Acadia National Park) with free bus transportation from all of the nearby harbors.

The downside is that there are not a lot of places to charter a powerboat. The best is Bucks Harbor Marine (Buck's Harbor Marine Yacht Charters and Marina - Buck's Harbor Marine) which is right in the middle of the best cruising area. They mostly charter Grand Banks. There are quite a few places to charter a sailboat though. If you want to experience the coast but not worry about the piloting, you can always book a schooner cruise (Maine's Largest Windjammer Fleet: Maine Windjammer Association).

Yes, Maine is a sweet place to boat. Love the seafood and friendly folks. I much prefer the Maine islands to the Gulf Islands. My brother lives in Maine and I forgive him for being a blow boater. I also like their boats having owned a Duffy and a Newman.

If you want to be a tourist and avoid the tourists SW SE Alaska is the place to be. That's one of the reasons we moved to Prince of Wales Is.

Marin,
Petersburg is a small town and it dosn't take many tourists to swamp the town. Ther'e is even a small boat that comes to POW Is w 40 or so tourists that dump out on Craig once or twice a week. Many say in Alaska that there should be an open season on tourists. For many Alaskans (some don't deserve to be called that) the tourists are their ticket to live in Alaska.
Statistically for those that move to Alaska they stay for 5 years .. on average. So there's always lots of greenhorns and very few that stay for 10 or 15 years.

Last edited:
Marin, Why the dislike of Roche? It can be a nightmare, on wkends during summer season, but it has a lot to offer. The help at docks is very good, docks are good. Three eateries to choose from, a good grocery store. Locals selling their wares. Good walks ashore, some local history etc, anchoring good a short distance away in Garrison Bay. Ganges is great, but it can also be crowded in summer months. We usually anchor and shop then head to N end of Pender to spend the night.

I have a suggestion that isn't the PNW or the ICW. Consider chartering in Maine on the US east coast. Why? While we don't have scenic mountains, what we do have is hundreds of islands both with quaint fishing villages and uninhabited. Many of the islands are in nature preserves and have trails you can walk. We don't have a lot of marinas, but we do have abundant rental moorings and hundreds of beautiful anchorages. Dining options range from eating on the boat while anchored/moored in a beautiful cove, through eating Maine lobster, steamed corn and blueberry pie while seated at a picnic table to fine dining. We also have a beautiful waterfront national Park (Acadia National Park) with free bus transportation from all of the nearby harbors.

The downside is that there are not a lot of places to charter a powerboat. The best is Bucks Harbor Marine (Buck's Harbor Marine Yacht Charters and Marina - Buck's Harbor Marine) which is right in the middle of the best cruising area. They mostly charter Grand Banks. There are quite a few places to charter a sailboat though. If you want to experience the coast but not worry about the piloting, you can always book a schooner cruise (Maine's Largest Windjammer Fleet: Maine Windjammer Association).

Glad you raised this , we absolutely Luv Maine. My wife and I spent a month there, Martha's, Nantucket, Cape cod, Narraganset , Rockport, Bar Harbour, booth bay, and many other great places. Did not know there were Charter boats there very interesting.

Thanks and Cheers Chris D Liberty

Marin, Why the dislike of Roche?

With the exception of a masive harbor development in Doha, Qatar called "The Pearl," Roche Harbor is the most pretentious, look-down-your-nose place I've been on the planet.

I agree Marin.
I prefer Friday Harbor but won't go in there from May 1 to Sept 15.
The U.S. customs people in both are still awful.

With the exception of a masive harbor development in Doha, Qatar called "The Pearl," Roche Harbor is the most pretentious, look-down-your-nose place I've been on the planet.

I feel the same way about G dock.

You will find it very worthwhile to join "Active Captain" and it's companion Ap: "e-boat cards". Both are free and available for both Apple and Android devices. There are several user groups for the areas you are interested in. If you are already a member, send me a friend request on "e-boat cards" I've spent the last 34 years sailing and cruising the San Juans and Canadian Gulf islands, and just completed a 14 day shake down cruise to Desolation Sound in our new (to us) Helmsman 38 trawler. I believe these are among the finest cruising grounds in the world.

I forgot to mention it, but mid July to late August are by far the best times to cruise in the PNW. There are many weather windows outside that, but they cannot be predicted, and unless you live here, you can't take advantage of them. Given the expense involved in getting here, and the charter, I strongly recommend the July-August period. Warm sunny weather during that period is almost guaranteed. Out side of that, you could end up spending much of your precious vacation in the rain.

I agree with you about Roche Harbor. Reminds me of Sun Valley in that regard, but, right around the corner is Garrison Bay, which is very worth visiting. And if you need a bit of provisioning, its a pretty quick dinghy ride to Roche.

Sharp .. or anybody ..
What's there in Garrison Bay?
I've anchored in Nelson Bay (years ago) and don't know much of anything about just south of Roche Harbor.

As you leave Roche turn south, follow the channel just past Henry Island to Delacombie Point and turn east into Wescott Bay. About a 1/8 mile in Garrison Bay will open up to the south.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1446422005.404119.jpg

As far as Roche goes, maybe you reap what you sow!

Eric--- Garrison Bay is a pretty neat place. It is the site of English Camp, the British garrison headquarters during the so-called Pig War which ultimately resulted in the determination of the final border between Canada and US (a decision made by the German Kaiser). There is a restored blockhouse and couple of other buildings including the "formal" English garden that remain from the British occupation.

Anchoring is good in firm mud. There is a dinghy dock at the English Camp park.

Sharp .. or anybody ..
I've anchored in Nelson Bay (years ago) and don't know much of anything about just south of Roche Harbor.
You exit Roche Hbr on the west side. Enter "Mosquito Pass". Follow it almost to where it ends on West side of SJ Island. There is an entrance on the south side of the pass. It goes to " Westcott Bay". Before you actually get into Westcott, there is another entrance on South side of the channel. By water its not much over a mile from Roche. Shallow, quiet. great anchorage. State park, dinghy dock and the English Camp left over from when the English laid claim to the island. Old block house and many of the buildings still standing. The still fly the Union Jack during the summer.

Last edited:
Thanks all,
Nice to know there's a good anchorage there especially w the park and dinghy dock. Last time we came through we anchored in Fisherman's Bay. Mooring buoys everywhere. Hard to belive how they can turn a public domain into private facilities. Was going to Spencer Spit but thought about how big and protected Fisherman's Bay seemed to be .. but only found a very small part of the bay usable. And the bottom was covered w some slimy green mud and grass. Don't plan on going back there.

Thanks all,
Nice to know there's a good anchorage there especially w the park and dinghy dock. Last time we came through we anchored in Fisherman's Bay. Mooring buoys everywhere. Hard to belive how they can turn a public domain into private facilities. Was going to Spencer Spit but thought about how big and protected Fisherman's Bay seemed to be .. but only found a very small part of the bay usable. And the bottom was covered w some slimy green mud and grass. Don't plan on going back there.
Fisherman's Bay can have a surprising amount of current. Can make docking tricky. Not a great place to anchor, but I am looking forward to taking our bicycles there. The marinas are pretty good. Lopez is relatively flat and supposed to be a great biking place.

Lopez has a nice Saturday farmer's market in town. I don't know if it's a year round event; we've only been there during the spring and summer.

Sharp .. or anybody ..

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1446443266.472468.jpg

Here is a picture of Garrison Bay. English Camp and a dinghy dock is over by the flagpole.

I agree with you about Roche Harbor. Reminds me of Sun Valley in that regard,
[snip].

Ok, so I have now removed a remnant from the PO in view of all this. The sticker was on a side window in the pilothouse, low and forward. Did not really notice it.

The PO loved the place, has a condo there. Apart from one trip to Alaska all he ever did was go from Seattle to Roche. That's how you get 1935 hours on a boat in 30 years. He and his wife stayed in the condo and kids stayed on the boat. He has a place at Sun Valley too!

Attachments

• Roche Harbour YC sml.jpg
    Roche Harbour YC sml.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 50
Roche Harbor has an intersting history and is worth visiting once for that. Before I switched to flying floatplanes exclusively I flew into Roche's little runway a number of times to have lunch at the waterfront restaurant.

At that time it was little more than a funky harbor community. Then they started all the commercial development and the place took on an entirely different character. I've met a number of local boaters who used to frequent Roche "back when" but who now no longer go there. The reason given is generally the pretentious attitude and atmosphere today.

Obviously the place has great appeal to some given how crowded it's been when we've cleared customs there. But it's not the kind of experience we want out of boating.

I did that w my ultralight aircraft in the 80's. Not long after they disallowed ultralights.
Friday Harbor was a free for all pattern wise. Some comercial pilots valued time more than safety and flew straight in.

One man's Ganges is another man's Roche Harbor I suppose.

Maine is great, but requires more attentive summer seamanship (fog, lobster pots) and has smaller weather windows. Having done both, (but admittedly less in Maine), would still pick PNW if I had to pick one for a first timer vacation. Not to mention another day of travel for the man from Down Under.

Speaking of which, Melbourne Cup day today! Any punters here?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom