Old 10-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #94
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So, ASD will be pulled in two weeks. I understand the repacking proceedures, well almost, but still have a few questions.

Here is what I know so far:
  • Loosed the gland fitting and clean out all the old packing.
  • Inspect the shaft for gouging.
  • Englund Marine tells me to bring in a piece of the old packing and they will know what size I need, but I am still going to do the drill bit procedure.
  • Place the new packing around the shaft to size, cut with very sharp razor blade at a 45 degree angle.
  • Place first seal cut at 12 o'clock and push seal back into the stuffing box using a piece of PVC pipe.
  • Cut the next seal as above, but alien the cut at 6 o'clock
So questions:
  1. How much packing do I use? 3, 4 times or more?
  2. Once packed how do you first adjust the gland? Tight or somewhat snug?
  3. I know you have to have the boat in the water to properly adjust the gland, but do you tighten it until no leaks, then when under way re-adjust with in drip every so many ???? and making sure the shaft stays cool.
  4. I was told that the shaft should leak just a little while underway, but no drips stationary.
Thank you for all the advice. This is my first time doing this, so I will try and take picks too.- Tom
First off, don't sweat it too much. If you are thinking this is a big deal, it really isn't. And if you don't get the results you need, you can start over without much time lost.

1. 3-4 times should be just fine. I'd probably do 3. There is limited space in there.

2. I would go with somewhere in between. Basically tight but not as tight as humanly possible.

3. Yes. I have even had where there were no drips and the shaft stayed cool. I don't see anything wrong with that. I have also heard 1 drip per minute while not underway.

4. Ideally, yes, you were told correctly. The big deal here is that it is not slinging water all over the place while underway.

Another trick is that if your shaft is in a hard to reach place, like inside of the keep with space restrictions, I just used a hammer and a chisel or screw driver. Put the chisel into the nut and hammer away....whether tightening or loosening. Sometimes one is not able to get a wrench on it otherwise. If you can, great. But the hammer and chisel method always served me well. My past 2 boats have had dripless though.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote