• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Whitcraft by Rockwell Houseboat - $1 (U.S.A)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icky

00E0E_fDr23e9HdTk_600x450.jpg

Looking for a Whitcraft houseboat by Rockwell Co. Preferably turn-key in good shape and not need any repairs.. Size and age immaterial as long as it's mechanically sound and seaworthy. My budget is $75,000 or less. Must be a Whitcraft or something similar to Whitcraft's hull configuration. Thank you!

Wanted: V-hulled, high freeboard houseboat

00U0U_8Nb1k9jPaeQ_600x450.jpg

Looking for a V-hulled, high freeboard houseboat such as Whitcraft, Skipperliner, Tucker Marine, etc. or something similar. Preferably turn-key in good shape and not need any repairs. Diesel engines only. Size and age immaterial as long as it's mechanically sound and seaworthy. Thank you!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Are there actually any of those currently for sale? What years were they made?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Are there actually any of those currently for sale? What years were they made?

Thanks for the greeting. I've seen 3 Whitcrafts and 1 Skipperliner-all pretty much junk. It would be nice to have a large clearinghouse instead of using a broker. Age born around late 60's for the Whitcraft. I don't know about Skipperliner...

Realizing this is a trawler website, I PM'd the moderator (who graciously welcomed me to the forum), explaining that I couldn't get approval to post in "Houseboat Forum". So, you older members, please don't get upset for my request for a houseboat here! I just don't know where else to turn...

Greetings,
Mr. i. No need to apologize IMO. In spite of the 11K+ members (wow that's a big number) very few if any members, I suspect, actually own a "trawler". (Let's NOT go there again guys and gals).
The vessel you're looking for readily fits into the demographics of this site- again IMO. I wish you the best of success in your quest and don't be a stranger.

There still are many of these on the Upper Misissippi. Although they becoming more rare. You might focus your search from the Twin Cities south to about Burlington Iowa. You are probably more likely to find one away from the larger cities. There is a free sales oriented magazine centered around the river called the Scuttlebutt. It has a good representation of the marina/dealers as well as a some private ads. I think it is published in or near the Twin Cities. I seem to remember they had steel hulls although I think some were aluminum. Finding diesel power may be a challenge.

Thanks Cap'n! I'll try seeing if I can find that mag online. I was thinking if I cud find 1 cheap enuf I'd have it converted to diesel. Any opinions on alum, steel or fiber as the best to hold up to seawater?

Realizing this is a trawler website, I PM'd the moderator (who graciously welcomed me to the forum), explaining that I couldn't get approval to post in "Houseboat Forum". So, you older members, please don't get upset for my request for a houseboat here! I just don't know where else to turn...

No one is going to get upset. Well, most no one anyway. :) We ourselves struggle regularly with just what a "trawler" is, so throwing a houseboat into the mixture just makes the stew a little more spicy.

The Whitcraft and Tucker boats that I have seen appeared to be saltier than typical notions of a houseboat. They have formed bows, higher freeboard, strictly inboard power, etc. Shallow draft, admittedly, flat deadrise and rather exposed running gear. Crossing the Stream or a Great Lake on a breezy day might be a little overambitious, but you could probably go lots of places if you can take enough time to pick your weather.

FWIW, last year a Whitcraft lingered for months for sale on Craig's List here in Jacksonville, FL. Nice interior, but the engines had been removed - it was used as a floating business office at a marina. The asking price kept ticking down, though very gradually. Soon after it hit $10K OBO, the ad disappeared from CL.

A year or so before that, a nice-looking Tucker was for sale at the Acosta Creek marina, about forty miles upriver from here. It remained on the market for quite a while at a price of around $85K, as I recall. The seller eventually reported that it been bought and returned on its own bottom to Cincinnati, where those predominantly aluminum boats were built by a commercial towboat yard. That example had twin six-cylinder Perkins diesels with V-drives.

The Whitcraft and Tucker boats that I have seen appeared to be saltier than typical notions of a houseboat. They have formed bows, higher freeboard, strictly inboard power, etc. Shallow draft, admittedly, flat deadrise and rather exposed running gear. Crossing the Stream or a Great Lake on a breezy day might be a little overambitious, but you could probably go lots of places if you can take enough time to pick your weather.

Interesting. I had never heard the name before this thread, but googled some and saw some nice photos. Not a bad looking boat! I've seen the Stream flat calm before, so yeah, one could make it over to the Bahamas so long as waiting for weather is not a problem.

A vessel similar in design and concept was the 43' Pearson Portsmouth "coastal cruiser," initially built by Pearson Yachts in the early to mid 1970s, and revived briefly during the early 1980s. Typically powered with twin V-drives, either gas or diesel (the standard diesel was the ubiquitous Perkins 6-354). Lots of space and accommodations, reportedly not bad build quality. But again, exposed running gear hanging down off a relatively flat bottomed hull prone to pound in a seaway. A nice high formed bow looks seaworthy, but the almost alarmingly low freeboard aft kind of cancels that impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom