Pnw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2015

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
57 foot Halvorsen
Hi All,

we are thinking we would like to come to the states to do a couple of weeks cruising either on the ICW or PNW. In relation to the PNW wondering what is the best to do, time of year, and any suggestions for Self drive Charter vessels in that area ?

I look forward to any feedback.

regards Chris D Liberty Australia.:thumb:

If I were coming all the way from Australia, I'd do SE Alaska. Here's a charter option: Bareboat Yacht Charters - NordicTugCharters.com Not sure of any other bareboat Alaska options. May-August are good in SE Alaska.

NW Explorations, out of Bellingham, is another good option, especially if you want to do a flotilla trip. They have mostly Grand Banks for charter. NW Explorations – Charters, Marine Services and Yacht Sales

Desolation Sound Yacht Charters is a good outfit and they're in Comox, very close to Desolation Sound. Desolation Sound Yacht Charters

The further north you go, the better the cruising is in my opinion. At least if you're interested in scenery and wildlife and getting away from people. If you want to mostly be in marinas, the San Juans and Gulf Islands might be a better fit.

There are several good options in Anacortes, Bellingham, and Vancouver.

May- September has the best weather, and can be the busiest time of year to visit the PNW and charter a vessel. IMO, fall is the best time of year, as the weather is still nice, the waterways are much less crowded, and the leaves are turning brilliant colors.

Here are a few outfits to peruse that offer self drive vessels:

Anacortes Yacht Charters
Ship Harbor Yacht Charters
Crown Yacht Charters, Anacortes, Washington
NW Explorations – Charters, Marine Services and Yacht Sales
Bellingham Yacht Sales & Charter – Northwest Sabre & Back Cove Dealers
Bellhaven - Yacht Sales and Charters

C'mon up!

Chris
Good advice in posts above. Desolation Sound and the Broughtons are very sociable places to cruise in, with lots of options. I found some of the small family run marinas to be very enjoyable places to stop at. We did mostly August-September, and crowds were not really an issue. If I had to choose it would be September - Pau Hana nailed it.

Get hold of a copy of Waggoner's Guide. Preferably hardcopy although the iPad version, which has the same content, is reasonably manageable to use. From it you can pick a few areas that suit you and the time you have available, and it might influence where you charter from as well.

Fantastic great information, I will do some home work.

thanks Very much Guy's:thumb:

Cheers Chris D Liberty

If you later choose to leave the driving to someone else the Alaska Dream Cruise is by far the best. They are usually booked up a year in advance. A little expensive but worth every cent. No, the usual fine print, no relationship with them.

The exchange rate would be more favourable for you in Canada. I may seem biased (but I used to live in the Puget Sound Area), but I also believe that BC or Alaska is a better place to cruise. Add to the charter list www.cooperboating.com

Thanks for the info , very much appreciated.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Bookmark the posts of Pau Hana and Northern Spy.

ICW & PNW are two entirely different worlds from almost every perspective and the West Coast can be divided in two as well; north and south.

For now I'll make the dividing line Port Hardy on Vancouver Island. The later in the year, the farther south that boundary moves. Do a quick Google satellite view and you will understand.

Not to dampen your spirits but "a couple weeks" is an appetizer in the PNW and the north coast can be taken off the table.

This thread goes a long way to explaining that idea: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/review-my-charter-plans-19708-3.html

My suggestion would be a bare boat out of Canada in May or Sept because distance is limited, weather is still reasonable and those months bookend the really busy time. May and Sept might also provide some relief to the charter budget because...

I just did a very quick check using a 36 Grand Banks in peak season for budgeting. Obviously, bigger, faster boat equals bigger faster spending.

Based on today's exchange, that boat for a one week charter would be $7700 AU out of the US and $5300 AU out of Canada. Plus taxes and fuel.

The cruising grounds would be much the same and based on your "cup of tea" in regards to your ICW thread, I would think the Canadian Gulf Islands would be your best choice.

If you are thinking about a May to Sept booking, you should start planning now.

Last edited:
Having spent a fair amount of time cruising the PNW, and very extensively the ICW, if I had to choose one for a vacation charter, I would go with the PNW without a moment's thought. Great fleet of many vessels to choose from, great combination of wilderness and civilized destinations. Fantastic scenery. Much fewer charter options in the AICW and GICW, from a practical standpoint , SW Florida, The Bahamas (choice 1, though not sure what is available bare boat charter wise there now), the Virgin Islands and Maine are fine destinations with some choice of vessels. I am not aware of much available on the Chesapeake.

If I were coming all the way from Australia, I'd do SE Alaska. Here's a charter option: Bareboat Yacht Charters - NordicTugCharters.com Not sure of any other bareboat Alaska options. May-August are good in SE Alaska.

The further north you go, the better the cruising is in my opinion. At least if you're interested in scenery and wildlife and getting away from people.

I'd suggest SE Alaska too, for the same reasons. Two weeks out of Juneau can give you a wonderful intro to SE AK. I've taken guest crew out for 10 days to 3 weeks, many times over the last 20 years, just about everywhere up there.

Never missed a rendezvous with their flights, but we do stay very much aware of the forecast, and have had to head for port early sometimes to be sure weather will not trap our small boat out in the boonies. If you would prefer somewhat lower odds of rougher weather, you might avoid late August.

Last edited:
The BC coast is nice but there are reasons why the world's major cruise lines go right through BC without out stoping on their way to SE Alaska.

I posted this before, but in case you missed it Chris here are some aerial scenes from our trip to the Broughtons. Between that and SE Alaska you cannot go wrong!

https://youtu.be/poYHQg_Vs2E

Pretty quiet up there, when was that?

All those scenes were shot over the course of one week, July 10-17. And yes, it was nice and quiet up there all through the first two weeks of August!

Another vote for the PNW.

Benchmarking it against the Whitsundays and northern Queensland it isn't as warm but IMHO far better in every other way.

You might want to post out the type of cruise you are looking for. Short island hopping with restaurants and pubs, absolute isolation, family/destination marinas, etc. In 2 weeks you will only be able to see a fraction, so what you are looking for will help narrow it down.

Fantastic cruising - you won't regret it!

The BC coast is nice but there are reasons why the world's major cruise lines go right through BC without out stoping on their way to SE Alaska.
Not sure what you mean, but in any even, we're happy they pass by our quaint little villages instead of turning them into another Castawa Cay, thank you very much.

nmuir said:
Another vote for the PNW...
In 2 weeks you will only be able to see a fraction, so what you are looking for will help narrow it down.
I took away what Chris said on his ICW thread about day hops, exploring towns and that's why I suggested the Gulf Islands. Not really a good sampling of our coast but maybe enough to get him back for a month or three.
Liberty2015 said:
I would like to do an area where you can cruise for the day, and pull up at a new town and spend a day looking around etc and move on.

Thanks Everyone for your feedback, this is very helpful, and a lot to digest and make some decisions on what is suitable, but a great place to start.:thumb:

Cheers Chris D Liberty

I've been flying (floatplanes) and boating the PNW/BC/SE Alaska coast for over 30 years now. If someone totally unfamiliar with this region was looking to spend two weeks with a charter boat here I would recommend doing this:

Charter a boat from one of the several very good charter outfits in northern Puget Sound--- Anacortes, Bellingham, etc. Then spend the bulk of the two weeks exploring the Gulf Islands in lower BC.

The San Juan Islands have become extremely over-developed, at leat for our taste. There are certainly interesting things to see and do, but the last 20 years or so have seen a huge building boom and a big increase in tourism. So other than a couple of destinations in the islands the public does not have access to, we don't bother with the San Juans anymore.

The Gulf Islands, besides being more geographically interesting, are not nearly as developed and offer a much greater variety of destinations. There are some great anchorages if you want to anchor out. There are some nice towns if you like that sort of thing. There are a number of harbors ranging from the upscale to the funky.

The recommendation to get a copy of the Waggoner Guide is a good one. While not the best guidebook available in terms of the boating aspect of travelling these waters it does a great job of describing what there is to see and do along this whole coast.

North of the Guif Island the boating gets more remote with greater distances between stops in terms of communities. Anchoring out become more the norm as you go north and the attraction becomes more the country itself and the scenery. While the handful of communities in SE Alaska offer a lot of interesting things to see and do, during the summer season you often get to share them with three to six thousand cruise ship passengers.

So for a first-time cruise with the idea of coming away with a pretty good feel for what this area has to offer, my wife and I believe the Gulf Islands in BC are hard to beat. We have taken non-boating friends up there for two-week cruises several times, some from France, some who I used to work with in televsion in Hawaii and who'd recently moved here, and they all have enjoyed the islands immensely.

Like virtually all topics on this forum, this one has been covered countless times. A search of the archives will turn up a lot of good posts from the past, many of them listing people's favorite destinations and suggested itineraries and why they like(d) them.

Last edited:
he San Juan Islands have become extremely over-developed, at leat for our taste. There are certainly interesting things to see and do, but the last 20 years or so have seen a huge building boom and a big increase in tourism. So other than a couple of destinations in the islands the public does not have access to, we don't bother with the San Juans anymore.

Do you include Stuart, Sucia, Patos, Turn, Jones, and Cypress, for example in this evaluation? Something sure has changed in the last three years if you do.

Yes, they tend to be crowded and noisy these days. Not so much Stuart since the two harbors there are pretty big and it's a long haul to get there. We used to go to Sucia a lot during the 2000s as we have friends who lived on the island during those years. But now we don't bother with it. I'm sure there are days when it's not so bad but friends who still go there a lot say they're getting pretty tired of the crowds and the noise.

Patos only has two mooring buoys at last count and the anchoring in Active Cove is pretty iffy. We've been to Cypress a few times this summer and it was always chock full.

To us the Gulf Islands offer such a superior and more varied experience that we see no point anymore with bothering with the San Juans outside of some places that are not available to the public. We absolutely despise Roche and Deer Harbors; they couldn't pay us to go there. Friday Harbor is interesting but we've been there enough that we've pretty much done that, got the T-shirt.

There is one harbor in the San Juans that is still enjoyable to us in large part because it offers few amenities to the typical marina-hopping boater so does not attract that crowd.

But anymore the Gulf Islands are, in our opinions, such a far better and more varied cruising area than the San Juans that there is no longer even a comparison. That's why for someone who's never experienced this part of the world we always recommend spending their time north of the border. Besides the fact there are more interesting things to do and see there that floating yellow line down the middles of Boundary Pass and Haro Strait tends to keep the riffraff down south.:)

Cruise Ship Hordes in SE Alaska:

To be precise, there are three towns in SE AK where large ships dock and disgorge thousands of passengers: Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Juneau and Ketchikan sometimes have five in on the same day.

One or sometimes two at a time anchor near Sitka on some days, and mostly only one on some days near the village of Hoonah (though Hoonah is busy building a cruise ship dock). They lighter passengers ashore, in much smaller numbers.

Unless you wish to spend much of your time in these towns, you will not be surrounded by hordes of cruise ship passengers. SE AK is a big place, maybe 400 nm by 100 nm. Its total population is around 75000, about 55000 of which are in Juneau, Ketchikan, or Sitka. Most of it is "out there".

If you'd like to poke through some pictures of SE AK scenery, anchorages, and fishing, I could post links to some of my photos.

If you want to spend your time cruising, you could pick up your trawler from Juneau and return two weeks later, anchoring most or all nights. The contact you'd have with cruise ships while you're cruising could consist of seeing them occasionally as they pass by.

They can get close to you, if you happen to be floating in front of the Margerie Glacier during the 30-40 minutes when a big one one happens to be there. Or maybe heading for the glaciers up in the Tracy Arm.

Last edited:
We've been to Cypress a few times this summer and it was always chock full.

Wow, that's amazing given all the harbors there, the size of the island and the lack of any towns let alone many residents for that matter. Ditto Sucia. Of course we always went to the San Juans for the no-town islands; about as town as we ever got was to anchor off Rosario and go in for a spa day. Like a lot of cruising grounds, also more enjoyable just before and after the "season". Won't argue about the Gulf Islands as a destination, we liked to mix them in with a San Juans trip. Though its not like you can't find plenty of crowds there too if you go looking.

Thankyou everyone for all the helpful information.

Cheers Chris D Liberty :thumb:

Marin said:
The San Juan Islands...extremely over-developed...we don't bother with the San Juans anymore.
Marin said:
The Gulf Islands...not nearly as developed and offer a much greater variety of destinations...great anchorages. I believe the Gulf Islands in BC are hard to beat.
Marin said:
Gulf Islands offer such a superior and more varied experience...Gulf Islands are, in our opinions, such a far better and more varied cruising area than the San Juans...we always recommend spending their time north of the border....keep the riffraff down south.
:banghead:
Marin, cut it out!
You keep pimping the Gulf Islands and they WILL become what you hate.
Riffraff? Too late. Earlier this week I spoke to one of your southern cousins (Corpus Christi is still south of you, right?) and he was angry about Ganges being "overrun by Americans makin' wooden whistles and growin' carrots"

Hawg--- Corpus Christi is actually in a different country but yes, it is south of us.

And I don't think you need to fear the Gulf Islands (or anywhere else in BC) becoming over-run by riffraff, at least not the kind from the US. Riffraff from the UK and Germany may be a different story but since they have cool accents and know what football actually is, they're a lot easier to tolerate.

Most people from the US don't "get" BC for several reasons:

1. Americans coming across the border are soon put off by the logic, common sense and self-reliance of the folks who call the raincoast home. People who can think for themselves and aren't afraid of what... Rain? Clouds? Trees? Sharp saws? .... tend to totally baffle US citizens so they soon depart for southern climes where they can depend on the security of others doing their thinking for them.

2. BC is way scary. There are all the aforementioned trees along with huge ferns and stickerbushes with creatures living amongst them like bears, ravens, otters and banana slugs that are waiting to eat "visitors." Then there are the Orcas. Not the Walt Disney "resident" pods that eat salmon and pose for the whale watch crowd but the nasty, vicious transient pods that lunge out of the water to snag seals off the beach and love nothing so much as ripping into some poor boater's Tollycraft or Bayliner or Grand Banks and after reducing it to shards of fiberglass devour any humans who might have been inside. (This explains the popularity of metal boats up here with fishermen, water taxi operators, etc. who know better than to run around in easily chomped-up wood or glass boats.)

3. There are stretches of coastline that not only don't have a McDonalds or Jack in the Box or WalMart every couple of miles, there isn't anything for a whole lot of miles. That, to the typical American boater, is terrifying.

4. The harbors are way too funky for Americans. Take one we happen to like a lot, Telegraph Harbor on Thetis. Wooden docks with gaps between the planks that can snag a high heel shoe and that are held in place by (the horror) old creosoted piles. And to make things worse, you have to tie your boat to a bull rail. From what we've observed over the years bull rails are as baffling to Americans outside the PNW as securing the eye in a mooring line to the boat instead of the dock.

On shore there is pub. No five-star Westin or Grand Hyatt hotel with a heated horizon pool and swim-up bar. To get to the ferry that runs across to Chemainus you have to walk over the hill. No chauffeured Bentley or frilly horse-drawn carriage.

5. The very nature of the water is terrifying to most American boaters. Tidal ranges of 10 or 12 feet to up over 20 farther north cause currents and rapids and whirlpools that suck boats out of sight never to be seen again. You're pretty familiar with this coast, right Hawg? So you know that by typical BC standards, Dodd Narrows is pretty tame even in full song. But we've seen American charter folks take one look at it and do a 180 and head south at flank speed and not stop until they were tied up securely in Roche Harbor in the San Juans. And even then they were too scared to continue so had the charter company come out of Anacortes or Bellingham or wherever to retrieve the boat while they took a plane home.

So no, I don't think we have to worry much about the Gulf Islands becoming over-run like the San Juans have been. Leave aside the fact that a growing number of Americans don't even know where BC is (or Canada for that matter), the place is simply too terrifying to contemplate as a boating destination.

It even intimidates the hell out of the cruise ship captains, which is why they never stop there but beat feet as fast as they can for SE Alaska where, even though it has the same scary stuff that BC has, it's all hidden behind a veneer of Walmarts and fast food joints and souvenir stores selling plastic totem poles made in Sri Lanka.

:)

Last edited:
Many that live in SE Alaska consider that Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway are within 100 miles of Alaska. Obviously Marin's travel in SE Alaska missed the true remote and strikingly beautiful SE. Just because he choose to just review the tourist centers in SE one does not need to follow him. Clearly his review does not turn a square corner with those asking simple questions about SE and his answers are fundamentally missleading. As others noted he has a bias for another area and that is okay, but there is no need for him to slam a world class travel destination to promote his bias.

Hully ****.
Gonna find me a frame tammara fer that one.
Every Coastie I have an email for gets a copy.
Marin said:
Dodd Narrows is pretty tame even in full song.:)
When I was a pup, the kids at Church House had rope stirrups nailed up under the deck of an old Clinker and a plywood Jazz Baby to keep from getting tossed running the Yuculta, Dent and Arran rapids of Cordero Chanel.

Interesting enough, Marin, I have heard your words more than a couple times this past summer in Sidney. Depending what happens over the next year or so, we may see a big jump in our GDP.
:hide:

Back
Top Bottom