View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #46
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
With your small transom length, you will be limited in the size of dinghy that you can hoist across the transom on davits, and the size of the outboard. You won't get a dinghy that will give you true freedom, by allowing you a dry ride at 20mph or so. To get that, you will need to tow. I often tow my Caribe 12' with 40 hp, so I get the freedom and although I carry my dinghy on transom mounted davits, I know what hassles there are to towing. I once towed a 19' outdrive Hard speedboat. I only did it once, as the mass of that boat, at 1500 lb or more, turned it into a projectile when I slowed the big boat, requiring a dedicated crew member to keep it under control while maneuvering. Towing the 12' RIB, which weighs 750 lb, is much less hassle. It is its own fender, so I don't need to be concerned about damage caused by allowing it to romp around behind me. I keep it close at all speeds, on a painter that can't reach to the props, so I never need to even know where it is until I get where it could get between the big boat and its dock, and then it is easy to move. I always keep the outboard tilted up. I have never been in conditions where it could flip, and if you are in the San Juans and travel to the Broughtons, you never will.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote