View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #45
smitty477
Guru

City: Northport
"There has been some discussion on here that thelines would bind on the stern cleats of the big boat using this technique, butI have not had a problem with that. I can see how it could possibly be an issueat higher speeds or with a heavier boat. I tow about 35' back."
Hello Doug,
The 19' inflatable Nautica in the above picture was nevera problem and was above your 1500#'s without fuel - and we often had near 65gallons of fuel on board as well. I do believe any reasonably well chosen towbridle will be just fine at the cleats as we towed often at 16-17 knots and ashigh as 20 for brief periods of time.
One of the keys was to tow behind the 2nd wave and for usthat is a bit over 90'.
If that is not enough to make you more comfortable wealso towed a 24' RibCat that weighed in at about 3,200#'s with very similar results- the boat was more steady at the stern in poor weather.
One thing not mentioned here yet is that we did prop fortowing as well as heavy loads so the boat would still pull the required WOTrating +3-5% when towing.
In each case we made sure of the following:
- Towed boat had two well affixed and backed tow points
- Tow line was 3X working strength of estimated load
- Tow line had chafe attached at each joint and as necessary
- Tow line had a method for easy attach and removal
- Tow line floated and was easily coiled (amsteel)
- Floats attached where necessary
- Line at towing boat was very easy to attach to cleats
Here is a pic of the 24 under tow at about 16-17 knots...

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote