View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #44
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I have not tried towing my flat's boat (it's an 18' action craft with with a 115 hp etec, weighs about 1,500 lbs) at fast cruise with the mainship which is 15 knots, but I have towed it quite a bit with our old boat at around 8 knots. Most of the time, even in 2 to 4 the decks of the skiff wouldn't even get wet.

What I do at that speed is use two 5/8 polypro lines with thimbles spliced into one end. I use carabiners to connect the end of one tow line to the bow eye and the end of the other towline to the bow cleat on the skiff. I tie the other end of each tow line to each stern cleat on the big boat. I like the redundancy of the two lines with two attachment points in case one fails. The two lines also allow some lateral adjustment while underway.

There has been some discussion on here that the lines would bind on the stern cleats of the big boat using this technique, but I have not had a problem with that. I can see how it could possibly be an issue at higher speeds or with a heavier boat. I tow about 35' back.

I'm planning a Bahamas trip towing the skiff in the spring with the mainship, and I plan to run at higher speeds some, so I guess I will find out how it works. I'm planning on beefing up the bow eye on the skiff.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote