Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscar: My personal experience and those of several friends is that the Cummins 5.9 and 8.3l mechanical engines in the years you are considering are hard to beat. Great support, simple inline 6 design that seems designed for rugged use in trucks etc.

If I were to buy another boat Cummins would be my first choice. Again though you need to get an engine strong enough in displacement, not just HP, to properly power your boat the way you intend to operate it.

Is Pascoe still around? I seem to remember he peaked about when Cat was making the 3116. His anecdotal engine writings seemed short on facts and long on generalizations. Seldom did he mention the need for correct propping on larger planing vessels and how overloading could crater an otherwise good engine.

I've read his stuff about diesels rarely lasting more than 1,500-2,000 hours or some such. Seems like many of the situations he describes might be due to poor maintenance, overpropping, poor matching of engine to boat or desired speed, running at too high power levels, etc.

Just for one counter example, my Volvo KAD44P, an electronic supercharged and turbocharged 260 hp at 3800 RPM from 3.6 liters (72 hp/liter - HORRORS!), is still chugging away in fine shape after 17 years and 6500 hours, with regular maintenance and only very moderate (except for the stendrive) repairs, mostly (except for the sterndrive) done by me - only a moderately decent mechanic.

It has given me the far greater fuel economy (vs gas), and thus range on a tank, that my cruising needed. And the longevity I wanted.

Very early on, thanks to Volvo's regional tech wizards and boatdiesel.com, I learned to calibrate the tach, prop it to 3850 RPM at WOT, not cruise too close to WOT, and take very good care of belts and sterndrive. And after the first 2000 hours or so, I switched from running 17-18 knots and 3300-3400 RPM to a very pleasant 6 knots and 1400 RPM most of the time. So I haven't worked it as hard as I might have, but I'm happy with it.

P.S. If I had my druthers I'd still pick Cummins.

Last edited:
12 mo from subscription date. In fact, if you renew before the 12 mo is out, they add another 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom