Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #33
Donsan
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
So I've been convinced that maybe a new protocol might be good for the marine world...

On the issue of SNMP over wireless that's easy. If a device has a IP address and a SNMP client, and the UDP ports are not blocked the media (wired or wireless) is not relevant.

We are doing more and more networking over cellular for mobile applications. We have dedicated ip addressing and are using SNMP to manage the remote routers
I haven't been involved with SNMP in a long time. 15-20 years ago we had some very expensive network management software IIRC from HP. It more or less required skilled dedicated labor. A nice large screen with a view of the network was set up and when visitors came through the shop, they were always impressed with the network display. In reality, we found it totally worthless. Can't remember all the issues we had with it but there were a lot of false positives and false negatives. After a year or so, we finally pitched the whole thing and wrote it off as a bad investment. Hopefully SNMP is more reliable and useful today. I suspect if you are just managing remote routers, it might be useful but we were trying to manage every device on a large corporate network on a FO backbone. I have nothing but cuss words for SNMP. IMHO, it is IT hypeware.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote