Old 10-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #27
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
For what its worth I have had a bit of experience with ipad navigation and for me isailor is easily the best, simplest, best charts, course up option its very good.
I have tried and still look at Navionivcs, Inavx and memory map, and only use isailor now together with Raymarine on my main plotter.

I run two ipads upstairs and down in pilothouse, I find that I pretty much use the ipads.

Interesting fact though my original ipad was a ipad2 non retina, I recently bought ipad3rd gen retina, I can tell you the old ipad 2 is better because the gen 2 is good on power, the gen 3 needs so much power that even when in its charging cradle when on all the time, navigating , the battery will still run out...it has a new battery as Apple replaced it when I complained. I think its the screen and the processor bad on battery!

So Ipad 2 non retina will go all day and night, retina will have to be turned off at times to allow the battery to catch up!

Maybe the newer models are better but my charging cradles are for these models so I have stuck to them.
I have an I-Pad with Garmin Blue Chart. It works but in my opinion is inferior in every way (except for lack of Active Captain integration) to Navionics which I run on my Samsung Note Pro 12.2 And, having an I-Pad and a Note Pro I also opine that the Note Pro is far superior to the older I-Pad have. As for the newest I-Pads, they are nearly equal to the Note Pros but cost way, way more and do not have a port for adding micro sd chip memory. No, I am not an Apple hater or an Android fanboy, just a user who has used both Apple and Androids products (phones, too), made the comparison on functionality and value, and am sticking to Android products in the future. IMHO, Apple products no longer are in the category of "getting what you pay for". They charge an big premium based solely on reputation not reflective of real value. Okay, I'm suited up in protective Kevlar ready for your slings and arrows.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote