Autopilot help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi All,
I have a ComNav auto pilot with wood freeman hydraulics. The issue I'm having is that the auto pilot steers to the heading properly and then about an hour after use, it stops working. You can see the ComNav "pointing" to which direction the rudder is suppose to move but the rudders don't move in the desired direction. I've checked the steering fluid levels.... All good there.
I've also, shut the system down and rebooted several times, but the rudders are not responding to the autopilot.
Does the wood freeman system need to be rebuilt?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Taras

If you contact Comnav directly they should be able to help if the problem is with their product.

What model do you have? Some of the old Comnav products are no longer supported and you will be encouraged to buy a later model. Bummer, I know, they are expensive. I thought I would have to replace mine but managed to get it running again, because of their propensity to not support older models I would be very unlikely to buy another of their products, even though I really like mine and think it is well made. They are commonly used on large boats too.

Does yours get heading information off the compass? Check that the device on the bottom of the compass has not become loose. I dismantled my control head and cleaned all the contacts, about all you can do except for bad caps, that seemed to help as it hadn't failed since.

Your post doesn't say where you are or much else so that's all I can add.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom