Lazarette builders Queensland Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grant.gurney

Vessel Name
Espray
Vessel Make
Norman Wright
We are looking to purchase an Island Gypsy 44 or Defever 44 aft cabin trawler. One of the issues with aft cabins is access to the duck board down the aft deck ladder. We have seen photos of some excellent lazarettes on similar boats which amongst other things provide simple access to the duck board.

Does anyone know of any people in Brisbane or the Gold Coast area who design and build lazarettes. Even people based in Sydney would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Basically you are talking about a hull extension. A common rule of thumb is that you can get away with adding 10% of the boats LOA without needing to move running gear. But you should get an NA to design the attachment and GRP layup. Pick a yard and someone you are comfortable working with (know, trust etc), they will know some NA's who can provide the details. You may not be able to get a fixed price quote. Hence the trust aspect. It can get expensive - time adds up rapidly when doing that kind of work. But it's not rocket science and you need not spend a fortune. However, see below. Its likely more cost effective to buy something with what you want already in place: a different model boat.

For my 50' OA there are quite a lot that have had a 5' extension added. The original designer (Ed Monk) did drawings for some folks but I don't know whether everyone sought his advice. I considered it a few years ago, while the boat was in the USA. Two large yards who had done it on OA Mk1's previously told me it would run to about $120k to do it properly, by which they included a hull paint job in order to ensure the join was not really visible. The paint job was a big cost item though. The props, rudders etc were not going to be moved either. Although I think such an extension would be a huge benefit, I was not inclined to proceed at the time. One day, maybe.

Last edited:
Basically you are talking about a hull extension. p

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't really thinking of a hull extension but maybe that is my naivety and the hull extension is what is required.

My thoughts on the Lazarette were along the lines of boot style compartment attached to the transom. I have seen something similar on an island gypsy 44 advertised as an island gypsy 47. I didn't think the attachment was structural but maybe I was wrong.

I'll start with a couple of yards down at Horizon Shores, we keep our current boat there from time to time when our son's pontoon is not being rented out.

Grant
Ok, I think I see what you are getting at. It would be simple to bolt a box of some kind onto the transom above the waterline for storage. I have seen a few live bait tanks done like that. But most of them cover a large part of the duckboard, which may not be ideal.

I`ve seen the advert for that 44/47 IG, I suspect IG did not build that transom, it looks much like a dinghy "garage" addition, involving a lot of work, and good for storage.
Europa and sedan IGs like mine have a vast lazzarette accessed by hatches in the cockpit deck. Sundeck and aft cabin versions use that area(or much of it) for accommodation, I think the 44/47 you identify is a sundeck version.

Grant,

it might pay to get in touch with Aquabelle , who had an extension completed at Port Stephens a few years ago. It looks great and after communicating with Paul the owner, he seems pleased with it.

He had a guy called Steve Nichols Marine Designs in NSW do the line and structural design.

Our vessel is a custom Aft Cabin Halvorsen 57 feet ( built at Kong Halvorsen), she was built with a cockpit and a door from the cockpit to the main aft cabin, which we really like. We have some pictures on our forum home site, I think we have some of the stern on there ?

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Grant,

pictures of the Stern. I know this is not quite what you are after.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Attachments

• 2013-01-30 04.29.12.jpg
    2013-01-30 04.29.12.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013-01-30 04.29.22 - Copy.jpg
    2013-01-30 04.29.22 - Copy.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-01-30 05.07.54.jpg
    2013-01-30 05.07.54.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 92
I'd check or maybe go walk around Gold Coast City Marina on the Coomera River in QLD. We spent 2 months getting various projects done there and were amazed at the number of services including several shipwrights. Being next door to where Riviera can't hurt.

Grant,

pictures of the Stern. I know this is not quite what you are after.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input here. Thats a neat entry into the aft cabin, quite nice indeed. I will follow up on the suggestions you made, its always good to talk with people who have had similar work done before.

G

I'd check or maybe go walk around Gold Coast City Marina on the Coomera River in QLD. We spent 2 months getting various projects done there and were amazed at the number of services including several shipwrights. Being next door to where Riviera can't hurt.

Hi Folks

Thanks for the heads up, yes I agree thats not a bad idea, a simple wander around at the Gold Coast City marina could do no harm.

Will keep you posted.

G

Back
Top Bottom