iPad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
I have decided to get an iPad and software for my back up navigation. What should I be looking for in each? Thanks in advance to all you techies!:confused::confused::confused:

WiFi + 3G (the version with a data plan) because it has a true GPS chip vice the AGPS (assisted GPS) in the WiFi only model.

Software- get the Navionics app and you're set.

I agree on the WIFI +3G...and you do not have to purchase a data plan for the GPS chip to function. I have an iPad Air2 with the GPS chip and use iSailor for backup navigation. Its inexpensive, very accurate in my area with regular updates.

I recently added the data plan and now use it as my hot spot when away from WIFI and that has turned out to be a great benefit.

One thing you might consider is getting a nav app that synchronizes with ActiveCaptain. Doing so allows you to create a route in any program that will export in the .gpx format, upload the route to ActiveCaptain and then synchronize the app with ActiveCaptain. Your previously created route will now display in the ipad nav app. MX Mariner for example will do this.

You can always Bluetooth an external antennae device to a regular old non-3G iPad too. The puck stays in place whilst the iPad can move around. This way you can get glonass satellites too.

I have a Garmin Glo. Bad Elf is another highly rated brand.

Ipad

Appreciate the information. Why would I want a data plan? What size of ram would be recommended? 16, 32, 64 or 128 gb? Thanks again.:confused:

Garmin Bluechart works well with the iPad and works with Active Captain.

The data plan let's you have up to date weather reports and weather radar while on the water, Active Captain updates, etc. I wouldn't get one without the 3G.

Appreciate the information. Why would I want a data plan? What size of ram would be recommended? 16, 32, 64 or 128 gb? Thanks again.:confused:

You don't necessarily need a data plan- but you'll want the iPad that is data plan capable (and the carrier doesn't matter).

Size- it's a computer, so more is better. We have the 64gb iPad, and it serves all our needs.

Learning a lot, now the next question in researching is some advertise that the Ipad is unlocked. What is the unlocked? What is the difference between 3g and 4g? Thanks again

Last edited:
Unlocked/jailbroken means that you have access to the operating system and can install more third party programs and apps. Apple is know for locking their operating system and limiting access to a limited group.

IMO it's not worth the time or effort. Apple works well enough as it is for your intended usage.

ipad

Unlocked/jailbroken means that you have access to the operating system and can install more third party programs and apps. Apple is know for locking their operating system and limiting access to a limited group.

IMO it's not worth the time or effort. Apple works well enough as it is for your intended usage.

Thanks for all your information. I boat is S.E. Alaska where wifi is almost non existent. In your experience would a data plan be worth it? Difference between 3g and 4g?

Speed is the difference. I did mis-speak, as the latest iPads are 4G vice 3G. The data plan is a pay as you go thing, so no contract (as least it is with AT&T).

More importantly, you'll have an iPad with the true GPS chip.

iPad and iSailor with a Dual external GPS ($99.00 Amazon) is what I use. You can import and export all your routes in .gpx format so transferring from say Garmin to iSailor or vice versa is a piece of cake.

Mine is not a wifi version. Wifi is great when you are within range but useless otherwise. Is the added cost worth it? That's for you to decide.

Again. You don't need to buy the iPad with the GPS chip or 3G or 4G wireless. You can Bluetooth an external device to any iPad.

There are advantages and disadvantages.

One advantage is that GLONASS satellites operate at a higher orbit inclination, 64°, instead of 55° for GPS. This will give you better coverage at higher latitude.

Another advantage is that it gives you access to twice as many signals, which not only fixes faster, but the antenna is more likely to find a signal when you are in a fjord or behind a mountain.

Things people in the lower 48 don't think about.

Ipad

Speed is the difference. I did mis-speak, as the latest iPads are 4G vice 3G. The data plan is a pay as you go thing, so no contract (as least it is with AT&T).

More importantly, you'll have an iPad with the true GPS chip.

Looks like I've narrowed it down to the Ipad 4th generation 4g with Retina Display 64gb wifi + LTE and the software would be Navionics. Now the search begins for the best price. I think I've run out of questions for the moment.:)
Thanks again for your informative help in helping me understand!

Ipad

Again. You don't need to buy the iPad with the GPS chip or 3G or 4G wireless. You can Bluetooth an external device to any iPad.

One advantage is that GLONASS satellites operate at a higher orbit inclination, 64°, instead of 55° for GPS. This will give you better coverage at higher latitude.

Another advantage is that it gives you access to twice as many signals, which not only fixes faster, but the antenna is more likely to find a signal when you are in a fjord or behind a mountain.

Something to think about! How would that be any different than my standard GPS that is mounted on the boat?:confused:

GPS is US, GLONASS is Russian.

Some electronics use both, some just GPS.

It also depends how many signals are used and tracked for a fix.

Actually, it appears that 3rd gen iPads on up (with 3G 4G) also use GLONASS, they just don't advertise it. They use 4 signals for a fix.

Another software to consider is Max Sea. I have it on my Ipad. It seems to work well.

If your cellphone tethers, to form a mobile network with the iPad you can probably try that first. Your phone already has a data plan.

The 3G versions do have GPS, a must-have and many carriers allow a modest add-on to your existing account for a tablet. And the Russian version GLONASS as mentioned. So you get two legs on pinochle.

There's a chart of the iPad specs at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

Last edited:
I'm using a Ipad 4th generation 4g with Retina Display 64gb wifi with Navionics. Battery life isn't that good so I'm looking at the possibility of using my 15"Macbook Pro Retina that has fantastic battery life and my poor old eyes don't need to strain so much.

Point taken. Counterpoint- why have an external device (and another piece of gear adrift) when the the ipad with the hardware installed is available. Pricing is the only delta I can think of- and $130 isn't all that much money.

Point taken. Counterpoint- why have an external device (and another piece of gear adrift) when the the ipad with the hardware installed is available. Pricing is the only delta I can think of- and $130 isn't all that much money.

Most of my argument was made for GLONASS capability. I do understand that the external GPS is more reliable as it is not subject to Apple's power management system. The pilots I know all use external antennas because of this.

I wouldn't know as mine is not cell capable.

That said, I did have a wobble with my Garmin GLO earlier this year when Apple IOS changed. Bad Elf and Dual users did not.

I've got iNavX on my iPad with the CHS, NOAA, (both raster) and Navionics charts (vector). That's some $650 in charts. It's an iPad 2 and after 4 years is starting to show its age. Apple buggers around with the IOS a lot. The later versions of IOS slow the older units down A LOT! I have hesitated upgrading beyond 7.1.2. My wife just upgraded hers and it has basically crippled it.

So figure on 3-4 years of functional life with an iPad. NB: iNavX informs me the CHS charts Han be migrated to a me iPad. They will provide the details when I go down that road.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Further to the IOS issue: the newer apps will not work on an older IOS, and you have to be careful about updating older apps as well as these, once updated may not function with the old IOS.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

You might at least consider an android tablet. I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for almost 2 years and am very happy with it. Android has many more choices in hardware and all the important apps are availlable except Garmin's Blue chart mobile.

For what its worth I have had a bit of experience with ipad navigation and for me isailor is easily the best, simplest, best charts, course up option its very good.
I have tried and still look at Navionivcs, Inavx and memory map, and only use isailor now together with Raymarine on my main plotter.

I run two ipads upstairs and down in pilothouse, I find that I pretty much use the ipads.

Interesting fact though my original ipad was a ipad2 non retina, I recently bought ipad3rd gen retina, I can tell you the old ipad 2 is better because the gen 2 is good on power, the gen 3 needs so much power that even when in its charging cradle when on all the time, navigating , the battery will still run out...it has a new battery as Apple replaced it when I complained. I think its the screen and the processor bad on battery!

So Ipad 2 non retina will go all day and night, retina will have to be turned off at times to allow the battery to catch up!

Maybe the newer models are better but my charging cradles are for these models so I have stuck to them.

For what its worth I have had a bit of experience with ipad navigation and for me isailor is easily the best, simplest, best charts, course up option its very good.
I have tried and still look at Navionivcs, Inavx and memory map, and only use isailor now together with Raymarine on my main plotter.

I run two ipads upstairs and down in pilothouse, I find that I pretty much use the ipads.

Interesting fact though my original ipad was a ipad2 non retina, I recently bought ipad3rd gen retina, I can tell you the old ipad 2 is better because the gen 2 is good on power, the gen 3 needs so much power that even when in its charging cradle when on all the time, navigating , the battery will still run out...it has a new battery as Apple replaced it when I complained. I think its the screen and the processor bad on battery!

So Ipad 2 non retina will go all day and night, retina will have to be turned off at times to allow the battery to catch up!

Maybe the newer models are better but my charging cradles are for these models so I have stuck to them.

I have an I-Pad with Garmin Blue Chart. It works but in my opinion is inferior in every way (except for lack of Active Captain integration) to Navionics which I run on my Samsung Note Pro 12.2 And, having an I-Pad and a Note Pro I also opine that the Note Pro is far superior to the older I-Pad have. As for the newest I-Pads, they are nearly equal to the Note Pros but cost way, way more and do not have a port for adding micro sd chip memory. No, I am not an Apple hater or an Android fanboy, just a user who has used both Apple and Androids products (phones, too), made the comparison on functionality and value, and am sticking to Android products in the future. IMHO, Apple products no longer are in the category of "getting what you pay for". They charge an big premium based solely on reputation not reflective of real value. Okay, I'm suited up in protective Kevlar ready for your slings and arrows.

Looks like I've narrowed it down to the Ipad 4th generation 4g with Retina Display 64gb wifi + LTE and the software would be Navionics. Now the search begins for the best price. I think I've run out of questions for the moment.:)
Thanks again for your informative help in helping me understand!

I have a Retina iPad Air 16gb + 4gLTE. If you are just using the iPad for boat stuff, 16gb is fine. If you plan to take a lot of pictures or videos, you might want more storage. I plan to upgrade to the new iPad Pro with a 12.9" display. It will be a 4g LTE version.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses and information. It's great to be associated with fellow boaters who will share.

Garmin Bluechart works well with the iPad and works with Active Captain.

The data plan let's you have up to date weather reports and weather radar while on the water, Active Captain updates, etc. I wouldn't get one without the 3G.

You might at least consider an android tablet. I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for almost 2 years and am very happy with it. Android has many more choices in hardware and all the important apps are availlable except Garmin's Blue chart mobile.

Both good points. I've seen the BlueChart on Giggitoni's iPad and it's impressive, especially the AC interface.

I use a Samsung Note8 like timjet. I didn't purchase it for nav use, but it works well with Navionics. It's another source of info for me at the helm and also serves as a hotspot for the laptops while underway. I also have Active Captain compatible nav apps on the tablet but hardly use them.

My primary nav computer is a simple $150 Asus notebook running free OpenCPN. Its 10-11 inch screen and laptop convenience suits us well and eliminates the need for another tablet mounting system. It is, by far, the most affordable nav system I could come up with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom