Film from the Scottish boat buildind in the 60'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User915

I found the attached film from the late 60s about boat building.

https://vimeo.com/94950848

It was made in a local yard in Scotland.

Sadly, the yard, the men and these skills are lost for ever.

The sound quality is poor, however, the overall content is pleasing.

Enjoy my friends.

Very cool Oliver, thanks for posting.

The engine was a Gardner 8 LXB, one of the best heavy duties marine, traction and industrial gen set engines ever made and extremely fuel efficient.

Great video to watch. I kept thinking how OSHA would have had a field day if they were around way back then. That was a beautiful boat, and to think it was all done without any CAD/CAM programs or computers, etc.

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. omc. Mr. GFC. I was thinking the same thing about OSHA particularly when the fellow rode the pilot house on board. Too bad the commentary wasn't in English.

Glad you liked the video. I was thinking the same thing as well about the French "OSHA" !

Yes, no CAD, no computer, but a very good boat. Amazing !

Wow, visit Scotland regularly. Will have to try and find the spot!

Enjoyed the watching men using an adze. Our yacht club has a caulking hammer and tools in a display case. The elderly gentleman who donated them said the sound of the hammer told you when you were "home." Hey, the Bach was pretty good too.

... Too bad the commentary wasn't in English.
Thanks for posting omc.
RTF, for that comment, expect a visit from a large man in a kilt carrying a club.

Thanks for posting omc.
RTF, for that comment, expect a visit from a large man in a kilt carrying a club.

Maybe in a way the Gaelics got their own back in the Rugby World Cup. Sorry guys, but North America - both of you, have a ways to go in Rugby it would appear...see Polls B & D

Rugby World Cup

:hide:

PS. The final is between NZ and Australia, funnily enough this coming Saturday night for you people - some God-awful time Sunday morning for us. It should be a very good and tight game. It'll make watching gridiron footy look like watching grass grow.
Either way, one of my teams wins... :whistling:

Last edited:
Sadly, the yard, the men and these skills are lost for ever.

Very nice!

That yard and those men may be gone, but the skills aren't lost. Wooden boats are still being built and maintained today using the same techniques.

Twas interesting that they showed them lofting the design.

The one skill that might be disappearing is the manual drafting.... I wonder if they even teach that in school anymore or just jump to CAD....

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom